Best Restaurants in Columbia

BryCola

I have a restaurant question. I looked for the thread that we used to have here about restaurants, but couldn't find it.

I have a guest coming into town next weekend, and he's never been to Columbia...or even South Carolina for that matter. I want to take him to a nice restaurant downtown. So the question is, where would y'all take someone that had never been here before?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason you couldnt find it is because it doesnt exist. We had a thread about restaurants the Columbia should have, but not one dedicated to restaurants alone.

My reccomendation is The Rhino Room. Its on Gervais. Its a great little restaurant with great food, staff, atmosphere, etc.

Bry, it depends on the guy. If he's somewhat worldly I would take him to Baan Sawaan, Mediterranean Tea Room, Al Amir, Bull Market, Garibaldi's or Dianne's on Devine. If not, I would recommend Blue Marlin, Mr. Friendly's, Villa Tronco or Longhorn's.

Oops! How could I forget Hampton Street Vineyard for the first list!

Edited by waccamatt

Longhorn's is so generic though (even if its good) ;)

Yes, but note that I listed in in the part "if he's not too worldly, lol". I have lots of friends that love to try new and interesting restaurants and then I have some friends that just don't want to try anything too exotic. They drive me crazy, because I don't like chicken wings, but I love them nonetheless.

Lol true. :) I just always make it a point to take people to local restaurants because when I'm in a new city, I don't want to eat at some place that we have back home. Besides, I'm assuming from his post that the guy wants someplace good and someplace local.

Thanks Spartan...the thread about restaurants Columbia SHOULD have is what I meant. And you're right...I'm looking for a place that he can't go to at home. I've been to the Rhino Room, and always liked it, but someone told me that they have new managment, and it's gone downhill.

Matt...I'd say "yes" to the wordly thing...much more so than me. LOL That's why I need some suggestions. I don't even know where Baan Sawaan, Mediterranean Tea Room, or Al Amir are.

And thanks for the suggestions. :)

MoMo's Bistro on Devine (in the same strip as Za'a). It's by far one of the best places to eat in Cola. The last time I went with 7 people, and all 7 raved about what they got.

Mr. Friendly's is also great. I heard that Solstice (same owner as Mr. Fs) @ Sandhill is also great, but I've also heard that it's impossible to get into.

Meidterranean Tea Room and Al Amir are both off of Devine past 5 points... Al Amir is one of the best restaraunts in columbia as I am concerned. The food there is amazing

It's funny you say this. I have eaten there a couple times. It is good. I am Persian and while growing up, I ate food better than this on a daily basis. My dad's kabobs are the best I've had anywhere. I am told that is is better than can be had in the middle east! Now that I'm married and my wife does not even like cooking (I do), I look forward to going to restaurants like this.

Edited by shahram72

There is a great taqueria I went to off of I-26 between Riverbanks & Irmo - really great pork. I'm always fond of snacking & drinking at the Hunter & Gatherer - just a great hang out spot.

Otherwise - my friend is fortunately a great chef so he usually feeds me when I'm in town (yesterday). He does serve at a coffee shop he manages south of the capital as well as baked goods at the market on Saturdays.

I second Rhino Room and Mr. Friendly's. Both places were outstanding. Motor Supply Co. is supposedly outstanding as well for fine dining. I had a killer time at Delaney's watching the world cup final. Fun bar.

Try the catfish at Mr. Friendly's. It's some of the best I've had outside of Mississippi. :thumbsup:

For those who enjoy fish and shellfish, I'd add Mangia! Mangia! Their cioppino is fabulous.

Sorry but Mangia Mangia just closed. I hear that a new place will be opening there soon called Terra that will feature fresh, local produce.

If you're looking for shellfish, Oyster Bar Columbia has good scallops, shrimp, crab legs and (of course) oysters shucked while you wait.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey people, I was wondering what is the best sushi restaurants here in Columbia? I usually know most of the great places, but I realize most of my sushi experiences have been out of town. :whistling: My current favorite is Tsunami in Charleston, and I try to go when I can (nothing like traveling for great food, try the dragon rolls)! :yahoo: But whats the best place here. And by best I mean atmosphere and food! I wish there was a Tsunami here. :cry:

Hey people, I was wondering what is the best sushi restaurants here in Columbia? I usually know most of the great places, but I realize most of my sushi experiences have been out of town. :whistling: My current favorite is Tsunami in Charleston, and I try to go when I can (nothing like traveling for great food, try the dragon rolls)! :yahoo: But whats the best place here. And by best I mean atmosphere and food! I wish there was a Tsunami here. :cry:

For sushi I like Sushi Yoshi in 5 Points, Makato on Two Notch and Thai Lotus on Saint Andrews Road. A new sushi bar called Sakitumi is opening soon in the Vista where the Rhino Room was. I'll try it as soon as it opens.