Best Restaurants in Columbia

BryCola

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's ironic is I saw the signage for the new sushi spot in the vista today for the first time. is the restaurant owned by the same people and ran by the same management team?

I don't think so; I stopped by there today at lunch. They are opening for dinner starting on Monday and for lunch at the first of the year. I'm always happy when a new sushi bar opens.

Edited by waccamatt

• 1 month later...

is the sushi place on Assembly still open? I can't remember the name of it (helpful, I know!)...

Also - Is Palmetto's still open?

Camon on Assembly is still open - but only for dinner. There is a hot new sushi place called Saki Tumi open in the former "Rhino Room" location and a second new grill and sushi bar called Tsunami is opening in the Club Ra complex on Gervais Street. There are alot of sushi places around called "Tsunami" so I wish they had come up with a more original name, lol.

I wish Columbia could get a Hymn's Seafood Restaurant. I just love the one that's in Charleston!!!!!! The food there is excellent and it's a well known restaurant in that area.

If u want really great seafood, try Harbor Inn Seafood on W. Main St in Lexington. Great prices and the food is incredible.

I wonder if the new Tsunami will be by the people from in Charleston? :blush: Tsunami in Chuck Town is "GGRRREEEAAAT!" :thumbsup:

There is a really really great seafood place in Winnsboro called Captin's Galley! Look it up check it out, you wont be disapointed. They have weekly all you can eat specials including crab legs. :yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...

Camon on Assembly is still open - but only for dinner. There is a hot new sushi place called Saki Tumi open in the former "Rhino Room" location and a second new grill and sushi bar called Tsunami is opening in the Club Ra complex on Gervais Street. There are alot of sushi places around called "Tsunami" so I wish they had come up with a more original name, lol.

Seasame Inn by the B&N on Harbison is going to start doing sushi soon. They're kind of retooling their menu, I think.

I wonder if the new Tsunami will be by the people from in Charleston? :blush: Tsunami in Chuck Town is "GGRRREEEAAAT!" :thumbsup:

There is a really really great seafood place in Winnsboro called Captin's Galley! Look it up check it out, you wont be disapointed. They have weekly all you can eat specials including crab legs. :yahoo:

I looked for a website, but couldn't find one. I drove by there today and it looks like they'll be opening soon. I'm not sure if they're affiliated with any of the other "Tsunami's" around the country; it seems to be the most common name for a sushi restaurant. I understand Saki Tumi is excellent, but I haven't made it there yet.

• 2 weeks later...

What does tapas mean? I've seen it used in free times, but what kind of food is it?

Tapas is a meal usually made up of small appetizers where you might order 4 or 5 different items instead of, say, an appetizer and a main course. The food is usually Mediterranean inspired and I believe the concept originated in Spain. I highly recommend Gervais and Vine, both for the Tapas and the vino.

Well, while this restaurant is not in the downtown area, I recently visited Solstice Kitchen . I must give a thumbs up to this place! :good: It was great. Great atmosphere, good food, great service. The oysters were great, as was the bread. The entree presentation was wonderful. I enjoyed the flat iron steak, however it was a tad dry as was my friends filet. This may have been our fault, as we ordered them medium well, or the fact that it was late in the evening. I doubt this is the case with all the food and probably was a rare case. Besides that everything was great. I really enjoyed the mocha cheesecake. :alc: The staff was quite attentive and polite and the chef even made rounds through the dining room. I really enjoyed myself and look forward to returning soon! :yahoo:

Edited by TheCarolinaKing

Tapas is a meal usually made up of small appetizers where you might order 4 or 5 different items instead of, say, an appetizer and a main course. The food is usually Mediterranean inspired and I believe the concept originated in Spain. I highly recommend Gervais and Vine, both for the Tapas and the vino.

Thanks. I guess I've dined tapas before and didn't know it! My wife and I will frequently get a few appettizers and split them between us.

Thanks for the Grvais and Vine tip, too.

• 1 month later...

I've become a new believer in Vella's Deli on Knox Abbott. Wednesday nights their ribs are on special - and they're good. Good service, too.

Fallen in love with Hudson's BBQ out on 378 W. Columbia. Mmmmmmmm.

Good locally owned restaurants recently closed: The Palace and Rupert's Blue Dog on Gervais, and Sike's BBQ on 378 in Horrell Hill area.

The Palace had wonderful fried chicken. Blue Dog (now The Whig) had the very best burgers and raw fries anywhere. Sike's was fine 'que. So sad.

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up eating at Sike's. After their dad dies, the boys didn't seem to be all that interested in the 'cue, and the flavor really went downhill. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it, but confirmed it for myself.

Mr. Bunky's is a pretty good establishment, but not 'cue oriented. I like that country store vibe.

Best Pizza: Tony's Pizza in Cayce on Knox Abbott Dr.(the one in the plaza, not the other one)

Best Subs: Ditto

Best Chinese: Chen's on Two Notch (behind Taco Bell in the Food Lion plaza)

Best Greek: Zorba's

Best Steakhouse: Texas Roadhouse

Best Italian: Olive Garden(I know its a chain yeah yeah lol)

Best Mexican: Casa Linda HANDS DOWN! (There are 2 locations Beltline and Garners Ferry)

Best Wing Joint: Wild Wings

Best Burgers: Too Many to name!

Best Salads: California Dreaming, Ruby Tuesday's salad bar is awesome, Just Fresh

Best Burrito: Moe's!

Best Quesadilla: Chili's!

Best Seafood: I HATE SEAFOOD!

Best Ice Cream: Marble Slab for the frozen yogurt, I like Cold Stone's Bday Remix, and Baskin Robbin is an old fav also

Best Buffet: Buffetts disgust me

Best French Fries: CALIFORNIA DREAMING! Oh, and believe it or not Rust(off Gervais st.) has awesome fries too

Best Southwestern Eggrolls: CHILI'S!!

Tem, you just can't get away from those chains, can you? Here is my list:

Best Pizza: Za's

Best Subs: Jersey Mikes for a real sub

Best Chinese: Miyo's/M Cafe

Best Thai: Baan Sawan

Best Greek: Bullmarket

Best Steakhouse: I guess Longhorns until Ruth's Chris opens in a couple of months

Best Italian: Garibaldi's

Best Mexican: Little Mexico

Best Wings: No such thing

Best Burgers; Eddie's

Best Fries: Eddie's

Best Seafood: Bonefish

Best Steakhouse: I guess Longhorns until Ruth's Chris opens in a couple of months

Best Burgers; Eddie's

Za's? are you kidding me? Jersey Mike's is a chain also.....Bull Market is a joke, Black Bull & Zorba's is better.....several people have told me good things about Eddie's, i may have to try it out....seriously you need to try Tony's though...

Best Burgers; Eddie's

Subs- Jersey Mikes is good stuff, but I'll go with the Columbia original everytime for a great sub: Beezer's.

Mexican- I have to agree with Tem on the best Mexican: Casa Lina on Beltline was always my favorite. San Jose on Garners Ferry was also good. Definitely the "other" USC mexican joint. I'm not sure how the new Monterrey's is, but the old was wasn't that great.

Pizza- I was always partial to Za's, but that never really hit the spot. It had a lot to do with the waitresses for me.

Burgers- I always liked Rush's burgers. Just the right amount of grease & deliciousness.

As far as restaurants in general go, I can't say enough good things about the Rhino Room. The best meal I had during my time in Columbia was from there.

Pizza- I was always partial to Za's, but that never really hit the spot. It had a lot to do with the waitresses for me.

I couldn't agree more. And things haven't changed... I ate there before heading down to 5pts for St. Pats. But the best pizza in Columbia is Village Idiot closely followed by Dano's.

Best Italian is Villa Tronco

Best Seafood: Blue Marlin (although the best Salmon I've had was at MoMo's)

And how can we have a list of best restaurants in Columbia without mentioning BBQ? I realize the list is endless, but Palmetto Pig near the Colonial Center is pretty good.