Best Restaurants in Columbia

BryCola

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Pizza: Carrabbas

Best Subs: Publix

Best Chinese: China Hut 1 (Two Notch and Fontaine)

Best Greek: Sammie Delli in 5 points (Best Gyro) :hi:

Best Steakhouse: Long Horn

Best Italian: Diannes on Devine...and Carrabbas

Best Mexican: Eric's San Jose (Garners Ferry, by old Woodhill Mall Area)

Best Wing Joint: Wild Wings!!! :alc:

Best Burgers: 5 Guys :yahoo:

Best Salads: California Dreaming

Best Burrito: eh...don't like those

Best Quesadilla: Moes

Best Seafood: Captin's Galley (Fairfield Hwy, Fairfield)

Best Ice Cream: Marble Slab (Bithday Cake with Sprinkles in a white chocolate and sprinkle cone) and Cold Stone Equivillant

Best Buffet: Buffetts ... bacteria breeding ground :sick:

Best French Fries: CALIFORNIA DREAMING and 5 Guys

Best Southwestern Eggrolls: CHILI'S!!

Hope you guys don't mind me stealing this format

Best Pizza: Pa's or Mellow Mushroom

Best Subs: Jimmy John's

Best Chinese: Miyo or Grilled Teriyaki

Best Greek: Bull Street Market

Best Steakhouse: Texas Roadhouse ( the guys are hot as hell PRIME GRADE AMERICAN)

Best Italian: Garibaldi's

Best Mexican: Monterrey's

Best Wing Joint: I have yet to find one

Best Burgers: EDDIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Seafood:Blue Marlon

Best Ice Cream: Marble Slab, Cold Stone for milkshakes

Best Buffet: Shoney's lol (its good after a long saturday night)

Best French Fries: EDDIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best BBQ: Since I do not support the racist pig Marce is I guess Palmetto Pig.

Hope you guys don't mind me stealing this format

Best Pizza: Pa's or Mellow Mushroom

Best Subs: Jimmy John's

Best Chinese: Miyo or Grilled Teriyaki

Best Greek: Bull Street Market

Best Steakhouse: Texas Roadhouse ( the guys are hot as hell PRIME GRADE AMERICAN)

Best Italian: Garibaldi's

Best Mexican: Monterrey's

Best Wing Joint: I have yet to find one

Best Burgers: EDDIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Seafood:Blue Marlon

Best Ice Cream: Marble Slab, Cold Stone for milkshakes

Best Buffet: Shoney's lol (its good after a long saturday night)

Best French Fries: EDDIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best BBQ: Since I do not support the racist pig Marce is I guess Palmetto Pig.

About your comment on TX Roadhouse's hot waiters YES GOD! haha, harbison right?

• 1 month later...

The atmosphere of this restaurant was definitely what I expected. :thumbsup: It had an heir of destination city luxury, as did the newly renovated hotel. The hotel itself has truly been transformed from what it was at the end of its tenure as a Sheraton to a Hotel to rival some of the best in the area. White table cloth, descent wine menu, great layout for privacy or large groups added to the flare of this new hot spot.

For the starter I enjoyed a cup of the Italian and vegetable soup (soup of the day). It truly was a great blend of flavor. It was great. The only thing my greedy soul :hi: wanted more of was the sausage, however there was a descent amount present already. The bread that was served was pretty good, but nothing to rave over. I did appreciate that it was warm and not hard. For my entree I ordered the manager's special for the day, Manicotti in a crab, prawn, broccoli, asparagus, and gorgonzola sauce. Presentation was good, as were the other entrees ordered by my dining companions. The flavor was once again on point. The broccoli was a little tough for my taste. I think cooking it a little longer would have allowed it to blend a little better with the soft texture of the rest of the dish. There was a generous amount of real lump crab meat, and several giant prawns. The sauce was excellent and the manicotti had a good texture and flavor. To enhance the dining experience I enjoyed Ecco Dimani Pinot Grigio, :alc: one of my favorite wines to drink when I go out. The service was good, not the best, but better than the typical service at restaurants in the area.

The dessert menu was traditional Italian...Cr

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I have written, but I have been a few places for the first time since my last entry.

Saluda's

It was truly a treat to dine in this fine restaurant located in Five Points above Starbucks. I had been before, but this was my first time eating there. The atmosphere as before was wonderful. I felt as though I had stepped out of "Columbia" (as it is perceived), into a highly sought after City. Table settings met standards of the Fine Establishments that I have been to in other cities. :shades: The baby grand that was present during my privious visits was missing, but it did not take away from the abiaunce. My family and I sat by the door way that led to the balcony. It was a perfect blend of inside and outside. The service was quite good, but there were not that many people dining that evening. The food was excellent. We started with the fried oyster appetizer, cooked to perfection. Not to hard yet firm enough to pick up with ease. The dinner roles were also enjoyable. They were served with a sweet butter that was an interresting change from the norm. Next I enjoy what probably was the best Iceberg Wedge I have ever had. Plenty of bacon, and dressing and great quality lettuce portion. I'd go back just for the Wedge! For my entree I enjoyed the house surf and turf. A sirlon and butter poached lobster tail with mashed potatos. :yahoo: The sirlon was excellent. I'm normally a filet man but that sirlon was better than many filets I have had, and it was definately a portion fit for the hungry. The poached lobster tail (already removed from the shell) was like laying on a cloud. It was tender, and sweet and had that buttery flavor that brings out the best of the meat. This is one that i say everyone should try. For dessert we shared a slice of the Cheese Cake which had a great buttery flavor to it. It was thick and creamy, and the crust was a great conclusion to each bite. With our meal we enjoyed a bottle of Ecco Dimoni Pinot Grigio and a bottle of a Chatue St. Michelle Reisling :alc: which is truely one of my favorites. Price wise, the meal was about $60.00 per person, and it was well worth it!

This is a place that deserves public acclaim! :thumbsup:

I'm starting to notice a trend here, :whistling: however I will continue my commentary.

I recently visited the Bull Market Restaurant which is located on Gervais, in the same build in with Long Horn. The decore was quite surprising on first entry. It is remenisant of a Greek garden mixed with a home dining room. :camera: The setting lended itself to intimacy, perfect for families or dates. The service was pretty good , as was the food. The highlight of the meal was the homemade, skin on, mashed potatos :D that were served with my Filet Mignon. The steak was quite good, as were the pita bread slices, but nothing compared to those potatos. I traditionally am not a white potato person, however these quickly caught my fancy. I would have to rank my experience here high, and I highly recommend it. You will feel as though you have stepped in to a Greek Village here, surrounded by great food, and homely decor. :hi:

Edited by TheCarolinaKing

Also in the past few weeks I visited Girabaldis in Five Points. The atmosphere was quite nice and the the bar gave the place an air of a eatery in Miami. :yahoo: Sitting next to the front window took a little getting used to. As people passed by outside they seemed to stare in at those dining. :shok: I think that some reflective tint would help alieviate this problem. Which might not be a problem for others, however, some people who pass by have a tendency to be out right rude and stare.

The meal began with some freshly toasted bread, which definately hit the spot as a prelude for things to come. I must recommend the poached pear salad. It was a great blend of diffeerent yet complementary flavors. For my entree I had one of the house signature dishes, the fried flouder. The crispy texture and sauce was a delightful change from the mondane. One thing that my dining companions and I noticed about each of our meals were that all the sauces were excellent. :silly: Perhaps the chef specializes in sauces. His/Her creations turned what would be ordinarily un exciteing food in to works of flavorful art.

The server was quite attentive to our needs, and very helpful and knowlegable when asked for suggestions.

I was a little let down by the dessert choices however. :dunno: They served the typical italian desserts such as tiramisu, gelato... I anticipated something a little different and outside of the norm, but I was let down.

Essentially, my experience was good, but an exciting dessert, and a little more privacy from the random passer-bies would have made this place a step above the rest.

^

NICE! I'm glad there's someone in on UP such as yourself that actually gives "REAL" restaurant reports. I'm not the type of person to just walk in a restaurant that I'm not familiar with so your reports sort of bring the actual restaurant to me.

Also, it looks like the male counterpart of Racheal Ray has been discovered here on UP. :D

• 1 month later...

Help, I returned from New Orleans recently only to find that I'm now addicted to muffaletta!

Any idea where a good muffaletta can be found in Columbia? I know McCalister's has one but its noone near as good as the "real thing". Surely we can find a good rendition somewhere in our fair city.

• 1 year later...

Have you tried Saffron, the new Moroccan restaurant on Devine Street? It is excellent.

Actually I just did try them. It reminded me how much I like the Mediterranean Tea Room, and Al Amir in Irmo. I went with another couple and my wife. Their pizza was good but our two dishes were nearly burned and the saffron rice was dry and had no flavor. I was very dissapointed :huh: because I love that type of food and thought I was going to have another nice place to eat. The prices are a bit high and they don't have a lunch menu. Our server had no business in that line of work.

Baker's Bros has a Muffalletta - never tried it, never even had one, but I noticed it on the menu when looking in the window of the new one on South Main under Adesso. It is supposed to open in July and looks complete on the inside other than ladders and the like in several places (the cash registers and all lights were on). Does anyone know the exact opening date btw? I want to try it.

• 4 months later...

I noticed a few posts here about Mangia! Mangia!, and I felt compelled to say that it has reopened on the Northeast side of town recently (way out in Elgin, actually).

I ate there a couple of weeks ago, and although it was far too cold to sit outside (the courtyard looked really nice), the food was excellent, and it is owned by the same guy as the one in West Columbia was.

http://www.mangiamangiacolumbia.com/

On a completely separate note, El Chico reopened on Monday after a fire a couple months ago. They stripped out all the decor from inside and it looks like a totally different (and much more contemporary) restaurant. Menu and happy hour specials are the same (as far as I can remember) as before it closed.

I saw you guys throwing around Med Tea room and Al-Amir and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. While it's not the most exquisitely designed locale in the city, Eli's on St. Andrews has amazing lebanese food. Their mint sweet tea is wonderful and usually the desserts are excellent. Food wise everything is prepared by the owner as ordered, I'm sure their is some simple pre prep but the food always comes out fresh and warm from the flat bread to the skewers. The falafel is moist. The kibbeh is meaty with soft little pine nuts inside and the kufta is juicy and spicy. We get the mixed mezza or tour of lebanon and pick away. I'll swap the baba for taboulleh when i remember to, the garlic in the baba makes my tummy rumble. Try it sometime.

Edited by dandancain