Best Restaurants in Columbia

BryCola

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, all the way out at Spears Creek Church Road? Is there anything else out there at that exit off I-20? That is really far out.

That whole area has been growing like crazy. There's several new subdivisions, and Mangia! Mangia! itself is part of a pretty good sized shopping center, although I don't think there's much else there besides the restaurant.

It's only a few minutes from Village at Sandhill, but yeah, it is really far out there. Unless you're going to be on that side anyways, I can't say that it's worth the drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree as well about Eli's. It's outstanding food! My wife and I used to go there *all the time* when they first opened -- we even got our picture put on the wall. (Ha!) We moved and have toddler-aged children now, so we haven't been in probably three years. I will say that the last few times we went, the place had sort of taken off and hired new help... it had been exclusively staffed by a small group of family members at first and that's when we enjoyed it the most. But the quality never changed... it just gave it a different personality than we were used to. I'm glad to hear they're still doing well. It's a testament to the quality of the place that they've established such a following in that odd location.

That whole area has been growing like crazy. There's several new subdivisions, and Mangia! Mangia! itself is part of a pretty good sized shopping center, although I don't think there's much else there besides the restaurant.

It's only a few minutes from Village at Sandhill, but yeah, it is really far out there. Unless you're going to be on that side anyways, I can't say that it's worth the drive.

They can keep the suburbs. Mangia Mangia couldn't pay me to drive way out there.

So... it's Christmas Eve.. my family and I have a tradition of eating at a Chinese buffet. What do you guys think is the best Chinese buffet in the midlands???

We used to love Top China on Saint Andrews back in the day, but it is actually not very good anymore.

Millennium on Blossom St. downtown is pretty good, but I always feel sick after I eat there -- I assume it's some sort preservative (MSG?). Anyone else notice that?

I've been to the King Buffet on Saint Andrews near I-26... It's pretty okay, but is weird to me for various reasons.

Anyone have any faves???

Edited by emerging.me

I'm not really into buffets, but M Vista has the best Chinese Food/Asian Fusion in town, IMO.

I haven't been to M Vista yet, but everything those folks have done so far has been golden.

I don't generally like the idea of buffets either -- I constantly question their cleanliness. But I suck it up once a year for the family, and I have to admit there are few buffet staples that are guilty pleasures. So, who knows good ones?

Edited by emerging.me

When I was at Carolina my friends and I always went down to this chinese buffet on Garner's Ferry Rd near the new Walmart. Its a bit of a haul but it was consistently good (for buffet mind you). I forget the name of it, but it was still there as of August.

I've generally grown out of buffet-style restaurants, but my one exception is for BBQ restaurants. Palmetto Pig comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others if I think long enough. The best real BBQ restaurants are buffet.

• 1 year later...

Have to revisit the issue of Mediterranean restaurants we had a while back. I by far have a new favorite! Tabouli restaurant on Devine street next to Za's where Saffron used to be. This place is superior to all the rest in my opinion. Everything is cooked perfect and they do have a lunch menu! Great staff and owners!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like this thread has both new restaurants and reviews of existing restaurants. Personally, Motor Supply is one of my favorite restaurants in SC, including Charleston. I would have no trouble eating there 7 days a week (with the occasional visit to Pawleys).

And, to add, Basil will be a terrific addtion to Columbia. The ones in Charleston and Charlotte are outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like this thread has both new restaurants and reviews of existing restaurants. Personally, Motor Supply is one of my favorite restaurants in SC, including Charleston. I would have no trouble eating there 7 days a week (with the occasional visit to Pawleys).

And, to add, Basil will be a terrific addtion to Columbia. The ones in Charleston and Charlotte are outstanding.

Basil is not authentic at all....there are tons of better Thai places in Charlotte.  If the people cooking and/or serving your food are not Asian then chances are it's not real Thai!  Try Thai Taste, Thai House and Thai Thai in CLT :)

• 1 year later...

Most of us are already familiar with the restaurants highlighted: Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse, Oak Table, Bourbon, Basil Thai, etc.- but it was still very interesting.The increase in year-over-year hospitality tax revenue of 19% bodes well for Benjamin's plan to dedicate some of the funding to Columbia Commons. 

I'm glad Columbia is catching up with the other metros as far as food goes. I always wondered what the deal was. But now I can go down and get something good to eat and it not be fast food or suburban type dining. Good for them.

Good local fare has been here for decades, even more so in the past five years, but there's suddenly even more of it, and patrons expect the best across the board.