Birmingham Housing Market

tedo420

A few updates here. George Barber will be redeveloping his estate atop Red Mountain into a swanky urban community. A number of luxury homes will be built around the existing gardens. It will be crowned by a six or seven story condo tower with infinity pool overlooking downtown Birmingham. It will be the highest priced units the condo market in Birmingham has seen. 500's to over 1 mil. Two or Three, multiple story pent house units.

Also, Stonegate village in Liberty Park. An eight story luxury residential tower. Priced 400's to 900's. Features indoor-outdoor pool, designer finishes, solid doors, multiple balconies in each unit, and a two story penthouse

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few updates here. George Barber will be redeveloping his estate atop Red Mountain into a swanky urban community. A number of luxury homes will be built around the existing gardens. It will be crowned by a six or seven story condo tower with infinity pool overlooking downtown Birmingham. It will be the highest priced units the condo market in Birmingham has seen. 500's to over 1 mil. Two or Three, multiple story pent house units.

Also, Stonegate village in Liberty Park. An eight story luxury residential tower. Priced 400's to 900's. Features indoor-outdoor pool, designer finishes, solid doors, multiple balconies in each unit, and a two story penthouse

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has this been finalized? Last I heard there was significant opposition from the Redmont community to the zoning of the land for condos. If it's moving ahead, I'll be pleased, but I didnt know that it yet had the approved zoning. Did you see an article recently?

Has this been finalized?  Last I heard there was significant opposition from the Redmont community to the zoning of the land for condos.  If it's moving ahead, I'll be pleased, but I didnt know that it yet had the approved zoning.  Did you see an article recently?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know somebody that works with George, they said that it will be worked out with the community. I don't know what all the opposition is about; its a huge piece of land that will mostly be single family homes. It will increase their property values also. Very high-end residential design.

I know somebody that works with George, they said that it will be worked out with the community. I don't know what all the opposition is about; its a huge piece of land that will mostly be single family homes. It will increase their property values also. Very high-end residential design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I'm all for it, but most of the concerns I've heard were voiced because of traffic-flow concerns for the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Developers of a $50 million condominium and golf course project in Inverness are aiming for what resembles a resort rather than a high-rise residential tower.

Diamond Club Management, which owns Inverness Country Club, plans to replace the current clubhouse with one topped by seven floors of condos with an average selling price exceeding $400,000 each. The project includes a complete renovation of the golf course set to begin this fall.

The developers say their project will cater not only to the 800 members of Inverness Country Club but also the residents of the 118 condos.

• 11 months later...

Saw a cool story on CBS42 tonight talking about the housing market in Alabama. They said while things are starting to cool off nationally, in Alabama, things are still pushing ahead at a brisk pace. Apparently Birmingham (as well as Huntsville) are driving Alabama's strong housing market. It was also said that Birmingham is working to catch up with cities like Atlanta and Nashville with areas around Birmingham now growing like some of our neighbors were 15 years ago.

This report goes along more with what I believe. The Census seems to think Birmingham is growing very slowly (and losing, even, within the city limits). I think that's far too conservative. There are too many independent studies and research data (including the report on tonight's news) indicating that Birmingham is growing at a rapid rate. I really think Birmingham is beginning to take off.

Birmingham is starting to take off literally. The proof is in the number of retailers that have been opening locations in the region in last 4 years. It will amazing to watch Birmingham go from being just 1 of the Big 4 in Alabama to becoming the primary population center in the state with nearly 1/2 the state's residents living in the region. Hopefully, the diversity and progressive attitude will increase as well with this growth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Article from The Birmingham News

The article says that Shelby in the past 5 years alone has added 12,155 new homes compared to Jefferson County's 13,512. In other words, both have added about the same amount of new homes constructed within their boundaries.

Interesting statistic considering the census bureau estimates that Shelby has gain over 20,000 residents in the last 5 years and Jefferson has actually lost population. Could the census bureau be wrong?

• 2 months later...

Planners OK two subdivisions bordering Columbiana, Chelsea

The Shelby County Planning Commission give the OK for the construction of 2 subdivisions on 100 lots of land outside of Columbiana. The larger one with 52 lots on 80 acres will be called Summerhills, and the smaller one with 48 lots on 63 acres will be Highland Ridge. Highland Ridge is much smaller than it originally was proposed. Originally proposed to be 56 lots but was reduced due to request by the commission for more preserved land.

Expansion of Trace Crossings is reduced, 500 instead of 695

Developer clips Trace expansion

The houses planned for the Lake Wilborn property include a mix of cottages, town houses, homes with basements and estates. A village center also is planned, with live/work units that combine upstairs residential space with downstairs commercial space.

• 1 month later...

Area rental costs buck U.S. trends

This article basically says that area apartment rental cost are disproportionate compared to the mean wages. The difficulty of affording a decent apartment in the region while maintaining other things such as food, clothing, and transportation is higher than national average. According to Alabama Arise, the cost of apartment rent has risen 22% in the state compared to only a 3% raise in wages since 2000.

• 3 months later...

48 $1-million+ homes are planned for North Shelby in a gated community near Vandiver

Million-Dollar houses planned atop mountain near Vandiver

Apparently this development will occur on one of the highest ridges in the state. The article discusses how one home owner already living in the area on the ridge can see Mt. Cheaha, which is 60 miles away from his window. This will be interesting is the Shelby County Planning Commission approves this development because to date there aren't many developments in this part of the county.

I guess in a way it will help boost the Greater Birmingham's status as having very wealthy residents in our region. :dontknow:

Well... it's a niche market. And like you say, should increase the number of wealthy people in Greater Birmingham. Seems like a bit of a gamble to me, but I assume they've done their research and believe the area can support that number of expensive homes. Probably would be alot of the "new money" people. "Old money" folks have always prepared Mtn. Brook, Redmont, etc.

Well... it's a niche market. And like you say, should increase the number of wealthy people in Greater Birmingham. Seems like a bit of a gamble to me, but I assume they've done their research and believe the area can support that number of expensive homes. Probably would be alot of the "new money" people. "Old money" folks have always prepared Mtn. Brook, Redmont, etc.

Archived