Extension of Canal Park in Monroe North

GRDadof3

City Commission Agenda - Pg 25, 26, 27

post-2672-1152541000_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1152541023_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1152541040_thumb.jpg

186424059_aab1ca04ea_o.jpg

This would be a great addition to the park and would help link it to Riverside Park to the North. What I don't know is whether the rail line there will be vacated?

I've also thought that if they could work out a deal with Consumers Energy to move the electrical substation across from Brass Works, that would make a great spot for 2 or 3 competition sized sand volleyball courts.

post-2672-1152541000_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1152541023_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1152541040_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...I've also thought that if they could work out a deal with Consumers Energy to move the electrical substation across from Brass Works, that would make a great spot for 2 or 3 competition sized sand volleyball courts.

Now there's a highest and best use.

Now there's a highest and best use.

With all the people living in and moving into Monroe North, I can imagine it would be used non-stop from May - October. They could also host the Pro-Beach Volleyball tours there as well.

I've also thought that if they could work out a deal with Consumers Energy to move the electrical substation across from Brass Works, that would make a great spot for 2 or 3 competition sized sand volleyball courts.

Where could you move this electrical station?

Where could you move this electrical station?

That's the crux. I have no idea what discussions the City has had with Consumers, but apparently there have been some. All those power lines would also have to find a way across the river as well. Maybe attached to the underdeck of I-196 or the 6th Street Bridge? I'm sure when it was put in, it didn't matter because it was one of the most industrialized portions of the riverfront.

That's the crux. I have no idea what discussions the City has had with Consumers, but apparently there have been some. All those power lines would also have to find a way across the river as well. Maybe attached to the underdeck of I-196 or the 6th Street Bridge? I'm sure when it was put in, it didn't matter because it was one of the most industrialized portions of the riverfront.

Maybe a new Calatrava pedestrian bridge could go in connecting the canal street park to a new park north of the fish ladder.

Excellent! I'm very glad to see this on the city's agenda. It's one more piece to the puzzle of better utilizing the river both north and south out of downtown. With this portion completed, there would just one more mile (Leonard to Ann) to complete in order to have a paved trail leading from downtown G.R. to north of Rockford.

Then all that is needed is a link to Kent Trails to the south.

Maybe a new Calatrava pedestrian bridge could go in connecting the canal street park to a new park north of the fish ladder.

I think GR sorely needs a Calatrava foot bridge spanning the Grand. It would be a fantastic asset for downtown. Not everything he does has to be on the scale (or cost) of MAM in Milwaukee...but it would be very, very pricey indeed.

If I could figure out how to post them I would drop in a few photos from a project of his I shot in Spain. The URL thing has me paralyzed. :dontknow:

This is such great news...I can't wait until they finish the whole thing to Riverside Park. Then Fred Meijer paves the WPT all the way to Cadillac...how great with that be to ride all the way to downtown from there!

Slightly offtopic, but I noticed on a walk yesterday they FINALLY opened that riverwalk from Devos Place to the JW Marriott. I don't think I've ever walked on it until yesterday because it's never been open.

The thing about a Calatrava bridge (picturing one of the ones I've seen) it would have to be in just the right spot, otherwise it could look out of place.. and I'm thinking Pearl Street is the only place such a bridge could work.

That's one aspect I love about his bridges and buildings; they are always unmistakenly Calatrava. I doubt one would ever "fit" with our current architecture. They're more like functional sculptures.

Calatrava in GR is nice to dream about but unless some organization builds a coalition (and loads of cash) to bring Calatrava here it will never happen.

I am not sure how far south that rail line goes, but that would be agreat portion to include in a mass transit rail line, especially with the continued growth occuring north of central city.

It's part of the old state owned Central Michigan RR line. There was a shortline called the Grand Rapids Eastern that ran tracks more recently. They may still run it now. It was a very little used rail corridor, mostly one or two trains a week that ran only at night or early mornings.

The rail runs into Ada (the rail crossing just before Amway on Fulton) and along the southern bank of the Grand where it junctions onto another shortline, the Mid-Michigan Railway. I'm not sure if the Mid-Michigan runs any more, but the tracks in question run all the way to Lowell. They used to continue on to Saranac and Ionia, but I'm unsure if the rail there still exists, or has be torn up.

The Mid-Michigan line runs north/south through Lowell. It skirts Deer Run Gold Club goes under the freeway and connects the CSX mainline near Clarksville (Montcalm Ave and Pierre Rd, just north of 64th street.)

And yes, I am a train geek :blush:

I worked in the Brassworks building several years ago and there were indeed talks of moving the substation but the numbers were too high. When we were picking out space in the building we looked on the 2nd floor and were told that the substation would be moved soon. Alas, that never happened.

Joe

Archived