Trader Joe's

nyxmike

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems they have not decided where to locate in Charlotte. This is the text from an email circulated by Center City Partners and the representative for SouthEnd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello South Enders:

I am back from Italy as a newly married man and even more dedicated to our wonderful District. I have heard from the first day I took the job that a grocery store is needed in our area. I know our friends in Wilmore feel this way, as well as, the thousands of current and future residents of South End.

Trader Joe's is a very unique concept for a neighborhood grocery store. They have announced a Raleigh Store will be opening in 2006, and have initial plans for 2 possible stores somewhere in Charlotte for 2007. The time to act has come.

Please get involved and write a personal letter to the executives at Trader Joe's in California, that will help them see why South End is the perfect fit. Charlotte Center City Partners and other ED groups will take the official lead in recruiting them, but I personally feel you can have more impact in the long run.

Go to http://www.traderjoes.com/ to read about the company, the culture, the product, etc. , then write a simple 1 page letter if you feel inspired.

Trader Joe's

Attn: Charlotte Store

800 South Shamrock Avenue

Monrovia, CA 91016

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want it, let them know!!

• 1 month later...

Its official the first Trader Joe's store will be in Piper Glen off Rea Rd. They are planning 2 more stores, 1 in midtown, and 1 in North Charlotte.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15409143.htm

The Shops at Piper Glen is currently undergoing a redo.

While I wish they were not opening up in my least favorite part of town, I am excited to see that they are coming!

The more stores we get that add greater cosmopolitan sheen to Charlotte the better. Their first location is not my favorite either but they have to go where the money is. And the yuppies out there will love Trader Joe's. It sounds like we won't have to wait a decade for them to open like Whole Foods either.

To me, it's funny to see so much buzz about Trader Joe's. Just another chain store in SoCal... a funkier one, but still a chain.

Reminds me of the bemusement I had about all the publicity for Krisy Kreme expanding into CA, when I lived there.

To me, it's funny to see so much buzz about Trader Joe's. Just another chain store in SoCal... a funkier one, but still a chain.

Reminds me of the bemusement I had about all the publicity for Krisy Kreme expanding into CA, when I lived there.

That sort of echoes what I said over in the Metropolitan forum. I loved Trader Joe's when I lived in California. They're great stores. And the reason I loved them is that they are NOTHING like Whole Foods. I don't think a lot of people here realize that. TJ's is a quirky low-price chain with moderately dumpy stores that sell mostly wine and unusual prepackaged and frozen foods. It's definitely not a semi-pretentious, overpriced chain like Whole Foods that sells lots of organic produce and meat.

That said, I'm hoping they make it to Winston soon too...

That sort of echoes what I said over in the Metropolitan forum. I loved Trader Joe's when I lived in California. They're great stores. And the reason I loved them is that they are NOTHING like Whole Foods. I don't think a lot of people here realize that. TJ's is a quirky low-price chain with moderately dumpy stores that sell mostly wine and unusual prepackaged and frozen foods. It's definitely not a semi-pretentious, overpriced chain like Whole Foods that sells lots of organic produce and meat.

Agreed, as a vegan, my food costs have gone through the roof here. TJ's will give me more low cost food options.

Well said, Trader Joe's is not just another chain store. When I lived in San Francisco I used to shop there by religion. They really do have some great products that are not that exspensive. And having moved back to NC, I have missed out on Trader Joes for 4 years, so I am extremly excited that Charlotte will have at least 1 Trader Joe's and hopefully 3 or more.

• 1 month later...

You would think they would want to be in a close in neighborhood....but I would think its much more expensive these days to find a large enough space in Dilworth or Elizabeth for example. I think they will get into central Charlotte eventually, so single people like me who are clueless about cooking can grab n go at Trader Joe's :)

Archived