the airing of grievances

jencoleslaw

really? everywhere i've lived in Providence, the sweepers come at about 2 or 3 am. Even last night. because they are so damn loud, i wake up every time.

But now that you have the scooter, keep in mind that it removes Motorcycle [and other 2-wheeled conveyance] Instability Powder from the road surface, preventing spills.

So next time it wakes you up, remember that the street sweeper is your friend! :)

Urb

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i may have been dreaming it but i swear they came through AGAIN last night. Liam, i do think we live close to each other. What time does your trash get picked up? we usually get picked up around 4 am although sometimes it is as late as 8 or 9.

ha. we practically live right next to each other, and my trash never gets picked up before 9-10. weird. it all must be the routing.

OK, here's my latest Police and Fire complaint, from an incident that just happened out my window:

The woman next door to me is a middle-aged alcoholic. It seems like tonight, she was drunk again and her boyfriend called the cops. I didn't hear any yelling or anything, just noticed when the first cop car pulled up. So, how much of our city resources went into getting one drunk but non-violent middle-aged woman into an ambulance (which she argued about, but not violently or even loudly)?

11 members of the police and fire squads

1 guy that looked like maybe a social worker or something

2 marked cop cars

1 unmarked car

2 bicycles

1 fire engine

1 ambulance

They all stood around and shot the sh*t for 1/2 hour while two women cops talked her into the ambulance. One of the cops took it upon himself to search MY car with a flashlight through the windows (I mean, I guess he had to find something to keep him busy. Hope he liked the lawn bags, empty drink bottles and ripped maps. Glad he left the change on the dash.). It was like a goddam party out there.

And then, to top it off, one of the cars decides to give a "BOOP BOOP" and let the siren wail on its way AWAY from the non-incident.

WHAT THE F***? We should be so pissed that public resources are being wasted like this, and that "public safety" priorities are so totally off. And are we supposed to feel better about our community, and trust the police to improve our lives, when they pull out such a totally excessive demonstration of force for a personal problem (yet don't show up for a noise complaint on the Southside when called *11* times between 11 and 4 a.m. Saturday night)?

There was a crime watch meeting last night- if only it were tomorrow, I would go give the Lieutenant a big piece of my mind.

By the way, does anyone have Liuet. Mary Day's cell phone #? I had it at one point. The cell phone of each district's "Community Police" Comanding Officer is public info, as far as I know.

Call the WBNA tomorrow and you can get her number from them. John Lombardi's office (law or council) can also give it to you. I am afraid i do not have it.

OK, here's my latest Police and Fire complaint, from an incident that just happened out my window:

The woman next door to me is a middle-aged alcoholic. It seems like tonight, she was drunk again and her boyfriend called the cops. I didn't hear any yelling or anything, just noticed when the first cop car pulled up. So, how much of our city resources went into getting one drunk but non-violent middle-aged woman into an ambulance (which she argued about, but not violently or even loudly)?

11 members of the police and fire squads

1 guy that looked like maybe a social worker or something

2 marked cop cars

1 unmarked car

2 bicycles

1 fire engine

1 ambulance

They all stood around and shot the sh*t for 1/2 hour while two women cops talked her into the ambulance. One of the cops took it upon himself to search MY car with a flashlight through the windows (I mean, I guess he had to find something to keep him busy. Hope he liked the lawn bags, empty drink bottles and ripped maps. Glad he left the change on the dash.). It was like a goddam party out there.

And then, to top it off, one of the cars decides to give a "BOOP BOOP" and let the siren wail on its way AWAY from the non-incident.

WHAT THE F***? We should be so pissed that public resources are being wasted like this, and that "public safety" priorities are so totally off. And are we supposed to feel better about our community, and trust the police to improve our lives, when they pull out such a totally excessive demonstration of force for a personal problem (yet don't show up for a noise complaint on the Southside when called *11* times between 11 and 4 a.m. Saturday night)?

There was a crime watch meeting last night- if only it were tomorrow, I would go give the Lieutenant a big piece of my mind.

this sounds like when the guy that lives below me was arrested. he went peacefully knowing that he was in trouble. there were 4 or 5 marked cop cars and 1 unmarked car for 1 guy. he literally had an overnight bag and wasn't cuffed and walked to the back of the police car without struggle.

if they had sirens going on their way out, they could've been giong somewhere else...

Sounds crazy, but perhaps he was called out and was responding to another incident? That would certainly explain a siren and his leaving.

WHAT THE F***? We should be so pissed that public resources are being wasted like this, and that "public safety" priorities are so totally off. And are we supposed to feel better about our community, and trust the police to improve our lives, when they pull out such a totally excessive demonstration of force for a personal problem

Well, domestic distrubance calls are the most dangerous for the police to respond to, along with traffic stops, because they never know what's going to or has occured at the scence. It's not unusual for one half of a domestic incident to attack the police when they try to arrest the other party/person for let's say an assualt and battery or domestic violence. And I'm sure the police are always concerned as to wether or not any weapons are involved. I think there's no problem with several officers responding to such a call untill the situation can be evaluated. If some of those officers aren't needed they can always make themselves available for other calls. Better safe than sorry. Police dispatchers don't always do a good job transfering the information that they get from 911 operators and from direct calls to the communication center to the patrol cars, so the officers may not have all the info on the call that they may need. I don't understand your outrage over this incident. :huh: I would have thought you'd be more annoyed at your neighborhood.

Well, domestic distrubance calls are the most dangerous for the police to respond to, along with traffic stops, because they never know what's going to or has occured at the scence. It's not unusual for one half of a domestic incident to attack the police when they try to arrest the other party/person for let's say an assualt and battery or domestic violence. And I'm sure the police are always concerned as to wether or not any weapons are involved. I think there's no problem with several officers responding to such a call untill the situation can be evaluated. If some of those officers aren't needed they can always make themselves available for other calls. Better safe than sorry. Police dispatchers don't always do a good job transfering the information that they get from 911 operators and from direct calls to the communication center to the patrol cars, so the officers may not have all the info on the call that they may need. I don't understand your outrage over this incident. :huh: I would have thought you'd be more annoyed at your neighborhood.

that makes sense... but a fire engine?

that makes sense... but a fire engine?

Well, even though Providence has 5 or 6 rescue vehicles they're often all out of service on calls and an out of town rescue is called in through the mutual aid system. When that happens, an engine is dispatched untill the rescue arrives. Either that or the woman was very large and needed additional personnel to move her phat a$$. :lol: The firemens union has been trying for some time now to get the city to operate an additional rescue which is very much needed. You wouldn't believe how many times a day the PFD calls for assistance. I know the surrounding cities and towns are getting quite tired of it. East Providence is a city of 40,000 and we have 4 rescues, almost as much as Providence, a city of 173,000 which of course doesn't include all of the day workers, college students and visitors.

I think there's no problem with several officers responding to such a call untill the situation can be evaluated. If some of those officers aren't needed they can always make themselves available for other calls. Better safe than sorry. Police dispatchers don't always do a good job transfering the information that they get from 911 operators and from direct calls to the communication center to the patrol cars, so the officers may not have all the info on the call that they may need. I don't understand your outrage over this incident. :huh: I would have thought you'd be more annoyed at your neighborhood.

"Several" might make sense. But 11? And they did not go find more productive things to do when they saw that they were un-needed, they all hung around until the very end.

Don't even get me started on the efficacy of dispatch in Providence, I have a whole other raft of stories about that.

Why would I be annoyed with my neighborhood? Because an alcoholic lives here? She is a mostly good neighbor, who obviously has problems. Living this close to a lot of people means taking the good with the bad. Considering some of the situations I've lived next door to over the years (breeding & fighting pitbulls, domestic violence, drug dealing, drunken college idiots, snobs with hyperactive house alarms, child neglect, you name it), this one's a peach.

Oh, yeah, and like I said, the fire truck always comes with an ambulance. So, as stupid and wateful as that is, at least it was expected.

While we're on the subject of noise and stuff, this might be considered trivial -- feel free to laugh hysterically -- but can you ask the city to tighten up a loose manhole cover that goes clank-clank whenever someone drives over it? There's one a couple of houses down, and altho' it's not too bad (especially at night, when there's very little traffic), there is a lot of traffic during the day -- and if it were right in front of my house, it'd drive me up a wall.

Does the city do anything about that, or do you just eventually go out and wedge something in there yourself at some point, to stop the clank-clank?

Urb

While we're on the subject of noise and stuff, this might be considered trivial -- feel free to laugh hysterically -- but can you ask the city to tighten up a loose manhole cover that goes clank-clank whenever someone drives over it? There's one a couple of houses down, and altho' it's not too bad (especially at night, when there's very little traffic), there is a lot of traffic during the day -- and if it were right in front of my house, it'd drive me up a wall.

Does the city do anything about that, or do you just eventually go out and wedge something in there yourself at some point, to stop the clank-clank?

Urb

Some Quickrete should do the trick. :silly:

but can you ask the city to tighten up a loose manhole cover that goes clank-clank whenever someone drives over it?

I would start with a call to the Office of Neighborhood Services. If that doesn't get you anywhere, I'd go out and wedge something in it.

I would start with a call to the Office of Neighborhood Services. If that doesn't get you anywhere, I'd go out and wedge something in it.

or simply use the form on their website to send them an email. everytime i've had something to complain about, it was fixed within 3 days (except traffic light issues on smith st, which they transferred to the state DOT that never did anything about it).

or simply use the form on their website to send them an email. everytime i've had something to complain about, it was fixed within 3 days (except traffic light issues on smith st, which they transferred to the state DOT that never did anything about it).

I dropped them a note that way. Thanks!

Urb

PS -- speaking of traffic light issues, could the lights on N. Main St. possibly be coordinated any worse than they are? Last night, I drove ONE mile to Pawtucket and back, and must have hit every single red light, in both directions!

PS -- speaking of traffic light issues, could the lights on N. Main St. possibly be coordinated any worse than they are? Last night, I drove ONE mile to Pawtucket and back, and must have hit every single red light, in both directions!

try it during rush hour on both north and south main... ugh...

I dropped them a note that way. Thanks!

Urb

I drive it everyday and it kills me everyday. N. Main has got to be the easiest street in the city to synchronize and they just don't do it. Do we even have traffic engineers in our city government? Are they merely cronyism hold-overs from the Cianci administration? There is no other excuse for how terrible our streetlight problems are.

Do we even have traffic engineers in our city government? Are they merely cronyism hold-overs from the Cianci administration?

More like a holdover from the Collins Administration, you know, from the 30s. You should see the traffic engineering office, it looks like a Smithsonian display.

More like a holdover from the Collins Administration, you know, from the 30s. You should see the traffic engineering office, it looks like a Smithsonian display.

For God's sake, when is the city going to learn that it's all about infrastructure? Not to get all "social contract," but at its core, aren't the government's main jobs to keep people safe and keep the infrastructure updated? It's such a simple premise.

Too bad the city couldn't get Walgreen's to pay for a traffic study along that whole mile stretch or so between Rochambeau and the Pawtucket line.

One of the huge problems with traffic lights is that a significant portion of the population thinks that bad traffic lights which stop everyone are actually good traffic calming measures, even though what they really become is traffic causing measures.

Archived