Go, Providence Go!

jencoleslaw

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a guy outside Tazza this afternoon, playing Johnny Cash standards on his guitar, and frankly he's quite good so i recommend going by and throwing a dollah in his guitar case.

I like street musicians. I often drop what ever change or singles I can and pass on. Having said that, the guy with the sax, out side of the arcade (Westminster side) has to catch a virus or something. I can

There's a guy who plays sax at the end of the covered sidewalk outside the Westin, pretty bad spo if you ask me, there's lots of foot traffic, but everyone is trying to huredly get out of the work zone. I hope as foot traffic increases, we see more buskers in Providence. In cities like NYC and Boston buskers can basically live off their street performances. I have a friend who busked (is that a word) her way through England and Ireland. I doubt many people would be able to support themselves off busking in Providence, but as the foot traffic rises, more people should be able to at least add a healthy supplement to their income.

i gave some change to a guy walking around thayer with a busted guitar... he seemed nice enough. :)

i like street musicians, but some of the ones i've seen in providence (usually on thayer) are sketchy and quite annoying. although i find walking around thayer to be annoying at times.

There is a sax player on Thayer near the Brown bookstore. The guy isn't very good and is kind of scary.

I prefer the drum guys who use empty pails outside of the TD Garden and Downtown Crossing in Boston. I always give them a buck when I walk by.

There is a sax player on Thayer near the Brown bookstore. The guy isn't very good and is kind of scary.

I prefer the drum guys who use empty pails outside of the TD Garden and Downtown Crossing in Boston. I always give them a buck when I walk by.

there was a really good band setup in harvard square playing beatles songs. that was fun.

The Office of Neighborhood Services has been very responsive to my comments, questions, and concerning issues when I have reached out to them. About 2 months ago, after walking down Summit Avenue during a heavy rain storm, I noticed a gutter that had backed up and created a lake-like puddle that extended out from the corner about 10 feet with a maximum depth of between 3-4 inches. When I e-mailed the Office of Neighborhood Services, they didn't respond back, but they must have resolved the problem because that gutter no longer backs up.

Regardless of ones opinion regarding how the city should equally resolve these problems on their own, contacting the city through Office of Neighborhood Services is a process which has worked successfully in my experience.

The Office of Neighborhood Services has been very responsive to my comments, questions, and concerning issues when I have reached out to them. About 2 months ago, after walking down Summit Avenue during a heavy rain storm, I noticed a gutter that had backed up and created a lake-like puddle that extended out from the corner about 10 feet with a maximum depth of between 3-4 inches. When I e-mailed the Office of Neighborhood Services, they didn't respond back, but they must have resolved the problem because that gutter no longer backs up.

Regardless of ones opinion regarding how the city should equally resolve these problems on their own, contacting the city through Office of Neighborhood Services is a process which has worked successfully in my experience.

i've done that to get stop lights fixed... there were a few in my area were timing was all out of whack (some would turn red and green without overlap and a few crosswalk lights that were just turned off completely. so i wrote about them and they took care of it.

• 1 month later...

I just had the perfect low-key RI/Providence weekend day and thought I'd share:

- Ran in the morning along the water on the East Bay Bike path

- Had fantastic sidewalk-cafe lunch w/ steak frites & nice wine downcity at Bravo

- Stopped to buy a lovely vintage silk cocktail dress at Rocket to Mars on Broadway

- Watched some friends play a few innings of the highly popular and amusing Providence Kickball League at the neighborhood ballfield

- Saw a movie at the Providence Place mall

- Stumbled out of the theater and enjoyed the 200th Waterfire - in perfect weather

- Wrapped it up with a few beers at Union Station (also a fan of Trinity, no slight intended)

Except for the run (which was considerably longer), all took place within 1-1/2 miles of my house. I feel like a poster-child for the urban dream, Providence-style.

Except for the run (which was considerably longer), all took place within 1-1/2 miles of my house. I feel like a poster-child for the urban dream, Providence-style.

Great, isn't it :).

There was also a wonderful editorial in the Projo recently called "Blessings of life in Rhode Island, on display" that was similarly happy and complementary. Worth a read...

- Garris

Great, isn't it :).

There was also a wonderful editorial in the Projo recently called "Blessings of life in Rhode Island, on display" that was similarly happy and complementary. Worth a read...

- Garris

What a nice article! My day currently consists of getting in the car and dodging drunks hauling boats back from Lake Powell on Route 89 or hoping I don't see the fellow with the pick up painted in flat black, with "Stealth Redneck" spray painted on the tailgate and an AK47 in the gun rack.

I long for civilization, dahlink.

• 1 month later...

I posted some free furniture on craigslist. No, I'm not soliciting anyone, but I was happy about the responses I received. Rather than trying to sell it in a yard sale or donate it to Salvation Army where they will ultimately sell it for a price, it's going to a low-income family that needs it. Although craigslist is not unique to Providence, I thought it was cool. It was my good deed of the day so I will jot this moment down when I'm questioned at purgatory. :lol:

I posted some free furniture on craigslist. No, I'm not soliciting anyone, but I was happy about the responses I received. Rather than trying to sell it in a yard sale or donate it to Salvation Army where they will ultimately sell it for a price, it's going to a low-income family that needs it. Although craigslist is not unique to Providence, I thought it was cool. It was my good deed of the day so I will jot this moment down when I'm questioned at purgatory. :lol:

With furniture I usually just put it out in front of the house and someone from the neighborhood grabs it almost instantaneously. Although I put out a reasonably nice wingchair that belonged to my grandmother a couple months back and I then saw it back out on the street completely trashed about a week later in front of the "bad" house on our street. That kind of sucked since it was a nice enough chair.

Archived