Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Was the photo from Fern Avenue taken today?  If so, I expected the Skyhouse to have a much greater impact on the midtown skyline, and thought the Sobro tower would be partially visible behind the Pinnacle.  Also would have hoped the Westin was tall enough to spot somewhere in the background.  Amazing how that view has not changed much since Pinnacle opened, despite Omni, MCC, Westin, 1212, HCA and Roundabout Tower added.  

Was taken in February.  I forgot to post it then---found it in my files earlier today.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, markhollin said:

TBT: SunTrust, Viridian, and--in far upper left--Hampton Inn under construction ten years ago. 

The Hampton gets a lot of flack on these boards because of how tiny it is in such a central location, but keep in mind how much of a wasteland the other side of KVB was back then. One look at that image and you can't help but agree that even our teeny little Hampton was about as risky and forward-thinking as you could get for that location and time.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

downtown-vancouver-skyline-morning_zpsvv

Actually Vancouver is where I think Nashville is headed in twenty years or so.  This is how I expect the inner 2-3 sq miles of Nashville to look, sometime after I"m dead. (sans the mountains, obviously)

Vancouver metro is only about 2.5 million.  Amazing downtown for a city that size.

We can only hope. That's how you maximize river potential. 

Yeah, Vancouver is a beautiful, incredible city.  I just meant in terms of skyline, it's a little flat.  But really, where is that on the list of importance when we really get serious and down to business?  70th?  haha...if Nashville ended up like Vancouver, skyline and all, I'd be floored.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tim29tn said:

We can only hope. That's how you maximize river potential. 

One thing that is really unique about Vancouver is that it does not have an interstate system going through it, which is remarkable for a city that size.  I remember my first trip there and the car rental people made a point of telling me that there is no direct interstate or highway that will get you into the city from the airport so to really pay attention to my route (this was before GPS).  I read somewhere that it was quite intentional by the city leaders not to ever have an interstate system leading into their downtown because they wanted the downtown area to always be a living/working environment and it is.  It's quite vibrant and one of the cleanness cities I've ever been to.  While there is suburban sprawl around Vancouver, the city core has remained the focal point of the region in terms of jobs, entertainment and dinning.  The city has a very young spirit about it that is very contagious no matter your age.

I'm not sure that Nashville could ever get to the level of Vancouver in terms of density, but if this trend of building 20-30 story residential buildings continues, then Nashville will take on a similar feel to Vancouver.  Of course Vancouver has several buildings over 30 stories.  I believe their tallest is 62 stories.  Nashville has yet to see any serious proposals for anything over 50 since Signature Tower.

• Like 3

Also, part of why Vancouver has the density is that close to half the city, which is basically an island. is Stanley Park.  The apartments there are extremely small, think New York or smaller, but the city life with the huge park keeps people constantly outside even in Seattle or cooler type weather.  One of the best cities I've been to in North America or Europe.

• Like 3