Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, chris holman said:

Skyhouse rising in the background

image-192.jpeg

I get a hint of Charlotte and Austin with this shot.  I think he SoBro is going to look really nice (more than it already does).

Edited by timmay143

46 minutes ago, Griz83 said:

Hurts to think of what might have been, had those structures around the courthouse been saved.

Yeah, it's kind of sobering for Nashville to be a place with some of the more clear examples of how the glorification of the individual automobile can really damage a city.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

A shot of the county courthouse and KVB bridge lit up in rainbow colors in honor of the 2016 Bingham Cup being held in Nashville, which is the gay rubgy world championships (who knew there was such a thing?)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cjbm9PNXAAQs2na.jpg:large

EDIT:  Sometimes the pictures show up, sometimes they don't.  To use the [ img ] tags or not to use them.  No idea.  This new website format sure does have it's quirks.

do they consistently change up what colors they have for the bridge? or is it typically just for special events/holidays and most nights it is just white lights? I am rarely downtown at night

23 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

A shot of the county courthouse and KVB bridge lit up in rainbow colors in honor of the 2016 Bingham Cup being held in Nashville, which is the gay rubgy world championships (who knew there was such a thing?)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cjbm9PNXAAQs2na.jpg:large

EDIT:  Sometimes the pictures show up, sometimes they don't.  To use the [ img ] tags or not to use them.  No idea.  This new website format sure does have it's quirks.

I looked into this Bingham Cup thing a little bit more, and it turns out, it's a much bigger deal than I had realized.  I mean, I guess if they're changing the lighting schemes on city landmarks it's gotta be more than a casual scrum in the park, but still, while not exactly The Olympics, there are teams here representing not only the major cities of the US and Canada, but also from the UK, Ireland, Sweden, New Zealand, Australia, The Netherlands, Germany, and Portugal.  Pretty cool!

• Like 4

Here are two prime two corners that need some key development.  1) NE corner of Third Avenue North and Church, and--right across the street-- 2) SE corner of Third Avenue North and Church.  Both lots are nearly identical in square footage and shape. Currently they are vastly under-utilized as surface lots in an area of town that is heavily trafficked by foot and vehicle. UTGrad09 (Kevin) and I agree that some sort of twin buildings on each side of Church would be really cool, especially if they were bricked.  His thought would be to connect it below-grade with a massive underground parking garage.  While I like that, I also think it would be boffo to have a couple of 10-15 story buildings (if codes would allow) that would have a connecting arch/bridge between featuring a restaurant and/or kiosks hanging about 3 stories over the street.  It would echo the Printer's Alley Arch just half a block to the east, and would serve as an entrance-way either down to the 2nd Avenue District if heading along Church from the east, or a way of entering the Banker's District/Printer's Alley area if heading west on Church away from the river.  Visually, it could become another landmark for the CBD and really help encourage the pedestrian flow between those two neighborhoods, as well as covering those atrocious blank walls of the surrounding structures. Of course, there would need to be retail and eateries on the sidewalk level in both structures as well. The tenants of each building could either be hotel, condos/apartments, or offices--all three are in equally high demand in that area.

Thoughts?

Church & 3rd NE corner, April 2016.jpg

Church & 3rd SE corner, April 2016.jpg

Here are the two lots as captured in Smeagolsfree's excellent Development Map. I estimate the southern lot is about 20 feet longer than the northern lot.

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 10.07.58 AM.png

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

On 5/26/2016 at 8:10 AM, Vrtigo said:

Yeah, it's kind of sobering for Nashville to be a place with some of the more clear examples of how the glorification of the individual automobile can really damage a city.

I don't know if Nashville is the best example for the individual automobile damaging a city considering how much our booming economy has been because of the automobile industry. I guess it's all about perspective.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Ask Detroit how that worked out in the long run. ;)

Fair point, except there are major differences in play. Detroit's economy   was dang near 100% automotive - driven (no pun) for many decades. Nashville's isn't.  Detroit and the auto oligarchs of old....along with their legacy inefficiencies, labor/union burdens and myriad other systemic issues - have been pit into the crucible and remade - or shuttered. Nashvile & Detroit is a very unfair comparison.

• Like 1