Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

30-39 stories: 5 buildings (5th & Broadway office tower, 5th & Broadway apartment tower, Buckingham Gulch)

40+ stories: 3 buildings (Second & Demonbreun condo tower, Second & Demonbreun apartment tower)

Great news!  So you're giving these projects I didn't edit out of your post above high probability of happening?  I think a few of us are starting to loose faith in a few of these projects; especially those that include luxury apartments.

Edited by L'burgnative

I hope by no means that I wasn't coming off in my post as disagreeing with you.  It's been a while since we've heard good or bad news (excepts for Second & Demonbreun Tower redesign) in months.  I guess for us that are outside the know; the more time that passes the more we doubt.  Speaking of those projects was there another extension made for the 5th and Broad/OCC redevelopment? What's the latest there; because I thought something would have come out Oct 1 about where that project is?

Edited by L'burgnative

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ Phil Bredesen was quite the visionary.  Was glad to serve as one of the members of the Arena Planning Committee from '93-'95. 

Yes, he was.  Wasn't he also responsible for getting the new main library built, and for insisting that it have a classical design instead of some contemporary design?  And wasn't he also responsible for getting the Country Music Hall and Fame to move downtown?  I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I remember most.  Nashville has had some really good leaders the last couple of decades, but Phil Bredesen stands out in my book.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Yes, he was.  Wasn't he also responsible for getting the new main library built, and for insisting that it have a classical design instead of some contemporary design?  And wasn't he also responsible for getting the Country Music Hall and Fame to move downtown?  I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I remember most.  Nashville has had some really good leaders the last couple of decades, but Phil Bredesen stands out in my book.

Bredesen was fine for downtown development, but that's all. I would disagree vehemently that Nashville has had excellent leaders politically in my lifetime (specifically Mayors) going back to Beverly Briley. I'd certainly add that places like Antioch have not been served by any of them.

15 hours ago, markhollin said:

All true.  Additionally, he also worked-out a land-swap with the US Postal Service for property they needed out near the airport in exchange for the Downtown P.O. which then became the Frist Arts Center. He got the KVB Bridge going.  He helped pave the way for the Titans arrival and construction of Nissan Stadium. Once the arena was underway, he worked hard at courting the NHL for a franchise, as well the as the Arena Football League. He worked closely with the State on getting the Bicentennial Mall put together. Besides the beautiful Downtown Library, he also got substantial work done on remodeling at least a dozen of the branches and getting them all digitally interconnected. There's more, I'm sure...this is just off the top of my head.

Before luring the professional teams and all the other stuff being mentioned here, the real game changer IMO was when Bredesen got Opryland to invest in 2nd Ave.  At the time there wasn't  much happening there, other than a couple of restaurants.   I believe there was Prime Cut (where I bartended), Spaghetti Factory, and Laurell's.  Lower Broadway was worse.  It was mainly inhabited by adult entertainment businesses.  What people today don't realize is that for the longest time, Opryland and the City were barely on speaking terms, which no doubt was a factor in Opryland leaving the Ryman in the early-mid 70s and head for the burbs.  After they opened up their club on 2nd in the 90s; they would load up one of their boats with hotel visitors and literally unload them on 1st ave.  It started the momentum that would result in the arena, the stadium, the entertainment, etc. Bredesen is as much as anyone responsible for Downtown's resurgence.  It's as if knew that we had sold our soul to tourism a long time ago, so why not go all in. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

Thanks, I get so sick of the political comments from a number on here.  Post it on facebook if you want, not here.

We're all grown ups here (I think). It is impossible to avoid all discussion of politics since it overlaps with urban development, so this silly complaint that it must never be seen or heard, lest it offend the sensibilities of some special snowflakes who can't handle seeing a comment that doesn't jibe with their worldview, should be dismissed out of hand. If you don't like a discussion that is relevant to the topic and comments being made, ignore it and move on to the next thread.

• Like 2