Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

10 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Sorry for posting that long thread, but folks want to see it. Just one more to go.

It's probably one of most elaborately illustrated summaries in the entire Nashville Forum.  I'm going to squirrel it away offline as an archive ─ a Li'l library authority, as it were, because that's really what it is, as if it were an illustrated album in its own right.  Using it as a template, as you said, Ron, makes it much easier to update if for use as a ready reference.

• Like 1

I know this is about a year old...you'll have to fill-in with your mind's eye where Skyhouse, it's garage, The Morris, and Aertson projects are all topped-out. Then imagine what this will look like in another few years with the Musica Fountains, Virgin Hotel, the two towers at 1810 Broadway, the Hyatt Place Hotel on Hayes and 21st (in distance) and perhaps the Spectrum Emery on the far left edge and Elmington/Demonbreun Hill apartment building on the far right edge.  

Midtown tennessean_zps29jmd4h8.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone here familiar enough with TSU to know if they would ever consider expanding their downtown facilities?  I've always thought that is such an odd building.  Is that style called "brutalist"?  

Brutal, yes. Demolish that hideous thing and put up a nice tower in its place and the college can occupy the lower floors.

TSU has an opportunity to break free from their past and use the downtown campus to fuel growth by offering beefed-up degrees that complement what the business community needs.  Unfortunately they now also have to worry about all the other area universities which have just been freed from TBR rule. The days of "territories" are over and now MTSU, Austin Peay, TECH, and even Memphis can plop a campus down anywhere their new boards desire. Lipscomb has already begun the process of claiming downtown. It's nice to see the cbd become more than bars and office workers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memphian said:

Unfortunately they now also have to worry about all the other area universities which have just been freed from TBR rule. The days of "territories" are over and now MTSU, Austin Peay, TECH, and even Memphis can plop a campus down anywhere their new boards desire.

I consider that a good thing. Force the universities to compete.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone here familiar enough with TSU to know if they would ever consider expanding their downtown facilities?  I've always thought that is such an odd building.  Is that style called "brutalist"?  

That building originally had been the new expansion of UTN (Univ. of Tenn. at Nashville), which also had concurrently (for a very short period span) occupied the post-turn-of-the-20-century building on the NE corner of 9th and Broadway (the Sou. Methodist Publishing House), the west side of which faces Christ Church Cathedral.  I attended UTN classes in that Brutalist expansion, opened 1977 or '78, as well as at the former old "campus".  Even the sign on the TSU Avon Williams Campus, I consider "brutal", if not overkill.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 3:44 AM, markhollin said:

Eventually....I can see a magnificent domed football stadium (a la the Colts' Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis) in that slot where the fuel tanks and recycling businesses are south of KVB on the east side of the river. Then, Nissan Stadium would come down, and a beautiful Major League baseball park would be built in it's stead, but closer to the river.  Looking out from that stadium over right and center field would be a view of Nashville's burgeoning skyline...a vista that would rival that of downtown Pittsburgh from the Pirates' PNC Park. A long home run over the right field wall would have the possibility of getting wet.

Music City Aerial 17 x.png

Nonsense. Are you suggesting those beautiful Hackberrys and Honeysuckle lining the river would simply be razed? And polluting our city's waterways with baseballs? That's the last thing we need to be doing! 

• Like 4