Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It was indeed a slightly raised median with groves in it to deter cars from riding on it.  But you could still make turns over it because it wasn't designed to inhibit turning.  I hated driving over it.  I believe it was removed in stages.  If I recall the area shown in the picture (from 25th/West End up to 31st) is where it stayed the longest.  If I recall it was removed during the late 80's to create a turn lane.

Thanks.   hmm, I was at VU in the early 80's and don't remember it being there then.  I think it was already gone by then. 

On 5/23/2017 at 1:38 PM, CenterHill said:

In that bottom photo of West End, are those the street car rails you can see in the center lane?  

6 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It was indeed a slightly raised median with groves in it to deter cars from riding on it.  But you could still make turns over it because it wasn't designed to inhibit turning.  I hated driving over it.  I believe it was removed in stages.  If I recall the area shown in the picture (from 25th/West End up to 31st) is where it stayed the longest.  If I recall it was removed during the late 80's to create a turn lane.

That GM "Old-Look" transit coach in the cream-and-red color scheme (adopted at the end of the the Korean-War), and that at least two1964 Chevy Impalas can be observed within the photo elements, along with the tree canopy in abundance of green foliage, collectively suggest that this photo period is between 1964 and 1965, just prior to the NTC's (then-privately owned Nashville Transit Company) transition to a green-on-silver color scheme, to better match the newer GM "New-Look" or "Fishbowl" coaches on order for a 1966-67 delivery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nashtitans said:

^wow...imagine if all that was still there

For what it's worth most of those buildings weren't designed to last beyond the few weeks needed. The current Parthenon itself is a reconstruction of the expo version, which was constructed out of plaster, wood, and brick.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

For what it's worth most of those buildings weren't designed to last beyond the few weeks needed. The current Parthenon itself is a reconstruction of the expo version, which was constructed out of plaster, wood, and brick.

Wasnt one of those buildings moved off highway 96 in Franklin!? I'm like 95 percent sure it was from the Centennial celebration.  

IMG_0144.PNG

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

FOX 17 has added two cameras to their website under the weather tab. One is on lower Broadway, and the other has a nice view of downtown from Nissan stadium. 

http://fox17.com/weather/wztv-weather-camera

I'm looking at that Lower Broadway cam and am amazed.  Here it is 11pm on a Thursday night, and that place is still hopping.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I'm looking at that Lower Broadway cam and am amazed.  Here it is 11pm on a Thursday night, and that place is still hopping.

Ha that's right it's only Thursday! Well actually it's already Friday here in VB lol. I was looking at the Broadway cam as well thinking it was the weekend. There were still plenty of people and cars out around 0300 yesterday when I checked it out.  I can't wait to see it this holiday weekend with everything going on downtown. Actually I will be glad to see it in person when I come home to visit in July. Can't get here soon enough. I need to get out of Hampton Roads...

Edited by TNinVB
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Please do! Deployed right now and my internet doesn't have enough bandwidth to support any kind of streaming and I can't get most webcams to load even still shots...but I can get screen grabs here!

Thank you for your service.

• Like 3