Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, TNinVB said:

I was in town a few times over the last couple of weeks to pick up and drop off my mom. She visited VB for a couple of weeks. One thing I noticed that was very annoying was the condition of the interstates in the inner loop near downtown. Good lord can TDOT repave it already?? Also, on my drive to Nashville from VB I took a new route instead of the usual I-64 to I-81 South then to 40 West. I took Hwy 58 to 85 South into the Triangle in North Carolina and then 40 West. It is the most beautiful drive in the mountain around Asheville and before Knoxville. One thing that really stood out to me is how nice the interstate is around the Triangle (Durham, Burlington, Winston-Salem) and the interchanges are landscaped very nicely. Even the concrete barriers in the middle of the interstate had landscaping (mostly trees and shrubs) and there were patches along the side of the interstate with sunflowers that were in bloom. It was very impressive. I wish TDOT would do something like this in Nashville or around Tennessee in general. Don't get me wrong, there is some beautiful scenery along the interstates in Tennessee, but out interchanges around the metro areas are in need of some major upkeep. Just my two cents...

Maybe the transportation funding bill will help them improve the appearance of the interstates in Nashville? I know they're supposed to rebuild 440, I'm assuming the inner loop is on the docket, as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

1. The traffic flow in downtown would be so much better if every street north of KVB, with the exception of Commerce, Broadway and Demonbreun, was converted to a one way. I'm sure the way the streets are now was from back when Nashville was still a sleepy southern town, but now I think doing this would be for the better.

Believe it or not, the two ways are relatively new. Most of the avenues were one way. But over the years (mostly in the last 5 or so) they have converted nearly all of them to two way. 

It's very frustrating. What's even more frustrating is how it seems that no one cares. In fact, most people I talk to say "it's easier". No one seems to understand the multiple benefits/safety of one ways. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

One ways and two ways both have their various pros and cons of course, but one thing is for certain.  It's rather silly to categorize one ways as a more "big city" solution.  Random list of two way streets:  Broadway (NYC), Michigan Ave. (Chicago), Wilshire Blvd. (Los Angeles), Constitution Ave. (Washington), Yonge St. (Toronto), Champs Elysees (Paris), The Strand (London), Avienda de los Insurgentes Sur (Mexico City), Zhongshan East Rd. (Shanghai), Aoyama Dori (Tokyo), Swami Vivikanand Rd. (Mumbai), Al Haram (Cairo)... okay, you get it... you get it.  

I personally prefer the two way solution as they offer a variety of benefits, whereas the primary benefit of one way streets, as far as I can tell, is essentially to move traffic through quicker.

I get what you're saying, but the main difference is that those streets you mention are fairly wide, and thus are built to handle heavier two-way traffic.

Meanwhile, Church Street and 5th Avenue are both fairly narrow in comparison. They seemed to back up quite badly as a result. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

I get what you're saying, but the main difference is that those streets you mention are fairly wide, and thus are built to handle heavier two-way traffic.

Meanwhile, Church Street and 5th Avenue are both fairly narrow in comparison. They seemed to back up quite badly as a result. 

It'll help when they're done with 505 and can open up both lanes of 5th, and when they get done with whatever it is that's causing Church to get shut down between 2nd and 4th so much. I wouldn't mind if they made 3rd and 5th one-way. One-way 4th flows pretty smooth most of the day, even with the construction on the printers alley and fairlane hotels, and I've never had much a problem with OW 2nd and 6th either, except for the odd annoying liquor delivery truck or tour bus on 2nd. 

^ ^ ^ What?  If you mean CBD, there's some merit to that.  But if you mean downtown as a whole, let's not forget the arena, library, Hilton, Schermerhorn, Pinnacle, Bridgestone Arena, 222 2nd Ave. South, Omni, Ascend Amphitheater, Walk of Fame Park, Music city Center, Marriott Tri-Brand, Olmstead, Drury Plaza, Hilton Tru, Westin, JW Marriott, Cambria Suites, everything in the Gulch, Rolling Mill Hill, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ What?  If you mean CBD, there's some merit to that.  But if you mean downtown as a whole, let's not forget the arena, library, Hilton, Schermerhorn, Pinnacle, Bridgestone Arena, 222 2nd Ave. South, Omni, Ascend Amphitheater, Walk of Fame Park, Music city Center, Marriott Tri-Brand, Olmstead, Drury Plaza, Hilton Tru, Westin, JW Marriott, Cambria Suites, everything in the Gulch, Rolling Mill Hill, etc.  

Fairlane, Bobby, Noel Hotel, Dream Hotel, Holston House, 21c, 5th & Broad...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

Fairlane, Bobby, Noel Hotel, Dream Hotel, Holston House, 21c, 5th & Broad...

Come on, do you really not get what he was saying? He wasn't' saying nothing has happened. More so that not much has impacted the skyline in that pic without Tony G.

And none of those that you mentioned do change that photo. Fairlaine, Bobby, & Holston are remodels. MAYBE you could say the Dream Hotel changed the skyline....but lets be realistic here.

• Like 3

Tony had a lot to do with the over all growth because he was the only   developer that even believe in downtown.   I believe he help jump-started a lot of the projects. Just   by the influx of residential  living in the city   he helped promote the work, play and live atmosphere in downtown. When downtown was dead.

• Like 4