Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Just stunning. You have such a great view.

Crazy talk alert!!  Would love so much for that parking lot along 4th Avenue South (just north of the Schermerhorn and directly across from Hilton Hotel) to be developed into something very tall. If that ever happened (and I'm not even saying there's a remote chance of it), that sucker would be towering right straight in the middle of the skyline shot taken from Icon. We've discussed what that might look like... and even the idea of a ground level plaza between Broadway and the Schermerhorn. Dare to dream! 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Just stunning. You have such a great view.

Crazy talk alert!!  Would love so much for that parking lot along 4th Avenue South (just north of the Schermerhorn and directly across from Hilton Hotel) to be developed into something very tall. If that ever happened (and I'm not even saying there's a remote chance of it), that sucker would be towering right straight in the middle of the skyline shot taken from Icon. We've discussed what that might look like... and even the idea of a ground level plaza between Broadway and the Schermerhorn. Dare to dream! 

IMO, it's probably only a matter of time honestly.

It would also help to connect the SoBro high rises with the rest of downtown. Even now, things still look disjointed because of Broadway.

9 minutes ago, chris holman said:

The JW Marriott is what Nashville been needing for a long time very well designed indeed

And it will be complimented nicely by the Embassy-Curio.

Just need a high rise on that lot perpendicular to the Convention Center to make 8th & Demonbreun complete.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:
53 minutes ago, chris holman said:

Just need a high rise on that lot perpendicular to the Convention Center to make 8th & Demonbreun complete.

I think the federal government owns that plot. Not much of a chance of something happening with it haha

13 minutes ago, Predsboy18 said:

As I mentioned go Ron Saturday, I am linking to the photos from my trip a couple weeks ago. These are from Facebook, but they are public, so everyone SHOULD be able to see them. If not, by all means, let me know, and I'll figure out some other way to get these to the board. \

Photos from my road trip

Enjoy!

That's definitely an epic trip!  Toronto is very nice.  Great photos.  Btw...where was that soccer match?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

That's definitely an epic trip!  Toronto is very nice.  Great photos.  Btw...where was that soccer match?

The matches are held at BMO Field, which is out at the Canadian National Exhibition. A quick 10 minutes ride by train.

One thing I would advise people NOT to do in Toronto, is drive in the city. It's tough to get around, and with the emphasis on pedestrians and cyclists, it makes it difficult to execute a turn at most intersections. They have a WONDERFUL transit system that will get you most places you want/need to go, plus it's too beautiful NOT to walk around the city.

• Like 4

That picture really shows how far we've come, but also how much developable land is still left. What's the deal with that parking lot between first and second avenues, on Church street where Riverfront Tavern used to be? Is there any eventual plan for it, or rumors? 

7 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

That picture really shows how far we've come, but also how much developable land is still left. What's the deal with that parking lot between first and second avenues, on Church street where Riverfront Tavern used to be? Is there any eventual plan for it, or rumors? 

That's been there since the mid '80s when the mid-19th century buildings on it were victims of arson. There were plans for a mid-rise skyscraper on the lot soon after, but opposition arose from the Historical Commission because it didn't fit with the surrounding buildings. I don't think anything else has been planned for this lot in the 30 years since. I think a nice Neo-Second Empire building of around 5 or so stories would go nicely here. ^_^

• Like 2

One of these days, this will be a great locale for a big boy (or two) with lots of good street activation. Will help with connectivity between the 5th & Broadway development/Renaissance to the east and Nashville Yards to the west.

Looking west along the  southern edge of Commerce Street between 7th Ave. and Rosa Parks Blvd. from the 17th floor of The Renaissance Hotel:

Commerce between 7th and 8th site, Aug, 2017.jpg

• Like 1

That lot is used for Hume Fogg parking.     I suppose a new structure could include an equivalent number of spaces for school use, but I would hate to see the school lose what little parking it has.     Students who drive, as many do because magnet schools do not have MNPS busing, are already limited and priced out of parking options .   

• Like 1