Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

5 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That is the 5th and Broad project. 1 residential and 1 office (Alliance Bernstein) and a ground level like your EpiCentre, including the National Museum of African American Music (NMAAM) and a rooftop beer garden/food court. 

Yes and Charlotte based Spectrum is developing the office portion of it I think. 

• Like 2

Looks very cool, but the strangest thing about DC (architecture-wise!) to me is the way the buildings are all chopped off due to the height restriction.  Not a bad idea to preserve the dome-dominance but the buildings seem all to be chafing at the bit to go higher.  It gives so much of the city an odd look as everything's the same height.  One thing I like about Nashville is the huge differences in scale (as well as age and style) of buildings DT.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Looks very cool, but the strangest thing about DC (architecture-wise!) to me is the way the buildings are all chopped off due to the height restriction.  Not a bad idea to preserve the dome-dominance but the buildings seem all to be chafing at the bit to go higher.  It gives so much of the city an odd look as everything's the same height.  One thing I like about Nashville is the huge differences in scale (as well as age and style) of buildings DT.

Agree. I wonder if it would economically benefit DC to scrap, or at least raise, the height restriction? 

I do appreciate the historic preservation and height limits- D.C. is America's only large city that feels European (how ironic, haha). The only other well-traveled American city without a penchant for a tall skyline is Charleston, South Carolina, which has beautifully preserved its history by restricting any buildings from exceeding the height of the church steeples. On top of that, Charleston is significantly smaller than D.C.  It's truly amazing how such a large American city has avoided building tall to this day! To put it in perspective, the D.C. and Atlanta metro populations are roughly the same, yet the two cities look completely different. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Agree. I wonder if it would economically benefit DC to scrap, or at least raise, the height restriction? 

I do appreciate the historic preservation and height limits- D.C. is America's only large city that feels European (how ironic, haha). The only other well-traveled American city without a penchant for a tall skyline is Charleston, South Carolina, which has beautifully preserved its history by restricting any buildings from exceeding the height of the church steeples. On top of that, Charleston is significantly smaller than D.C.  It's truly amazing how such a large American city has avoided building tall to this day! To put it in perspective, the D.C. and Atlanta metro populations are roughly the same, yet the two cities look completely different. 

There have been numerous attempts to increase the height restrictions in DC since I moved here in the fall of 2000.  All have pretty much failed.  A few years ago the city did grant exemptions in certain areas, but trust me they didn't allow much of an exemption.  I don't know what it equates to in terms of height, but in terms of stories I think a few buildings were allowed to go as tall as 14 or 15.  Granted there were already 14 story buildings in the area, but these buildings don't have high ceilings as they are mostly residential or hotel properties.  There's a Hyatt Place Hotel that might be 15 stories.  In the area where that building is located the height restrictions were relaxed a bit.  Most of the tall buildings in the DC metro area is outside of DC proper.  The tallest being the Capital One Tower in Tysons, VA (31 stories 470 ft) where they are building a suburban city.  The tallest building closest to DC is 31 story, 390 ft office tower across the Potomac River in Rosslyn, VA.

Here's an interesting article about DC versus cities around the world in terms of height limits... DC's height restrictions are contentious:  Here's what we could learn from cities around the world.  I suspect Nashville could learn a little something as well given how the city still seems to be reluctant to go taller than 40 stories.  But hey, at least they finally approved 40 stories.  Can we get to 50 or 60 should an offer come along?

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, PillowTalk4 said:

That view is a prime reason why I believe the entire East Bank should be developed into a mixed-use stretch of housing, retail, hotels, dining and entertainment that would be a live and play zone.    It's large enough to have a variety of housing,  from row homes, to mid/high rise condos/apartments.  It could easily support boutique hotels and the mid-range properties like Hyatt Place.  I would love to see the area develop like Southwest Washington, DC.  It includes a stretches that is a similar distance as the East Bank in Nashville.  It also includes the National's Baseball Stadium.  Yet it is surrounded by housing of various types, hotels, entertainment venues, bars/restaurants.  The newly developed DC Wharf is really nice and was a multi-billion dollar renovation of the area.  The new soccer stadium DC United is also being built in the area.

Just imagine the the warehouses and of course the metal scrape yard near Nissan Stadium being replaced with something more like this....

1776200256_DistrictWharf.thumb.JPG.6ca7f0dc8ee19f42cf7bd0aef095753b.JPG

That's just a portion of the Wharf and small portion of SW DC.  That's the newest area and it's very nice.  There's a coblestone walk that runs the full length of that area that is also open to some vehicular traffic but very limited.  There's parking underneath it for both residents and those visiting and working in the area.  There 's also boardwalks/piers that take you out over the water like the one featured in the photo that ends with an artistic fire pit.  The arches that you see along one side of the pier are bench swings that are pretty cool  that people seem to love.  There's also a water taxi area to take people to other spots along the Anacostia and Potomac rivers.

Anyway, just imagine if the photo of Nashville didn't have to be cropped to remove the blight of the area and instead the East Bank was developed to be less industrial.  Just imagine some of the parking lots for Nissan Stadium being replaced with garages topped with hotels and apartments.  I know tailgaters might not be a big fan of that, but tailgating only takes place from September to December.  Creating a livable/working East Bank would be year-round and generate revenue for the city.

The River North project for the area between the Cumberland and I-24 north of Spring Street (along Cowan) will very much be like a riverfront Gulch if developed as proposed.