Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I think to really appreciate the  L&C Tower you have to walk up to it and embrace the beauty of its lines and materials.  Stand on the opposite corner from its entrance and look at how it  addresses you.  That's when you realize that it stands with a level of elegance and sophistication that sets it apart from virtually every tower in downtown Nashville.

Very well said. 

• Like 1

I find the L&C Tower gorgeous at street level and the aerial parts are a fine example of the architecture of its period.  A city should have a collection of different kinds of buildings that reflect its history and character. 

I will say that while 505 is largely meh, the street level on Church seems elegant and lovely, at least driving by.  I haven't done a walking tour that far north for a while.  The sign is almost a landmark already.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Understood.

If Nashville Yards had similar L&C Tower as their tall boy for the project, I think a lot of people would be disappointed. 

But I get the history aspect / first girlfriend analogies. I have a love / hate relationship with Nissan Stadium, but 70% of it is because of memories as a child and feeling like "Nashville was on the map". However, if the Titans came out with renderings of a new stadium and it was a copy of Nissan, I would be mad.

That's the thing, though. L&C was an appropriate tall boy for its time. You wouldn't want to build another L&C or Snodgrass (American General) or UBS (First American)...there are very few towers in this city that I look at and think "yeah, I wish we had another one." Maybe 5th/3rd (Third National). Likewise, there are very few towers I would outright replace -- the reason being that I like the variety in our skyline, and the sort of evolution that you can see as you look at it. 

Nissan stadium came at an interesting time, when stadiums were getting expensive, but weren't really lavish. To think that we spent less than $300 million (in mid 90s dollars) on an NFL stadium when new stadiums are being built for $1.5-2 billion....well....there's no comparison. So to an extent, you are right. They wouldn't build a new stadium that was a copy of Nissan. The team would never stand for that. The market is going to demand something nicer and more modern, and suitable for the current NFL.

Which is why you won't see another L&C built. Aside from style, it just would not be suitable for Class A office space in 2018.

• Like 4

On 7/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, LA_TN said:

The Batman building is unique. The L&C Tower is also unique. It's always nice to see those letters lit up at night! I miss the days when the colors changed to predict the weather. While not as majestic as, say, the Empire State Building, it leaves a lasting impression, while a building like 505 is "just infill"

PSX_20180727_124132.jpg

That Renaissance building tho! Ugh..... So heinously ugly. I wish they'd gone taller instead of wider. And it's true: the 505 is a good infill building. Tall, but hopefully to be obscured by ones that are taller.

As for the L&C, it was an architectural marvel when it was built. Very "mod."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

That Renaissance building tho! Ugh..... So heinously ugly. I wish they'd gone taller instead of wider. And it's true: the 505 is a good infill building. Tall, but hopefully to be obscured by ones that are taller.

Yeah...the Renaissance should now be called "The Zebra Wall."

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

The L&C Tower is an Icon of the City.....unfortunately now partially obscured by......a wide building.

The Renaissance is also a wide building.

These two wide buildings do not mesh with the rest of Nashville"s skyline. Period.

32 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

The L&C Tower is an Icon of the City.....unfortunately now partially obscured by......a wide building.

The Renaissance is also a wide building.

These two wide buildings do not mesh with the rest of Nashville"s skyline. Period.

Hey, this is 2018, don't discriminate against the girthy ones. Sure, the tall skinny ones always get the attention, but the big ones... The big ones have had a looooot of people inside th.... Wait, what was I talking about?

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2018 at 8:40 PM, nashvylle said:

Can anyone explain people's fascination with L&C Tower? I know it was the tallest building in the south when built, but I have always found it extremely ugly, but people seem to love it

You probably never got your weather outlook from the building.  The letter lighting would progress up for warming trend, progress down for cooling. Blue for clear or dry, red for rain or precipitation. It was the tallest building in the southeast for 4 years until the Bank of Georgia building went up in '61. So far as the south including Texas, taller was the art deco Gulf building in Houston at 37 stories and the Eperson building equal in  height to L&C with 32 stories, both built in '29. You should read the Wiki entry for the Gulf building, which it says was one of the most expensive private restoration projects in history.  quote: "The structure was already a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorgan_Chase_Building_(Houston)

(1st looking ESE) West Houston - downtown southern segment upper left, Texas Medical Center upper right, West Loop foreground.     (2nd looking ENE) NASA B27 fleet out for a rare photo op, downtown in the distance, West Loop foreground . I think these aircraft are to keep the astronauts' flying skills in practice. 

west Houston.jpg

B27 over Houston.jpg

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, dragonfly said:

You probably never got your weather outlook from the building.  The letter lighting would progress up for warming trend, progress down for cooling. Blue for clear or dry, red for rain or precipitation. It was the tallest building in the southeast for 4 years until the Bank of Georgia building went up in '61. So far as the south including Texas, taller was the art deco Gulf building in Houston at 37 stories and the Eperson building equal in  height to L&C with 32 stories, both built in '29. You should read the Wiki entry for the Gulf building, which it says was one of the most expensive private restoration projects in history.  quote: "The structure was already a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorgan_Chase_Building_(Houston)

(1st looking ESE) West Houston - downtown southern segment upper left, Texas Medical Center upper right, West Loop foreground.     (2nd looking ENE) NASA B27 fleet out for a rare photo op, downtown in the distance, West Loop foreground . I think these aircraft are to keep the astronauts' flying skills in practice. 

west Houston.jpg

B27 over Houston.jpg

Wow, its been a while since I lived or visited there. Its has gotten a lot more sprawl and a lot worse than Atlanta. Almost same model, but I don't think Houston has zoning laws or didnt have them. They may now.

1 minute ago, smeagolsfree said:

Wow, its been a while since I lived or visited there. Its has gotten a lot more sprawl and a lot worse than Atlanta. Almost same model, but I don't think Houston has zoning laws or didnt have them. They may now.

I don't think I've seen a city with a downtown...and then skyscrapers spread out all over the place in all directions for miles and miles with that much space in-between them.  It almost seems like there is no rhyme or reason to that.

• Like 4