Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

It is ironic that metro spent $75,000,000 to buy this land for the MCC and now the public works department does not have enough money to process all the flood damaged materials, metro beautification is over budget and has no money, metro general services is out of money, metro government as a whole is laying people off continually, school budgets have been cut, teachers have been cut, fire and police are not getting the recruits they need yet we have money in reserves for the MCC and now the mayor wants a new baseball park. What gives? I don't mind seeing the cranes for the fact at least we have some construction jobs because of the project, but this flood has caused metro and the city as a whole such incredible damage it will take decades to repair and where is the money going to come from?

SEC

The money is coming out of a fund from tax collections on hotel room rentals, etc.. The fund is the sole mechanism used to pay for the land. None of this is "MDHA" money, they are just the agency of record who is doing the negotiations for the property. This is an old, tired argument that does not have any validity.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the NBJ this week about the CC HQ Hotel. If thee is not one then bookings will be hurt. Peabody and one other company are still interested in coming, but who know. Either way construction would not be completed till after the CC is finished.

As far as the Med Mart goes, I dont think you will see any movement on this till there are 60 or 70 % pre-leased which is a long way off.

We will see cranes up at Vanderbilt Children s before the Med mart.

I don't know if the engineers at Turner Construction have officially said that they could actually build on top of the existing convention center yet have they? It was my understanding they could keep the current facility open during construction.

I also remember Peabody wanting $41,000,000 in TIF money to build here and they are not getting it. I can bet on that!

SEC

Where to start?

The Medical Mart can and will start construction before the new MCC is completed. Engineering firms have already done the pre-testing on the columns (including some version of core drilling inside the facility) and have determined that it is fit to be built upward. They have also devised a plan to do so while keeping the current facility functional if that is the direction they decide to go. There are several firms already committing to lease space within the facility. The largest so far is HIMMS, an Association (the largest of its kind) that annually holds it's own trade show with over 1.2 million square feet of exhibition space. This organization alone will bring in several groups to the new facility. You can see the floor plans and leasing info on their website.Medical Mart

The Headquarters hotel is another story. Three developers are showing keen interest but will obviously play their cards close to the vest and try and get the best deal possible from the City. One of those developers has a long history with Marriott and has developed several convention center hotels including the new J. W. Marriott in Indy and the Marriott in Louisville which is the anchor hotel for their center. Yes it may hurt some sales for the opening but once announced and ground broken, it will spur additional sales for future years. The hotel does not have to be open to do this, just developed so planners know it exists. Groups book sometimes 10 years or more out so let's say the City strikes a deal next Spring, you will see the effects starting in bookings for the fall of 2014. At that point events like World Cup in 2018 or 2022, an like events will consider Nashville.

Edited by producer2

Good information Producer2! I think big things are going to happen for Nashville, maybe not as fast as some of us want them. That is why I want my wife and I to be able to move into the Gulch as soon as possible. Since our lay-offs we have secured part time employment but as soon as I can solidify a full time position, I will put my house on the market and hopefully move into Terrazzo, ICON or Velocity. We both want to be close to all the activity and be able to walk everwhere.

Its a monumental task getting out of the suburbs, especially since the flood.

I have also noticed Tony G. has been very quiet for a long while although he recently bought the Signature lot for $6 million.

SEC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Wal-Mart purchased the old Expo Center property at 100 Oaks. Wal-Mart. Not sure if this is the correct location for this post. I guess replacing one big box with another is OK but does this city need another Wal-Mart? I am making the assumption that is what they will do with the property."

It's fine to leave the post here for now, I am sure cranes will be involved! If Wal-mart gets a lot of discussion, I'll move it to its own thread. To answer your question, I think Wal-Mart wants to be like Starbucks and have over 100 locations in Nashville! I think we have plenty of Wal-Mart's. I have always disliked them for displacing the mom and pop businesses in smaller communities. The amazing fact is they did not grow so large because of prices and volume buying, but because of their state of the art distribution system.

BR86

"Wal-Mart purchased the old Expo Center property at 100 Oaks. Wal-Mart. Not sure if this is the correct location for this post. I guess replacing one big box with another is OK but does this city need another Wal-Mart? I am making the assumption that is what they will do with the property."

It's fine to leave the post here for now, I am sure cranes will be involved! If Wal-mart gets a lot of discussion, I'll move it to its own thread. To answer your question, I think Wal-Mart wants to be like Starbucks and have over 100 locations in Nashville! I think we have plenty of Wal-Mart's. I have always disliked them for displacing the mom and pop businesses in smaller communities. The amazing fact is they did not grow so large because of prices and volume buying, but because of their state of the art distribution system.

BR86

Not to mention that the closest Walmart near the 100 Oaks area is on Harding Place at Nolensville Road (a good 5-10 minutes away from the area), but even so, it's all about location.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...