Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I am a Top Chef addict, and apparently the next episode is going to be in Nashville (should've done the whole season there instead of KY, but whatever) which is awesome, but my skyscraper nerd self was irked by the two skyline shots used.  The first one was, of course, THAT shot from across the river, and the second one was an aerial from a little further south down the river, which is fine, except that it was a SUPER old shot in that 222 had just started construction, which means it had to be a good four or five years old... so no 505, no Bridgestone, no Westin, no JW Marriott etc... there must just be a library of stock aerial shots that are at the disposal of all TV channels.

• Like 4

Unless these things were actually filmed years ago, this seems like a miss on behalf of the Nashville tourism bureau (or whoever is responsible... I really don't know) for them to allow these outdated shots to continue to be used.

The images of the city really should capture the latest development progress of the city and the energy that comes with it, rather than being stale stock footage from years past. If I were them, I would require that any broadcast must include capturing their own footage that is at least as current as of when the rest of the program was filmed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Unless these things were actually filmed years ago, this seems like a miss on behalf of the Nashville tourism bureau (or whoever is responsible... I really don't know) for them to allow these outdated shots to continue to be used.

12 hours ago, FrankNash said:

^^^ The Chamber of Commerce should be keeping news outlets updated.  Right?

Networks/Sports Shows/News Organizations etc. buy stock footage for broadcasts. They have no knowledge of what is up-to-date or no longer relevant. It comes down to licensing and pricing with the companies or artists providing footage. Also, some organizations make their own stock footage to keep on file. They aren't really focused on keeping it current, just so long as they have something to show when the voice-over is talking about Nashville. 

I recently watched Anthony Bourdain's old episode of Parts Unknown he filmed in Nashville. Because they had a camera crew in the city to film the episode, they made their own footage, so it portrayed the city accurately. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 6:00 AM, markhollin said:

Up Rooftop Lounge, Fairfield Inn in Gulch from a couple years ago:

Up Rooftop Lounge, Fairfield Inn in Gulch.jpg

The UP Rooftop Lounge now has an LED light running across the top of the hand rail.  In addition to solid colors, they can run a different color from one end to the other.  Just one more cool addition to the light show that is Downtown Music City.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Networks/Sports Shows/News Organizations etc. buy stock footage for broadcasts. They have no knowledge of what is up-to-date or no longer relevant. It comes down to licensing and pricing with the companies or artists providing footage. Also, some organizations make their own stock footage to keep on file. They aren't really focused on keeping it current, just so long as they have something to show when the voice-over is talking about Nashville. 

I recently watched Anthony Bourdain's old episode of Parts Unknown he filmed in Nashville. Because they had a camera crew in the city to film the episode, they made their own footage, so it portrayed the city accurately. 

slightly related.  At the first Preds preseason game this year, I ran into a buddy from college that works for Fox sports.  I was surprised to see him there since he lives in Atlanta.  When I asked, he held up a small camera and said he was shooting updated b-roll of the arena.   they needed new footage because the arena changed from Pepsi to Coke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1