Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

34 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Good Lord.  I love skyscrapers and a good view, but there is no amount of money on Earth that you could pay me to do that job.  Bad ass doesn't even begin to cover it!  I think I pooped myself just watching the video!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Good Lord.  I love skyscrapers and a good view, but there is no amount of money on Earth that you could pay me to do that job.  Bad ass doesn't even begin to cover it!  I think I pooped myself just watching the video!

I couldnt even make it all the way through the video, hell no.

• Haha 1

^^ How things have changed.      A handful of the houses on Hillsboro Circle are still standing (now as boutique shops) as is the strip with the Bluebird Cafe.        Virtually nothing else in that frame remains.     

Hard to tell, but I bet the little building where Green Hills Lawn Mower Shop is today is in that picture somewhere.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: H.G. Hill Grocery Store and environs, Green Hills, around 1955. Hillsboro Pike running L-R at the top of the frame, Hillsboro Circle running L-R through center, and Hobbs Rd. in upper right.

1950s, HG Hill Center in Green Hills x.jpg

As much as I love all the development and growth taking place in Nashville, there are times I wish Nashville were still like this picture.

• Like 1

I understand. I used to revel in the stories my late grandfather told about Atlanta in the 1930s-50s. As he wrote in his unpublished memoirs, "There was a bubbling boom beneath the surface, but still a strong sense of community that would disappear within a generation. The white people realized the future included black people. And the black people knew the price of progress was forgiveness."  FWIW: That was my half African-American grandfather. I'm not glossing over the obvious racial issues in Atlanta at the time, but as he so eloquently relayed to us, there was a great sense of promise. As Nashville goes through its time, I see (once again) that boomtowns transcend our differences.

I think many here know that I'm not a PC preacher. I don't even like much of the modern 'diversity' BS we hear everywhere now. I have no doubt that he is where I got my conservative view of things. He was a staunch Republican. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I understand. I used to revel in the stories my late grandfather told about Atlanta in the 1930s-50s. As he wrote in his unpublished memoirs, "There was a bubbling boom beneath the surface, but still a strong sense of community that would disappear within a generation. The white people realized the future included black people. And the black people knew the price of progress was forgiveness."  FWIW: That was my half African-American grandfather. I'm not glossing over the obvious racial issues in Atlanta at the time, but as he so eloquently relayed to us, there was a great sense of promise. As Nashville goes through its time, I see (once again) that boomtowns transcend our differences.

I think many here know that I'm not a PC preacher. I don't even like much of the modern 'diversity' BS we hear everywhere now. I have no doubt that he is where I got my conservative view of things. He was a staunch Republican. 

I don't agree with some of your sentiments but the line  " the price of progress was forgiveness" is really interesting and maybe even profound.  

• Like 1

Not trying to pick a bone... and we can take this to the coffee house or DM, but I'm curious what you don't agree with.

I didn't want to gild the lily, but he worked very closely with Dr. MLK Jr. who was just three years younger. That's the main reason he wrote his memoirs. Priceless. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Not trying to pick a bone... and we can take this to the coffee house or DM, but I'm curious what you don't agree with.

I didn't want to gild the lily, but he worked very closely with Dr. MLK Jr. who was just three years younger. That's the main reason he wrote his memoirs. Priceless. 

Wow... he sounds like a very impressive man.  Thank you for sharing part of his story!

• Like 3