Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

There tearing down some old buildings right across the street from the Hampton Inn&Suites in So Bo. But the buildings not in the way of the Gateway Bridge expansion, so is there another project in the works in the area?

I checked out the Metro building and demo permits. Sometimes they have what is replacing the Demo in the area, but not this time. I think the parcels in question were bought by a group that has plans to build either condos or a convention hotel if the CC goes in Sobro. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens there.

Of note: from the Metro building permits. There was a demo issued for the interior only of the old Fudruckers building on West End. I would think that the project that was planned on this site may be dead. The permit makes me believe that there will be a remodel happening at this site.

So how many is that now in the DT vicinity?

Suntrust......... 1

Encore..... ......1

5th and Main....1

Hampton.........1

Icon................2

Vandy Dorms...3

Vandy Hospital.1

The West End...1

I know I've missed one or two. What else???

Wow... Counting the ones in the pics, and 5 and Main, that's 15 right now. And they're not coming down for several months. If the BBS and Westin towers get going by late spring, then it's possible that those two (or three) will be added to the mix. Can you imagine what the Rolling Mill Hill and or Sounds Ballpark (or even Signature) would look. Damn, Nashville's DT would look like a Chinese suburb. LOL

All of that would be worth a drive up just to see!

Edited by ATLBrain

While driving Briley Parkway today and passing the Two Rivers exit, it was really good to see a large crane across the river in Shelby Bottoms. Lots of plants and animals, but no development in site....except this big ol' crane. Nice. They're finally getting started on that beautiful 700-ft long pedestrian bridge to connect the Shelby Bottoms Greenway to the Stones River leg via the under-the-8-lane tunnel. Very cool. About a 12-month project, I believe. I've been waiting for this, it'll be a stunner to see whether driving the parkway, cruising the river, or walking the greenway. I'm so glad it'll be so visible from Briley. I'll see if I can scare up a pic. I've seen one, but just don't recall when or where.

These are on the block that sets behind the Country Music Hall of Fame.

I drove by this yesterday on my way home and they're clearing a huge tract behind the CMHOF running the entire block between 4th and 5th Aves. When combined with that enormous surface lot behind the GEC it makes for a vast expanse of nothing... but it looks very ripe for something. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe this project has been posted before.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...SINESS/61201018

This is a great location but those pricepoints are UNBELIEVABLE!!

You are correct , these have not been posted before and this is the first I have heard of them. Many times we have a notion of what is going to happen before hand. There are 5 or 6 smaller projects going up in that area now and I have no idea who is doing most of them.

Seems as if anyone with land and some money are building condos. I would expect that area to continue to add developments in the future. Nothing is stopping anyone from tearing down what few houses that are left in West End Park.

I use to think a million dollars was a lot until I have seen so many selling for that. More than I would ever want to pay.

I don't believe this project has been posted before.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...SINESS/61201018

This is a great location but those pricepoints are UNBELIEVABLE!!

Yeah. I was amazed when the price point starting reaching $300 / Sq Ft. Now, projects like this one are priced at $400 / Sq Ft. Unbelievable.

Seems as if anyone with land and some money are building condos. I would expect that area to continue to add developments in the future. Nothing is stopping anyone from tearing down what few houses that are left in West End Park.

Yep, the problem as noted on this forum before is that many of them are not of very high quality. Unfortunately, they're selling remarkably well.

The Tennessean has a full article up and rendering on this new "Artesia" project. The rendering doesn't look awful, but it doesn't really inspire me either, esp. with the price-point they are asking...

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS01/612020318

Is that some rumblings of preservation that I hear ? ;) Sounds like that area needs a conservation/preservation overlay to me...

Edited by frankliner

Is that some rumblings of preservation that I hear ? ;) Sounds like that area needs a conservation/preservation overlay to me...

You bring up a good point. There should be an eye to preservation in West End. Some of the houses in that neighborhood are priceless works that should be protected at all cost.

Another thing, with all the residential developments happening, when will we see commercial develoments happen to compliment the residential in West End?

Another thing, with all the residential developments happening, when will we see commercial develoments happen to compliment the residential in West End?

I for one think the commercial is not far off. It's a slightly touchy subject for me because my family owns Scarlett Begonia, a retail store on West End (between Cumberland Transit and You Greek, Me Greek). My parents have been in business for 25 years and with the rent as outrageous as it is now, it's hard to imagine that a lot of the current businesses will be able to last. A great example is just down the street where Vandyland was. I think in short time, this will be redeveloped into commercial space.

On the same block as my parent's store sits an empty space right now. It used to be "Wild Animals" and then turned into a nail place which recently closed. That block does have two different landlords, but you can never rule out the future of needing to maybe get a fresh start with the development right along there. The problem will always be parking though!

On another note, there is all the space where Tower Records is closing. And then there is the Fuddrucker's site which I haven't heard anything about. All of these could be prime commercial development sites. Just some thoughts...

Edited by jcoop

I found the website for The Artesia:

http://www.artesianashville.com/index.php

I was reading, and yes, that is a rooftop terrace; not a chia-pet roof or the like. It's a shame that with all the residential development going in West End/ Centennial Park that the City didn't require at least some of them to have street level retail like they do closer into DT.

On the same block as my parent's store sits an empty space right now. It used to be "Wild Animals" and then turned into a nail place which recently closed. That block does have two different landlords, but you can never rule out the future of needing to maybe get a fresh start with the development right along there. The problem will always be parking though!

On another note, there is all the space where Tower Records is closing. And then there is the Fuddrucker's site which I haven't heard anything about. All of these could be prime commercial development sites. Just some thoughts...

I remember your family's store from my days at VU. I must admit that I never went in there... I really didn't have a lot of money, and most of my spare change went toward an amber liquid. Your family doesn't sell beer or gas, do they? LOL

I was up there last week and saw the buildings along West End, and of course, the strip mall with office above it at 2525 West End. I personally think it's disgraceful what Vandy has done to the property it controls around the campus. When they're not putting up car-centered claptrap like 2525, they're putting up temporary junk like that strip across from the old main entrance and the Carmichael Towers near Louise Ave. The nasty looking parking structure with minimal retail that replaced Wesley Hall on 21st is another example of what Vandy does so poorly. OK, my rant is over (for now). :)

I remember your family's store from my days at VU. I must admit that I never went in there... I really didn't have a lot of money, and most of my spare change went toward an amber liquid. Your family doesn't sell beer or gas, do they? LOL

I was up there last week and saw the buildings along West End, and of course, the strip mall with office above it at 2525 West End. I personally think it's disgraceful what Vandy has done to the property it controls around the campus. When they're not putting up car-centered claptrap like 2525, they're putting up temporary junk like that strip across from the old main entrance and the Carmichael Towers near Louise Ave. The nasty looking parking structure with minimal retail that replaced Wesley Hall on 21st is another example of what Vandy does so poorly. OK, my rant is over (for now). :)

What is particulaly troublesome about the West End developments, is how it all came about. I know Vanderbilt was given the power of immanent domain to allow it to acquire property around it for future growth. They used it on Vanderbilt Place to acquire my Aunt's former home and level it to the ground for a parking lot. And they aquired my Grand Father's old home on 31st where they apparently lease it to students for housing. (It breaks my heart to see how they have run it down).

But a number of thriving businesses along West End were apparently acquired, then leases were sold to allow development of the 2525 and the Marriot, I think. If so, that is a travesty. That would not be an appropriate useage of such powers.

MidTown072.jpg

Perhaps someone knows more about this, but right now it's difficult for me to be complementary of Vanderbilt's growth!

Edited by PHofKS

Haha, I love 2525...it's one of my favorite parts of Nashville, the only way I would like it more was if it didn't have the parking lot in front of it seperating it from the street front.

To its credit, there is some fine retail in the first two floors of the 14 story 2525 that would serve a walkup neighborhood clientle, including Borders wonderful bookstore and a men's clothing store (a downtown/midtown rarity to be sure). And there is the Chinese Restaurant also, so the building works well.

If I had to move to Nashville, I think I would get one of the condo's being built around 31st and West End. For example:

we11.jpg

Within a short walk you not only have the aforementioned 2525 and its retail, you have a Grocery store, drug stores, Centennial Park, many, many great restaurants and other varied retail. You are also close to the State's second largest employer, Vanderbilt University. Who would need a car?

I tell you, Mid Town/West End is hot, hot, hot. They are not only getting a few high profile projects, but it is filling in with the bricabrac of urban life; the assortment of attractions and necessities that make urban life what it is.

There will be plenty more development occurring in this part of town.

Edited by PHofKS