Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I took this photo over the weekend. Do you think the gap between Batman and Pinnacle will ever be filled? I understand Broadway separates the two (and there may be some building restrictions because of this), but it would be great to connect the two halves of downtown's skyline.

lKMmwi6.jpg

2 hours ago, Philip said:

The convention center and Cambria will probably fill it in from certain angles, Westin and Turnberry too for that matter. Directly in between the two probably won't happen though.

The possible lot is the one directly in front of the Schermerhorn on the 4th Avenue side of the Hilton. That lot is directly in the middle of the two (ATT and Pinnacle) and only a couple of hundred feet if that from Broadway. I have heard rumors of a 30-50 story residential tower going there if the Schermerhorn does not buy the lot to expand their patio/portico area north. This surface lot always has a temporary building on it for the CMA Music Fest.

• Like 3

TBT: South side, mid-1930s. Reservoir Park in the foreground, 8th Avenue running northward dissecting the center right, Fall School (now Church of Scientology) in center right, Ft. Negley at far right center, Rose Park under construction in left center. Interstate highways were still about a quarter century in the future.

Southside 1930.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Was watching News 2 this morning around 6 and their live cams were showing an incredible sunrise through the rain...with a rainbow over the city.  I tried to get shots off of the Westin and Skyhouse webcams...but just got some pretty color.  You can spot a little of the rainbow to the right of the Westin.  Look at the intense orange glow to the right of Skyhouse.  Wish the camera was panned to the right.

SkyHouse_Nashville-20160303-061950-2.jpg

The_Westin_-_100_Clark_Place-20160303-062125.jpg

The_Westin_-_100_Clark_Place-20160303-060718.jpg

Can you post a link to these sky cams? 

• Like 2

It really was an epic sunrise.  One of the most beautiful I've ever seen.  They kept showing live shots that would take my breath away.  With the foggy, rainy look adding diffusion to the bright orange and pink sky, it was pretty surreal.  Then...to add the rainbow over the city, it was like a wonderland.

16 hours ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

Wow Paramount747, you sure take the negative position every time I read anything.  Sorry you are so unhappy.  

How is commenting we have a small skyline negative? How does that make me unhappy? You don't know me very well at all. In fact we have never met so that statement is actually quite unfair. I will be at the forum meet tomorrow, so when you get there we can chat. In any case, we are a nice quaint small southern city. There is nothing wrong with that. If your expectations are for more than that, than your expectations are too high.

I have spent time in London, Edinburgh, Toronto, L.A, Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, Atlanta and other large cities. I in no way expect Nashville to ever be those cities, however; I do expect Nashville to embrace a very high standard of architecture and design.

St. Andrews Scottland is a perfect example. When I was there a few years ago, the city was impeccably clean, and although there were no buildings above 8 stories, the skyline was dense, and has amazing architecture. That is what we should be striving for. 

When I say skyline, I do not necessarily mean height. If you knew my real feeling about the city, you would realize that I mourn the fact Nashville has lost 100's of vintage buildings and missed out on some real opportunities for density and infill.

The skyline, if done correctly could,  contain 100's of buildings in the 5-15 story range and appear to be huge if the right density is achieved. So when I lamented about our tiny skyline, that has MORE TO DO WITH DENSITY than height.

I will see you tomorrow. When we meet you will see that I am not negative and unhappy. As a designer, artist, musician, and writer I am very particular when it comes to design, architecture, presentation, materials, and appearance. I don't like junk architecture, so I am critical.

So what does all of this mean?

Visitors to our city find out WHO WE ARE AS A CITY by our architecture. They see our culture. They see our soul. If our soul is full of junk design and architecture,  than we are junk. We have no soul! Did I see that in Europe? No! I want our visitors to have a visceral experience when here. That is why I am so passionate, or as you say negative and unhappy.

Be sure to introduce yourself tomorrow. I look forward to meeting you.

Edited by Paramount747

1 hour ago, Paramount747 said:

Visitors to our city find out WHO WE ARE AS A CITY by our architecture. They see our culture. They see our soul. If our soul is full of junk design and architecture,  than we are junk. We have no soul! Did I see that in Europe? No! I want our visitors to have a visceral experience when here. That is why I am so passionate, or as you say negative and unhappy.

What are you talking about? Visitors like Nashville when they see it. Where are these delusions coming from? The Nashville forum really seems to have people that have internal issues.

"I want our visitors to have a visceral experience when here."

Ok. So what specifically are you doing to ensure that. Complaining daily about Nashville?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

How is commenting we have a small skyline negative? How does that make me unhappy? You don't know me very well at all. In fact we have never met so that statement is actually quite unfair. I will be at the forum meet tomorrow, so when you get there we can chat. In any case, we are a nice quaint small southern city. There is nothing wrong with that. If your expectations are for more than that, than your expectations are too high.

I have spent time in London, Edinburgh, Toronto, L.A, Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, Atlanta and other large cities. I in no way expect Nashville to ever be those cities, however; I do expect Nashville to embrace a very high standard of architecture and design.

St. Andrews Scottland is a perfect example. When I was there a few years ago, the city was impeccably clean, and although there were no buildings above 8 stories, the skyline was dense, and has amazing architecture. That is what we should be striving for. 

When I say skyline, I do not necessarily mean height. If you knew my real feeling about the city, you would realize that I mourn the fact Nashville has lost 100's of vintage buildings and missed out on some real opportunities for density and infill.

The skyline, if done correctly could,  contain 100's of buildings in the 5-15 story range and appear to be huge if the right density is achieved. So when I lamented about our tiny skyline, that has MORE TO DO WITH DENSITY than height.

I will see you tomorrow. When we meet you will see that I am not negative and unhappy. As a designer, artist, musician, and writer I am very particular when it comes to design, architecture, presentation, materials, and appearance. I don't like junk architecture, so I am critical.

So what does all of this mean?

Be sure to introduce yourself tomorrow. I look forward to meeting you.

Honestly glad to know you are happy.  I would be glad to meet you sometime, but don't come to the forums.  Maybe you don't think you come off negative, but it does seem that often.  I only look at this to get information and while I certainly respect different opinions and everyone is entitled to them, I really don't come here for that and, again, am only wanting to keep up with information.  I would love for us to have a more European look and respect for the past, but comparing anywhere in the US to Europe is not a fair comparison.  I've been all over Europe and love the architecture but other than some places on the East Coast, our cities are heavily built by developers whose interest for the most part is making money.  Sad but true.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

Honestly glad to know you are happy.  I would be glad to meet you sometime, but don't come to the forums.  Maybe you don't think you come off negative, but it does seem that often.  I only look at this to get information and while I certainly respect different opinions and everyone is entitled to them, I really don't come here for that and, again, am only wanting to keep up with information.  I would love for us to have a more European look and respect for the past, but comparing anywhere in the US to Europe is not a fair comparison.  I've been all over Europe and love the architecture but other than some places on the East Coast, our cities are heavily built by developers whose interest for the most part is making money.  Sad but true.

Yes, many developers are only interested in making money. That is the American way unfortunately. I hope to go to Paris this fall to experience the architecture and street life there. 

The USA needs to be more like Europe. Our culture is skewed to one of consumerism rather than conservationism. If we adapted the European model of architecture and design, we have structures built to last a lifetime, rather than structures that are torn down every 20 years or so.