Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

TBT: Downtown around 1976.  You can see the foundation work being done on the James K. Polk Building and TPAC. Land is cleared and ready for Bank of America/Doubletree Hotel block.  The old Sam Davis and Andrew Jackson Hotels were still standing, as were the two Cain Sloan Dept. Store and Sudekum (Tennessee Theater) buildings. All the development that has happened in the Bicentennial Mall and North Capitol area is a distant vision in the future at this point. 

Downtown 1979.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Downtown around 1976.  You can see the foundation work being done on the James K. Polk Building and TPAC. Land is cleared and ready for Bank of America/Doubletree Hotel block.  The old Sam Davis and Andrew Jackson Hotels were still standing, as were the two Cain Sloan Dept. Store and Sudekum (Tennessee Theater) buildings. All the development that has happened in the Bicentennial Mall and North Capitol area is a distant vision in the future at this point. 

Downtown 1979.jpg

I think the greatest losses as shown by this photo were the neo-classical and art-deco National Life buildings. What a shame that those things went down for a silly parking lot.  That happened before I ever got to Nashville, but when I saw that stupid marble wall around their open parking lot, I asked if that was where a twin tower was supposed to go. And the answer floored me.  Then I looked up to see what they looked like.  Furthermore, the older one would be a site of significant local and national history as it was where the Grand Ole Opry originated.  Shame! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think the greatest losses as shown by this photo were the neo-classical and art-deco National Life buildings. What a shame that those things went down for a silly parking lot.  That happened before I ever got to Nashville, but when I saw that stupid marble wall around their open parking lot, I asked if that was where a twin tower was supposed to go. And the answer floored me.  Then I looked up to see what they looked like.  Furthermore, the older one would be a site of significant local and national history as it was where the Grand Ole Opry originated.  Shame! 

Hmmm...I'm not sure I want to know the answer, but I don't think I know anything about this story...do you mind expounding a little bit on it?  

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Those buildings adjacent to the now-Snodgrass Tower were still there when I was a kid. You could see them diagonally across from through the old library's main floor windows. That was a fully urban and dense block and they cleared the whole thing in the early '80s. Sickening was the word that came to mind. It transformed a block with the new and old that complimented each other into a pseudo-suburban/dystopian windswept mega-plaza, fully divorced from its neighbors. That block has never been the same since. :(

• Like 3