Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

This quarter's Vandy alum magazine has a cover feature on the campus plan for the future. Article shows progression of campus growth since the first (1902) plan through seven maps.  What is striking is just how crowded the campus currently is, but the article notes that future buildings will need to allow increased density. The future of Carmichael Towers was briefly mentioned with nothing specific about what will become of the site.  It would need to be dormitories of a lower, wider and more dense nature. Three points mentioned: The new plan should reflect the separation of the Medical Center (campus) from the University's; Nashville's booming real estate (creates a "jump now" urgency); and the interdisciplinary Academic Strategic Plan. Given that, I expect that the administration will announce a mixed use complex similar to Buckingham's on their land across 21st (at B'way) because it does not fit the Academic Strategic plan.  I would expect them to see how the Buckingham project wraps up to determine the size and scope of their future plans at that site.  I would expect office and residential, as opposed to the hotel/retail/residential at the Buckingham project. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

This quarter's Vandy alum magazine has a cover feature on the campus plan for the future. Article shows progression of campus growth since the first (1902) plan through seven maps.  What is striking is just how crowded the campus currently is, but the article notes that future buildings will need to allow increased density. The future of Carmichael Towers was briefly mentioned with nothing specific about what will become of the site.  It would need to be dormitories of a lower, wider and more dense nature. Three points mentioned: The new plan should reflect the separation of the Medical Center (campus) from the University's; Nashville's booming real estate (creates a "jump now" urgency); and the interdisciplinary Academic Strategic Plan. Given that, I expect that the administration will announce a mixed use complex similar to Buckingham's on their land across 21st (at B'way) because it does not fit the Academic Strategic plan.  I would expect them to see how the Buckingham project wraps up to determine the size and scope of their future plans at that site.  I would expect office and residential, as opposed to the hotel/retail/residential at the Buckingham project. 

So you think Vnady'll build the parking lot across from B'ham? I guess a parking garage would be included, or they would have to tell whoever parks there to buzz off.

21 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:
On 3/9/2016 at 5:50 AM, markhollin said:

Parking is sure to be included at this site. And apologies to Mark Hollin... because I could not delete a previous attempt to post a reply to one of his posts. This is MLBrumby. 

That's happened to me too, I just gave up trying to delete or post.

The land across from Buckingham is on the radar of Vanderbilt for sure. It is part of the campus land use plan that I have seen. There is a lot of construction planned, but no date or building type has been approved. The do want a lot of green space included.

With every plan, it is subject to change.

• Like 3

ok, the last 7 posts reflect the "why preservation matters" side of development.    I know it's fun for some on this board to use words like "Hysterical Commission" and poke fun at those who advocate the preservation and reuse of historic buildings, but once they're gone, they're gone, and often what takes their place is not worthy of what was lost.     

• Like 2

9 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

This grand old treasure remains. Imagine the beautiful blocks of these that we lost. It is sickening!

image.jpeg

Savage House is technically the last townhouse in the CBD. You'll note the mansion by the Capitol is Second Empire, and those are ALL gone. Down Second Avenue below the interstate near my old school (Johnson Middle), you can find this restored beauty, one of too few Second Empires left in the city:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.144148,-86.76367,3a,66.8y,65.25h,96.8t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szBc-ys37-86BcgtQYDy4gg!2e0?hl=en

• Like 4