Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, Canuck87 said:

I bet the ever-increasing value of the property where PSC is located will be the factor that forces its relocation. As I recall, more than half the property where the scrapyard sits is leased, and the rent is based upon the appraised value of the property. The last couple times rent was adjusted, it was very contentious, which led to lawsuits being filed.

I remember one mayoral candidate mentioning the possibility of rezoning that property to mixed use in order to inflate the property value even more, as an alternative to eminent domain. At the end of the day, Carl Icahn is an investor, and like all investors, he's looking for a return on his investments. If rents and property taxes increase to the point that they cut into PSC's profitability, relocation is inevitable. 

That has been my question, what was the outcome of the lawsuit? I know the owners wanted to raise the rent to market value of a mixed-use development and, of course, that led to the lawsuit. But I never heard the outcome

PSC will remain as long as it is profitable. If the rent were to become too high  .......:whistling:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LA_TN said:

That has been my question, what was the outcome of the lawsuit? I know the owners wanted to raise the rent to market value of a mixed-use development and, of course, that led to the lawsuit. But I never heard the outcome

PSC will remain as long as it is profitable. If the rent were to become too high  .......:whistling:

Here, I found a nice relocation site. Direct access to river, rail, and interstate (Briley):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36°12'17.6"N+86°52'31.6"W/@36.204879,-86.8772328,768m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.204879!4d-86.87544

Seems this wouldn't be too difficult if the relevant parties had the will to get it done.

Yes, and if you're asking, that site is literally a dump. However, could be an interesting adaptive reuse site considering it's already a brownfield. Also, I imagine that the pooled areas near the river could be part of a land reclamation project. Maybe too expensive.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LA_TN said:

PSC is not profitable. I said this last year and it is true again this year. They only lost 11 million dollars through 9/30/16 as compared to 27 million as of 9/30/15.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/813762/000081376216000095/a10q-93016.htm

This data will be updated soon for full year 2016 numbers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Looking east along Demonbreun Street from what is now Musica Circle, 1983

Demonbreun 1983 b X.jpg

Dang!  It would have been great to have royalty rights for the barn facade motif in Nashville circa 1980. Must have been a huge draw for the tourists back then. Sort of like Brian Regan said about balloons on cars.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Canuck87 said:

I bet the ever-increasing value of the property where PSC is located will be the factor that forces its relocation. As I recall, more than half the property where the scrapyard sits is leased, and the rent is based upon the appraised value of the property. The last couple times rent was adjusted, it was very contentious, which led to lawsuits being filed.

I remember one mayoral candidate mentioning the possibility of rezoning that property to mixed use in order to inflate the property value even more, as an alternative to eminent domain. At the end of the day, Carl Icahn is an investor, and like all investors, he's looking for a return on his investments. If rents and property taxes increase to the point that they cut into PSC's profitability, relocation is inevitable. 

You've hit the nail on the head. Yes, eminent domain is often a necessary evil in urban planning,  but if Metro seized land solely for redevelopment, who's to say a third party developer with deep pockets couldn't "encourage" Metro to seize it. This is one reason private property rights are an integral part of any free and functioning form of government. It fights corruption.

Now, rezoning in order to encourage them to leave. That's fair imo.

Edited by claya91
Spelling
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Looking east along Demonbreun Street from what is now Musica Circle, 1983

Demonbreun 1983 b X.jpg

I am *SO* glad that stretch no longer looks like that.  I mean, I'm all for unique architecture, but there is a very fine line between 'quirky/eclectic' and 'cheesy/tacky,' and this stuff definitely falls heavily toward the 'tacky' end of the spectrum for me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I am *SO* glad that stretch no longer looks like that.  I mean, I'm all for unique architecture, but there is a very fine line between 'quirky/eclectic' and 'cheesy/tacky,' and this stuff definitely falls heavily toward the 'tacky' end of the spectrum for me.

The ole Music Row strip was strictly for the tourists of yore (or at least set up to try to lure them away from Opryland). They'd pop over to the tiny Country Music Hall of Fame, see some of the tackies along the row, Elvis's old car, etc., take some pics and drop in at Barbara Mandrell's One-Hour Photo to see the results of their Music City sojourn. Ah, those were the days. ^_^

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rookzie said:

Much of the "Blue Hues" in those photos reportedly were displayed in honor of the recent fallen MNPD fallen officer who drowned

Thank you - didn't know that. Tragic story. Just now reading about the woman they were trying to help. Pretty hard to fathom how she was able to continue driving - given her record. Incomprehensible and tragic.

• Like 1