Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

10 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

I don't even know where to begin addressing that level of stupidity.

Some people really can't comprehend what's going on around them. I heard someone complaining of "all the condo towers going up" downtown. I asked which ones....

"Well that one is a hotel. That's one's an office building. Another hotel. Another hotel. Another office. Oh, yeah, that one is apartments...."

"Condo" has become a new buzzword used by people against downtown development, its usage reminds me of the way that a lot of people call all soda "coke". I suppose because it sounds a bit fancier than "apartments" and it adds a bit of a negative connotation for some people. Regardless, it's a pretty ignorant view of what is currently happening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henburg said:

"Condo" has become a new buzzword used by people against downtown development, its usage reminds me of the way that a lot of people call all soda "coke". I suppose because it sounds a bit fancier than "apartments" and it adds a bit of a negative connotation for some people. Regardless, it's a pretty ignorant view of what is currently happening. 

Yes, "Ignnant" and "IdJit" might be more appropriate.  I've even heard a few of 'em refer to them as "condimoniums", from merely not even knowing the correct form of pronunciation and spelling, just as bad as some who refer to the monolithic catalyst used in automotive combustion emission control as a "Cadillac Converter"....

I have had to bite my cheek and say to myself, "What did I just hear?":huh:

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

What gets me is that most of these ignorant people probably don't even live downtown, or near it for that matter. One post on the I Remember Nashville When page on Facebook had a post featuring the L&C tower and how it was the sole skyscraper in Nashville and that everything built after is just crap and it's being hidden by every new building. I know many will disagree with me for what I'm about to say, but I don't think the L&C tower is appealing in any shape or fashion. Yes I like mid century design, but to me it's an ugly building. It looks so dirty (and yes I know the limestone causes that) and like something out of the Soviet Union.  Sorry guys just not my thing. To each his own I suppose. Still, some of the people in Nashville act like it's the Empire State Building or something. Just my two cents, so please be gentle lol.

Edited by TNinVB
  • Like 2

Please remember that when the Opry moved to Opryland, the area around the Ryman was sprinkled by numerous XXX rated bookstores and peep shows. After dark you were more likely to see winos, perverts, and hookers than beer swigging bros and bachelorette parties on "Lower Broad!" You can't always judge past decisions by the circumstances of today's  social and economic standards. Thank God the Ryman survived that brush with the wrecking ball.

• Like 3

These kinds of people are everywhere. I knew a couple from Miami, born and raised there, that hated growth. I also knew a guy from Detroit that hated growth. And the owners of the auditing company I work for in South Carolina hate growth. They are millionaires and live in a camper on a camp ground, no joke. Not surprising, they were/are all racist too, lol.

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I can assure you that is not uncommon, even today.   When I-440 was being proposed, I remember a person who lived in Green Hills, stood up at a protest meeting and stated that I-440 would increase the number of people from North Nashville coming into their communities and stealing because it would give them a direct route.  

Wasn't the even more recent example of this an outcry from the neighborhoods near and off West End about the 28th/31st Ave connector getting built? Or did I dream that? Nearly 30 years and nothing different. But just as unfortunate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It may be unfair but it is a reality.  As an African American man I've actually had white people say to me that "I remember when this part of town was all white but as the city grew African Americans moved in and changed the neighborhood (they weren't implying necessarily for the better....)."  I can assure you that is not uncommon, even today.   When I-440 was being proposed, I remember a person who lived in Green Hills, stood up at a protest meeting and stated that I-440 would increase the number of people from North Nashville coming into their communities and stealing because it would give them a direct route.  Most people know that when people refer to "North Nashville" they are typically referring to the demographic being majority African American.  It's similar to the when MARTA in Atlanta was being expanded due to growth, there was much opposition in part because people were afraid Blacks and other ethnic minority groups would then move into their communities and/or use the MARTA to come into their neighborhoods and steal.  I also worked with white people who had no problem telling me that they moved from Nashville to Springfield, Hendersonville, Goodlettsville, etc. because the cities (Nashville's) growth was bringing in too many other types of people that were changing their neighborhoods.  That was back in the 80's and 90's when Nashville was experiencing small spurts of growth.  The most recent example of a such a statement came during a happy hour conversation on gentrification I was having with a few friends, when this white guy injected himself into the conversation and stated that he lives in a rural part of Maryland and he's hoping the growth in the DC metropolitan area would slow down or stop because all the young white millennials moving into DC are pushing all the DC Blacks out to the country."  

I also believe that most people don't recognize that the word urban refers to a major metropolitan city that typically drives a geographical region.  With the onset of various fashion styles, music styles, interior design styles, etc., we have begun using the word urban to reflect a cultural style.  We now hear phrases and terms like urban radio or that something has an urban vibe, etc.  It's also important to acknowledge that cultural phrases like Black Music, Soul Food, Black Art, and more are all equated with urban by so many people.  Sirius-XM even has a station that is called The Urban View, which targets primarily an African American Audience.  

So, in my opinion it can be pretty easy for someone who is racist to link his dislike for African Americans and other ethnic minorities to urban growth.

The question here is whether it is "racist" to point out the realities of certain demographic changes and what accompanies it. I think it's more egregious to stay silent when the issues are brought up, so as not to appear "racist", rather than speaking up and acknowledging what's going on and having a frank discussion. This is probably already too "political" a discussion for our little group.

You make some very good points, pillow. I do agree with fieldmarshal though on the fact that a lot of times the desire to keep away from crime is equated with the desire to live away from blacks and hispanics. For instance, my wife and I are currently house-hunting, and are looking at many areas that have either black majorities or large black minorities - places like Antioch, Madison, and Old Hickory. We're completely happy to live in those areas because they have relatively low crime and are wonderful places to bring up a family. However, we looked at a house maybe 100 yards from the Napier projects, and there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd move my family there, and it's not because of black people living in the area. 

Sorry for continuing the off-topic digression, everyone! 

• Like 1