Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

51 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

The biggest problem I have seen is that Metro does not replace trees as they die or get too old. I am fine with the look of 2nd Ave. We need more streets like this.

Totally agree we need to pay more attention to our urban forest.     Healthy street trees add a lot to the aesthetic charm of a place.  

Metro Public Works, to give them some credit, is getting better about maintaining street trees in the downtown core.        Public Works for many years planted Pin Oaks, which are considered good street trees in many places, but for reasons probably having to do with high soil ph levels, have not worked well in our downtown.     Most of the oaks died and the ones that remain are not healthy.     Public works is now planting a different mix of trees downtown, like Zelkovas, Sweet Gum, Gingko and the newer disease-resistant elm varieties, like Princeton Elm and Chinese Elm.      Chinese Elms are fast growing with interesting mottled bark - they are what you see lining 2nd Ave.      

Developers, however, often have no clue and I still see pin oaks being planted as sidewalk trees around all these new apartment complexes.    Unfortunately, those trees will all be dead in 3-4 years, but the developers will be long gone.     

• Like 4

I wish the city would trim those trees on 2nd Ave-you can hardly see the buildings to appreciate the architecture plus I'm a little worried about fire hazard-if lightning struck one of those trees and fire managed to spread to any of those buildings it could set off a chain reaction like the one that destroyed the buildings between Church Street and Bank Street in the mid 1980's.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Looking more and more like a big city.

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 12.01.16 AM.png

Wow, nice pic. Just the embassy suites and 5+Broad towers, not counting the projected and halted projects like SAP, will help flesh out the skyline even more. Plus the Endeavor and Hyatt Regency helping to bridge the gap between the CBD and midtown. 

• Like 3

I hope no one thought I was against having trees downtown.  I'm all for greenery and beauty to augment architecture and provide a respite from hardened corridors. I was just pointing out that the trees along 2nd Ave. are growing larger and broader in a way that was probably not originally intended. Eventually, something will need to be done to restrict further growth as they climb taller, completely canopy streets, roots push up sidewalks, etc.  

• Like 3