Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I figured this would be the best place to report a rather unusual crane sighting. I was driving 'the back way' through my neighborhood, Hope Gardens, when I looked up and saw this gigantic piece of crane laying along Herman Street. My questions are: WTF? How did it get there, all in one piece like that? Where did it come from? The next morning, the crane had been disassembled and loaded onto trucks.

img_9771e.jpg

I figured this would be the best place to report a rather unusual crane sighting. I was driving 'the back way' through my neighborhood, Hope Gardens, when I looked up and saw this gigantic piece of crane laying along Herman Street. My questions are: WTF? How did it get there, all in one piece like that? Where did it come from? The next morning, the crane had been disassembled and loaded onto trucks.

img_9771e.jpg

These cranes are assembled onsite. I have seen these cranes used to install roof top mechanical units, especially cooling towers. We had to put together one similar to the one in the pic in order to install three cooloing towers on the roof of the Richmond Federal Courthouse (VA). The only difference was ours was blue.

Edited by Shakman

img_9771e.jpg

I came home and saw this - they were probably installing new a/c units on top of the Goodwill Outlet.. we've seen these cranes a couple of times over the years and that's what they were doing.. I tried to get up in time to see what was going on and lo and behold, they were already finished with the job and tearing the crane down..

David

I would bet on the convention center hotel(s), since it is about the most probable project right now. Would they need any cranes for the actual convention center?

I still say the Lionstone Project office portion since they are over 60% leased.

As far as the CC and cranes, I would say multiple cranes at the site to build this one, plus at least two for the hotel or hotels. I would also say you will hear of many more projects announced in the area after the CC starts. There will probably be a half dozen smaller hotels go in the fringe area to accommodate overflow from the CC hotel, not to mention rest, and shopping.

Okay, hope I am not being to much of a bother here, but, just out of curiousity, would the cranes at the convention center be mobile cranes, or nice static cranes? I am not even sure of the terminology of cranes.

Once the convention center and other projects get started, it will truly be a sight if there are as many cranes as predicted!

I still say the Lionstone Project office portion since they are over 60% leased.

As far as the CC and cranes, I would say multiple cranes at the site to build this one, plus at least two for the hotel or hotels. I would also say you will hear of many more projects announced in the area after the CC starts. There will probably be a half dozen smaller hotels go in the fringe area to accommodate overflow from the CC hotel, not to mention rest, and shopping.

what a beautiful thought!

eric b

Okay, hope I am not being to much of a bother here, but, just out of curiousity, would the cranes at the convention center be mobile cranes, or nice static cranes? I am not even sure of the terminology of cranes.

Once the convention center and other projects get started, it will truly be a sight if there are as many cranes as predicted!

I would bet there will be a combination of cranes. Definitely tower cranes for the CC hotel portion. As far as the rest, its any ones guess, and you are not a bother. These are good questions. I just might not get back to answering questions for a week the way thing are going with my schedule. :P

Friends,

What about a crane for the Rolling Mill Hill building for which there is now a massive hole? Not sure about the name (is it The District?) or the number of stories (at least six). But I could envision a crane rising within four months. Beyond that...hard to say. There is no other "tall building project" for which actual site work has started. And I'm not counting WES, since its fate is undetermined. There might be a crane for 1700Midtown. It's five stories.

ESU/WW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...