Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

• 1 month later...

St. Thomas was issued a permit to build a conference center.

St. Thomas to build conference space

Conference center. Value: $544,000. Turner Universal Construction Co. took out a permit to renovate the first floor of the S&E building on the campus of St. Thomas Hospital for the Lester Williams Conference Center.

I thought I would revive this thread with some projects I found while cruising the TN's website. Just cause the economy is dead doesn't mean Nashville isn't! However, I do think we will see a significant slow down on new projects.

Emdeon Business Services is consolidating at the Donelson Corporate Centre. This seems to be a hot part of town. Anyone who lives in that area might want to update us on all the recent activity.

Business services company expands in Donelson

Good article on the Watkins College of Art, Design, and Film. They just recently opened its second residence hall, and they are looking to bump enrollment from 400 to 500.

Watkins looks to grow

I haven't heard of this one yet. A small new building has gone up in Belle Meade.

Building goes up on narrow lot across street from Galleria

Article on the market transitioning from condos to apartments. Several of us have been calling for more rentals in the downtown area and predicting this will be the new trend, but I think prices are still a little steep. The article mentions 800 Main in East Nashville, 1700 Midtown, Vista Germantown, and 4th & Jefferson.

As condo passion cools, rentals move in on downtown market

Edited by timmay143

Looks like Wilson County has a tenant for one of its large warehouse distribution centers going up in that county.

Leviton to open Lebanon center

I especially like this quote...

Leviton is the latest company to list the Nashville area's central location among reasons for locating or expanding operations here.

This just bolsters my belief that Nashville is a regional area and not just a city and/or county.

Once again the Donelson/Airport area is on fire. Not literally :P , but with new growth and company centers.

New Piedmont operations center targets February construction start

even though this is relocating from Metrocenter

Piedmont spokesman David Trusty cited a more central location, interstate access and the opportunity to build an environmentally efficient building as reasons for the move.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ventured into Nashville to hopefully get some evening photographs. I used film and it did not turn out well at all so I went back on Saturday night with a camcorder and extracted still images from the video. Those turned out better. I put them in a photo set on Flickr if you care to see them. Just click on any of the thumbnails that you wish to see and it will enlarge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fallingwater1...57611782889720/

I also took many of the photographs and made a video which was placed on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stfqVopCXs...re=channel_page

Generally, I would stay away from presenting or featuring that side of Nashville which is mostly tourist as I think Nashville has much more to offer that is not part of the traditional outside perception but it was night and Lower Broad still has the most action.

I actually approached from the West down West End Avenue and I could not believe how little traffic there was for a Friday night (6:00 O'Clock PM). Saturday evening was the same. Where is everybody? Why have most of the floodlights on the Parthenon been turned off? The Parthenon was dim as were most of the buildings downtown. 4th, 5th Avenues, Commerce and Union Streets, Legislative Plaza; They were all desolate. Has the expansion south of downtown drained those areas of pedestrians? It was weird.

I ventured into Nashville to hopefully get some evening photographs. I used film and it did not turn out well at all so I went back on Saturday night with a camcorder and extracted still images from the video. Those turned out better. I put them in a photo set on Flickr if you care to see them. Just click on any of the thumbnails that you wish to see and it will enlarge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fallingwater1...57611782889720/

I also took many of the photographs and made a video which was placed on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stfqVopCXs...re=channel_page

Generally, I would stay away from presenting or featuring that side of Nashville which is mostly tourist as I think Nashville has much more to offer that is not part of the traditional outside perception but it was night and Lower Broad still has the most action.

I actually approached from the West down West End Avenue and I could not believe how little traffic there was for a Friday night (6:00 O'Clock PM). Saturday evening was the same. Where is everybody? Why have most of the floodlights on the Parthenon been turned off? The Parthenon was dim as were most of the buildings downtown. 4th, 5th Avenues, Commerce and Union Streets, Legislative Plaza; They were all desolate. Has the expansion south of downtown drained those areas of pedestrians? It was weird.

I will include a few photos here as the entire set has over 50 photographs. Hope you like.

3142874991_5951581e66_o.jpg

3142875135_a8bf577f89_o.jpg

3143704082_e7e1564c58_o.jpg

3143704562_e8153315bc_o.jpg

3142393420_e8e43000c4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't heard much on this project. Does anyone know if it is just a regular ol' apartment building or if it fits in with this area of town?

Permit issued for East Nashville apartments

The following permits were among those issued Friday by the Metro Codes Administration:

Apartments. Value: $7.4 million. Southland Constructors LLC took out permits to build the six-building, 90-unit East River Place complex at the corner of Ramsey Street and North Eighth Street.

• 1 month later...

Just because things seem a little bleak around the forums these days, I thought that I'd dump some old photos. Nothing too spectacular, just trying to focus on some the overlooked areas and buildings, both good and not so good, sort of an opportunity to reflect on the good and bad of the past and present. I took some photos of a couple of buildings that are usually seen fro a car window rather than on foot. Also, wanted to bring some attention to the meager retail offerings in downtown, so much potential.

3381413760_c528a1f2aa_b.jpg

3380592663_347c3e07cf_b.jpg

3381414710_1014584556_b.jpg

3380594297_07e9c617ed_b.jpg

3381416294_3d064064c7_b.jpg

3380595161_51d66df5d1_b.jpg

3380595673_a9657b14c8_b.jpg

3380596185_43420db2f6_b.jpg

3381418322_bdc4b62226_b.jpg

3381418704_4744ed75fe_b.jpg

3380597471_5dc4344f8f_b.jpg

Former home of Andrew Chadwick's, which I hear has just closed.

3381419928_4cf40f67b6_b.jpg

3381420598_3c6ccf6ca9_b.jpg

Thanks for posting. I think I remember seeing these on the NC site about the architecture in Nashville. I am no expert in architecture. However, architecture was one of my career choices and if I had the time I would get an architecture degree or at least take some classes. After patrolling these sites the past year or two I have picked up on some stuff, including architecture. I do love the older buildings, and how there is a mixture of new and old. However, it is sad that some older buildings were lost. I wish more developers would have used (and will use) previous buildings if possible. I do now notice the dead space, and some of the lacking architecture details (although that doesn't bother me as much as so of you architecture aficionados :)). The dead space really bothers me, though. How can we encourage more retail and better block design for street level? What can we do? Is Nashville just not that type of city (Chicago, NY, etc.) or are we lacking people in the right places to do something about it? Or are people just uneducated, like I was?

The last picture is great. I'll have to get up there some day and check it out, ;) .