Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Great pics of Nashville downtown and thanks for posting! Just like you, I think the retail offerings are meager as well, but there is great potential. Actually, there has been growth in retail in the past 15 years or so. What was sad was to see the great decline in retail in downtown are that took place from the 50's on to the 80's as people moved to the suburbs and away from the downtown areas. That trend is beginning to reverse and the potential is there for far greater downtown retail. The key is to continue to grow the number of people living there.

I'm guessing that last picture you posted is Seoul, Korea. Am I correct?

Great pics of Nashville downtown and thanks for posting! Just like you, I think the retail offerings are meager as well, but there is great potential. Actually, there has been growth in retail in the past 15 years or so. What was sad was to see the great decline in retail in downtown are that took place from the 50's on to the 80's as people moved to the suburbs and away from the downtown areas. That trend is beginning to reverse and the potential is there for far greater downtown retail. The key is to continue to grow the number of people living there.

I'm guessing that last picture you posted is Seoul, Korea. Am I correct?

Thanks for the comments all.

Hank, I share your optimism about the future of the in-town area, I'm sort of informally brainstorming on how I can play a part in future growth personally.

Indeed the last photo isn't, in fact, Nashville as viewed from Love Circle, but rather the mega city, Seoul from Mt. Gwanak. :whistling:

Thanks for the comments all.

Hank, I share your optimism about the future of the in-town area, I'm sort of informally brainstorming on how I can play a part in future growth personally.

Indeed the last photo isn't, in fact, Nashville as viewed from Love Circle, but rather the mega city, Seoul from Mt. Gwanak. :whistling:

I really hope you're able to play a role in the future growth in downtown Nashville. How great that would be! I was pretty darn sure that was Seoul. Believe it or not, I actually lived there from June, 1985 to December, 1987 while working on a plant startup project with TRW. The plant was a joint venture between TRW (based in the US) and Kia Motors to produce power steering gears and suspension components for Kia's first automobiles. Up until then, the Korean government had only allowed Kia to manufacture and sell trucks.

I really hope you're able to play a role in the future growth in downtown Nashville. How great that would be! I was pretty darn sure that was Seoul. Believe it or not, I actually lived there from June, 1985 to December, 1987 while working on a plant startup project with TRW. The plant was a joint venture between TRW (based in the US) and Kia Motors to produce power steering gears and suspension components for Kia's first automobiles. Up until then, the Korean government had only allowed Kia to manufacture and sell trucks.

Cool, that must have been an interesting time to be in Seoul, what with the coming of the Olympics, the transformation of the country from dictatorship to democracy and whatnot. It's still quite an interesting place, certainly not the most beautiful city architecturally, but there is more than enough beauty in the natural environment, the people, food and culture to make up for it.

Anyway, I hope some of you guys and gals in Nashville get back out there with your cameras and document the progress of Nashville's built environment. While there might not be a surfeit of projects on the horizon, there has still been tons of progress in the past few years. Let's see some street level views of the Gulch with the Velocity and Terrazzo, Germantown and the North Capitol Area, etc. What's the mood like in the city? Are people out and about on the streets? Is anybody actually living in the Icon? How about the retail?

I'm on the other side of the world, otherwise I'd check it out for myself. So help a brother out.:)

• 9 months later...

I took a few pictures in the car last week on my way to Indy. I warn you, these aren't the greatest due to being in a moving car, dirty car windows, and a point and shoot camera. However, I wanted to share this view that travelers see when passing through the city. Also, the Pinnacle/BB&S tower looks great! It adds a definite plus to the skyline.

Coming up on the 65N split south of DT.

CIMG3133.JPG

A little closer, you can see the Pinnacle shooting up on the right. You can also see the Pinnacle sign on the west side of the building.

CIMG3134.JPG

Decent shot even closer on the split. Notice the Pinnacle again with the Encore in its shadows.

CIMG3135.JPG

Shot coming off the westward ramp looking towards the Gulch and Music Row.

CIMG3137.JPG

Another shot with Terrazzo,Icon, West End and Music Row.

CIMG3138.JPG

Shot of DT coming off the westward ramp. Not terribly noticeable, but the Viridian, Suntrust, Encore, and Pinnacle do make a big difference. Also, see that red portable crane sticking out to the left of the Pinnacle and Encore in the mid-ground? Anyone have any idea why that is there?

CIMG3139.JPG

Terrazzo and Icon from the 'state.

CIMG3140.JPG

Closeup of the Terrazzo.

CIMG3141.JPG

Icon

CIMG3142.JPG

Rhythm

CIMG3143.JPG

Rhythm again

CIMG3144.JPG

NES building. I don't know why but this building is iconic for me (from childhood) and Nashville.

CIMG3146.JPG

Shot coming up the westward side of the DT loop looking east towards DT.

CIMG3147.JPG

Shot of the northside from the westward loop. Thanks Anthony's Showplaceermm.gifblush.gifwhistling.gifdry.gif.

CIMG3148.JPG

Beginning the north turn, DT shot.

CIMG3149.JPG

Edited by timmay143

North of DT.

CIMG3150.JPG

Shot of DT from the north.

CIMG3151.JPG

DT again from the north.

CIMG3152.JPG

CIMG3153.JPG

DT and the Cumberland.

CIMG3154.JPG

DT right before the loop merges on the north-northeast side of town. Notice the impact of the Pinnacle in these last few shots.

CIMG3155.JPG

This is on the way back from Indy. Coming down 65S from the north.

CIMG3259.JPG

Kind of blurry but a little closer.

CIMG3260.JPG

CIMG3261.JPG

CIMG3262.JPG

CIMG3263.JPG

Approach from the north, sorry for so many pictures.

CIMG3264.JPG

Right before the split on the north. Going to take the eastward loop home this time.

CIMG3266.JPG

CIMG3268.JPG

From the east, DT Nashville.

CIMG3271.JPG

CIMG3272.JPG

5th and Main in East Nashville.

CIMG3274.JPG

5th and Main again.

CIMG3274.JPG

DT from the eastside. LP field and the Music City Bowl game traffic.

CIMG3277.JPG

LP Field and Pinnacle. You can also see the Gateway Bridge and Rolling Mill Hill on the left.

CIMG3278.JPG

Another shot of 5th and Main. Sorry about the billboard.

CIMG3279.JPG

Not sure what this project is called. Looks like some nice condos. Southern part of East Nashville. I love the old smoke stacks!

CIMG3280.JPG

Shot of DT about to cross the Cumberland from the southeast. Notice the tops of the Terrazzo and Icon in the Gulch on the far left.

CIMG3281.JPG

I have been trying to get around town and take some good closeup shots of places. However, when I come back in town I am so busy (and lazy) it is hard for me to do. Please get out there and get pictures of the progress. It is not big, but at least there is some stuff.

- 1700 Midtown

What else is going on in Nashville?

I came across three crane sightings while shooting photos from the car while looping around town.

The first is on the westside. I think it is a little north of the Rhythm. I have no clue what it is. Need help identifying.

CIMG3145.JPG

Second is on the southside of town north of the loop.

CIMG3139%202.jpg

The third I caught north of town. Not sure if this is from the industrial area or a project on the northside.

CIMG3151%202.jpg

CIMG3151%203.jpg

CIMG3152%202.jpg

Thanks Timmay. It's good to see somebody get out there and take some pictures, even if they're from the window of a moving car. By the way, the Rhythm has to be one of the worst condo projects in the history of the world. Definitely takes over from Bristol on Broadway for worst in Nashville. I drove by 1700 Midtown a while ago. It's, um, interesting. I'll try to get out and take some photos some day, but you're right, so lazy and too cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I made this skyline panorama scene from the roof of Adventure Science Center a couple months ago. Hope to do it again soon with a better camera. Maybe when it's not quite so cold up there!

http://www.circumspe.../nashpan09.html

Wow!! Great pano drewbert!!! That is one of the best spots to get a good view of the area. What kind of camera do you have and what website did you load it up to?

Thanks Timmay. It's good to see somebody get out there and take some pictures, even if they're from the window of a moving car. By the way, the Rhythm has to be one of the worst condo projects in the history of the world. Definitely takes over from Bristol on Broadway for worst in Nashville. I drove by 1700 Midtown a while ago. It's, um, interesting. I'll try to get out and take some photos some day, but you're right, so lazy and too cold.

Ha! I agree. The Rhythm is lacking and subpar. It needs just a little something like some color to at least make it a little better.

Wow!! Great pano drewbert!!! That is one of the best spots to get a good view of the area. What kind of camera do you have and what website did you load it up to?

Thanks! The camera's just a regular point-and-shoot Canon powershot. The pan was stitched together in Photoshop - which also has a thingy for exporting code to make a zoomable web page. Still waiting for the weather to improve :D

Edited by drewbert

Thanks! The camera's just a regular point-and-shoot Canon powershot. The pan was stitched together in Photoshop - which also has a thingy for exporting code to make a zoomable web page. Still waiting for the weather to improve :D

Wow, oh cool. That is a very nice shot with a point and shoot. I have never messed with Photoshop and that looks great. Maybe one day whrn I get some more time to donate to photgraphy I will get more into that kind of stuff or maybe I am just behind in that realm. I have a point and shoot too but want to upgrade on day to a DSLR.

It's getting warmer!

Edited by timmay143

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A forumer over on the Nashville Charrette believes that it is housing for recovering substance abuse addicts, part of the Campus for Human Development.

That's the new building for Room in the Inn.. they have a sign up now.. And a construction cam You enter 'guest' as the user name..

All part of the Campus for Human Development..

Timmay, thanks for all of the shots.

Just a side comment to see if anyone else has noticed this. In your 5th picture (of Icon & Terrazzo) there is a video billboard in the picture (displaying "200%...." in your shot). I drive past it every night on my way home and that freakin' thing is bright! So bright, that i think it is distracting and dangerous. It really makes me squint when i have nighttime dilated eyes. I wish they could turn the brightness of that screen down at night. Besides the danger factor, it's just plain ugly.

Timmay, i share your love of the NES building! I remember they used to light it up really well during the holiday season. They don't do it anymore, i understand why, but i kinda miss it. It was counter-productive though.

Thanks again for the shots.