Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Look how wide the road is in our tourist central district.... Incredible that so many people move through this area, and yet so much more is dedicated to automobile.

If one ever needed evidence that Nashville were a city in full service to the automobile, then this would be the ultimate proof.  It's just absurd that what is by far our busiest pedestrian thoroughfare is dedicated to automobile traffic by a roughly 5:1 ratio.  Those sidewalks should be AT LEAST twice as wide as they currently are... but noooo... if Nashvillians don't have their precious turning lanes they start having anxiety attacks.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

If one ever needed evidence that Nashville were a city in full service to the automobile, then this would be the ultimate proof.  It's just absurd that what is by far our busiest pedestrian thoroughfare is dedicated to automobile traffic by a roughly 5:1 ratio.  Those sidewalks should be AT LEAST twice as wide as they currently are... but noooo... if Nashvillians don't have their precious turning lanes they start having anxiety attacks.  

Many New York City sidewalks on major streets are just as narrow, if not more narrow than those of Nashville’s Broadway. Needless to say, many millions more people clog those sidewalks than do ours!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Many New York City sidewalks on major streets are just as narrow, if not more narrow than those of Nashville’s Broadway. Needless to say, many millions more people clog those sidewalks than do ours!

Then again, people have time and time again spoken about how we are NOT New York. New York also has a robust (albeit deteriorating) mass transit system that includes 100's of miles of heavy rail subway to move people. Having a public transit system that you can (for the most part) rely on gives NYC at least a minor excuse. They also have a robust cycling infrastructure that Nashville does not have.

FWIW, NYC had estimated population of 8.6 million last year, while Nashville's is around 659,000. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

Geez, their skyline is at least twice as dense as ours :(

I looked at some data using emporis.com   I could have missed some figures but I thought it was interesting to compare the two over time. 

For the 200-299 ft. range we have been pretty even every decade.  The 300-399 ft. is where we struggle with Austin having 9 back in the 80's and us with 4. Now it is a 20-11 comparison. For 400-499 ft we were at 4 from the 80's through the 2000's. Austin didn't hit 2 until the 2000's. Now they are ahead at a 11-7 ratio. 

Status Height (ft) Austin Nashville
Built 115-199 91 84
200-299 26 28
300-399 17 9
400-499 8 6
500-599 2 1
>600 1 1
U/C 115-199 5 4
200-299 2 5
300-399 3 2
400-499 3 1
>600 1  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

I looked at some data using emporis.com   I could have missed some figures but I thought it was interesting to compare the two over time. 

For the 200-299 ft. range we have been pretty even every decade.  The 300-399 ft. is where we struggle with Austin having 9 back in the 80's and us with 4. Now it is a 20-11 comparison. For 400-499 ft we were at 4 from the 80's through the 2000's. Austin didn't hit 2 until the 2000's. Now they are ahead at a 11-7 ratio. 

Status Height (ft) Austin Nashville
Built 115-199 91 84
200-299 26 28
300-399 17 9
400-499 8 6
500-599 2 1
>600 1 1
U/C 115-199 5 4
200-299 2 5
300-399 3 2
400-499 3 1
>600 1  

FYI...Those Emporis numbers are way out of date and incomplete.  If you want to do a comparison, Wikipedia is a little better for the taller buildings.  But that's not great either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The ATX said:

FYI...Those Emporis numbers are way out of date and incomplete.  If you want to do a comparison, Wikipedia is a little better for the taller buildings.  But that's not great either.

Yeah, they're really incomplete for most cities I've checked out, Nashville and Austin included.  It's a nice resource for sure, but they don't do a great job keeping up with things it seems.

• Like 1

Anyone know what the crane in front of the ATT & (BWSC?) building is?  I'd guess it's the LC Sobro site, but it seems awfully tall for a 7-story building. And how close will Eakin's box get to City Lights from this distance/angle? 

So is anyone else feeling like giving up on Embassy/Curio?  

image.png

Edited by MLBrumby