Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I "love me" some Orlando, but OMG! The architecture is so bland.  On one hand I commend them for the glass-and-color of their performing arts building... On the other, I have been longing for an updated version of Spanish colonial architecture. The current knock-offs (mostly in residential anymore) are just a latter-day version of 1970s wood-stucco designs. 

31 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

This week I’m in Orlando-but no Disney time for me! Photos here are the Doctor Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, and the view NW from the front of the theatre.

53B0DD66-ADCB-40E4-B53C-AA8368DAB7A0.jpeg

9BB3E0F2-EA81-4952-95F1-0A29182C7D7E.jpeg

Just curious DnD. How does TPAC compare to other performing arts facilities.  What are it's strengths and shortcomings?

TPAC, for a venue of its age, is quite serviceable. It could, however, benefit from some updates and I’m hoping that some expansion of service and support spaces is forthcoming with the move of the museum. The Star dressing room got a much needed facelift when Dolly Parton was “in the House” for the mounting of the tour of her 9 to 5 stage musical.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

TPAC, for a venue of its age, is quite serviceable. It could, however, benefit from some updates and I’m hoping that some expansion of service and support spaces is forthcoming with the move of the museum. The Star dressing room got a much needed facelift when Dolly Parton was “in the House” for the mounting of the tour of her 9 to 5 stage musical.

Is there any way to knock some holes in the exterior walls for some street activation?  It's such a hostile fortress at the street level.  And the balcony in Jackson hall is a nightmare, climbing over people to reach your seat.  I almost fell on someone last time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neigeville2 said:

Is there any way to knock some holes in the exterior walls for some street activation?  It's such a hostile fortress at the street level.  And the balcony in Jackson hall is a nightmare, climbing over people to reach your seat.  I almost fell on someone last time.

Creating street activation is practically impossible, other than adding small kiosks to the exterior.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Creating street activation is practically impossible, other than adding small kiosks to the exterior.

That whole section of DT is like that.  If there were a lot of street traffic little kiosks would work for selling things like crepes and tacos, but it's hard to imagine anything that size that would serve to lure new people to the area which seems pretty barren a lot of the time.  I'm not downtown during weekdays so maybe it's different then.

2 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

That whole section of DT is like that.  If there were a lot of street traffic little kiosks would work for selling things like crepes and tacos, but it's hard to imagine anything that size that would serve to lure new people to the area which seems pretty barren a lot of the time.  I'm not downtown during weekdays so maybe it's different then.

There is actually quite a bit of pedestrian traffic in the vicinity now, much more than when I first started working downtown years ago.    And it’s only increasing with all the new hotels  on 4th.      The people go where there are things to  do, so 4th, 5th, 6th, Church, Union, the Arcade have heavy traffic every weekday.    The sidewalks surrounding the Polk/TPAC block are dead because there is zero street activation, same with Deaderick St.    But look what happens to that area every Thursday when the food trucks line up on Deaderick.    Suddenly, it’s an outdoor festival, even on cold days like it was today.        Kiosks with  street food, small artisan shops  and  some cafe tables would draw people to the area I promise you.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

TPAC is in dire need of major interior renovations and general updating.  The lobby, restrooms, concessions all look like the 1970’s.   The theatres are ok, but not great. The lack of a center aisle makes it difficult to easily reach seats. Now that the state museum has moved out to its new building I hope TPAC gets some modern touches.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dxfret said:

TPAC is in dire need of major interior renovations and general updating.  The lobby, restrooms, concessions all look like the 1970’s.   The theatres are ok, but not great. The lack of a center aisle makes it difficult to easily reach seats. Now that the state museum has moved out to its new building I hope TPAC gets some modern touches.  

The public areas for Andrew Jackson Hall were fully renovated in 2003, with significant improvements in the main lobby and restrooms. (In contrast, the dressing rooms have had NO updates, except for the Star dressing room.)  The Polk Theatre Lobby has had only minor updates since the building opened. I am unaware of any upgrades to the Johnson Theatre (the “black box” in the basement). As for continental seating (no interior aisles), this configuration generally provides increased legroom for patrons. It would be less problematic if more patrons were timely in their arrival, and more courteous by standing to allow others to pass when necessary. The problem of late arrivals is epidemic in many cities, Nashville included. I personally prefer continental seating.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

As for continental seating (no interior aisles), this configuration generally provides increased legroom for patrons.

It also provides seats in the location with the most perfectly balanced acoustics, as I discovered a few years ago at a Bob Dylan concert.  After talking with several friends who were there, I discovered my seats in the middle of the theater allowed me to understand the words Bob was singing.  My friends in other parts of the theater were not so lucky.  Bob's voice was never 'pretty' and is less so today.  He is an icon, a legend, and I was grateful to be there.  Hope to see him again on "The Never-Ending Tour."

• Like 1