Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I know that Presbyterian church. My law school classmate was married there. Always thought it was a beautiful oasis in a commercial sea. So sorry to see it's being replaced with the same boxy crap that's invading every other city these days.

It was locally called the Ski slope church and built in the 1960s.  They will get a brand new 35,000 sq ft building which is huge. 

• Like 2

Good assessment. I think KC's best quality is its midtown. Pittsburgh's is cool, but I've only been there once. So I didn't realize how far I was from downtown. Was not impressed by what is allegedly B'ham's midtown. Was there just last October and there is a residential tower u/c in their 5 Points. I always love to 'detour' through Dreamland, but overall, there's a huge gap in what the whole are needs to make their midtown a destination. 

I agree that there are a few key missing elements to 'activate' Nashville's midtown. The car lots are utterly pathetic, but here for now. I expect Jim Reed to sell first and Beaman will make a 'mint' off his property but still at least a decade away. I really can't blame them for selling b/c that's the hub of traffic in the metro. Beaman is not holding on to the property b/c of the value of the property. He's there to sell cars. I assume the same is true for Jim Reed.

As far as Nashville's midtown is concerned, the best bet for pedestrian activation will be west of Broadwest (obviously), Broadway and Hayes Street. I'm surprised there has not been a lot of property turnover on Hayes.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I agree that there are a few key missing elements to 'activate' Nashville's midtown. The car lots are utterly pathetic, but here for now. I expect Jim Reed to sell first and Beaman will make a 'mint' off his property but still at least a decade away. I really can't blame them for selling b/c that's the hub of traffic in the metro. Beaman is not holding on to the property b/c of the value of the property. He's there to sell cars. I assume the same is true for Jim Reed.

BTW, I saw someone marking off utility locations on the sidewalk in front of Jim Reed a week or so ago. Maybe it was for the Broadwest development, or who knows.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Good assessment. I think KC's best quality is its midtown. Pittsburgh's is cool, but I've only been there once. So I didn't realize how far I was from downtown. Was not impressed by what is allegedly B'ham's midtown. Was there just last October and there is a residential tower u/c in their 5 Points. I always love to 'detour' through Dreamland, but overall, there's a huge gap in what the whole are needs to make their midtown a destination. 

As far as Nashville's midtown is concerned, the best bet for pedestrian activation will be west of Broadwest (obviously), Broadway and Hayes Street. I'm surprised there has not been a lot of property turnover on Hayes.  

Good assessment, MLB. Points well made.

WW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PHofKS said:

BTW, I saw someone marking off utility locations on the sidewalk in front of Jim Reed a week or so ago. Maybe it was for the Broadwest development, or who knows.

And today I saw some actual surveying equipment, so I would reckon someone is likely preparing a detailed survey of the property.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

On the BHam midtown theme, MLB ...

There is a very large university (UAB), an elite "urban pocket" (Five Points) and lots of smaller masonry buildings that (in theory) could create some strong walkability — all elements that yield an urban place. What Midtown BHam lacks is towers and much new construction of any size.

• Like 1

^Awesome... one of the most complete skyline shots I've seen in quite some time!  @Andrew_3289 is that your picture, or did you get it from somewhere?  If the former, wow incredible job... if the latter, do you mind posting a link?  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

The skyline view from Bordeaux at 5:30am and about 6:00pm is very nice and shows the complete skyline view  all lite up. I don’t think my phone would do a picture of it any justice. Every morning as I drive toward town on Clarksville pike I always enjoy the view.  Everything being lite up is  so beautiful I just wish there were more buildings lite up like Cambria. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Buildtall said:

The skyline view from Bordeaux at 5:30am and about 6:00pm is very nice and shows the complete skyline view  all lite up. I don’t think my phone would do a picture of it any justice. Every morning as I drive toward town on Clarksville pike I always enjoy the view.  Everything being lite up is  so beautiful I just wish there were more buildings lite up like Cambria. 

I so agree.  I used to live in Bordeaux from the mid 70's through the late 90's.  Even as a kid I used to love seeing the skyline when ever I was heading down Clarksville Pike towards town.  One of the best views is on Summit Ave. right off of Clarksville Pike just above the Exxon Station.  Anyone wanting a truly panoramic shot of the skyline should go take a look.  I used to watch the 4th of July fireworks from up there.  

Stupid question: Is the inside of that grain elevator used for anything now?

As you drive from downtown out I-40 to that location it's easy to ignore how close it is to downtown if you just take the more direct (except for having to go around TSU) Jefferson Street/Centennial Blvd route.  

Edited by MLBrumby