Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Vanderbilt already has taken a huge bite as they own huge tracts of land in the area as far east as 17th.

Yeah...I'm not sure if Belmont has crossed over Wedgewood yet...but I think they've either purchased land or looked at purchasing land on Villa Place, backing up to 16th.

The name "Great Mississippi Flood of 1927" is a bit of a misnomer.  The flood also occurred up the Ohio River and its tributaries where snow and rainfall were also extraordinarily above normal.

I read a great book on this several years back, Rising Tide by John Barry.  @Griz83 is spot on - without the efforts of the Corp of Engineers, the 2010 flood would have been devastating to Nashville.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mississippi_Flood_of_1927

• Like 3

On 1/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, markhollin said:

Midtown looking SW from above Charlotte Ave., fall 2018:

Midtown looking SW from Charlotte, fall 2018 x.png

The John Henry Hale homes are very inefficient density wise. We could have mixed used here and incentive developers by keeping real estate taxes basically zero since there would be inclusionary government housing..

when we talk about housing shortage in Nashville, this is a part of the problem. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The John Henry Hale homes are very inefficient density wise. We could have mixed used here and incentive developers by keeping real estate taxes basically zero since there would be inclusionary government housing..

when we talk about housing shortage in Nashville, this is a part of the problem. 

That's the tough decision that the government has to make.  Do you have nice little home like these with a yard but lack density...the "military-style" barracks where everyone feels "on top of" one another and kinda trapped...or come up with some middle ground?  Not an easy answer...though I hope they continue to stay away from just building a structure and throwing the underprivileged into a sad situation where they feel trapped.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, titanhog said:

That's the tough decision that the government has to make.  Do you have nice little home like these with a yard but lack density...the "military-style" barracks where everyone feels "on top of" one another and kinda trapped...or come up with some middle ground?  Not an easy answer...though I hope they continue to stay away from just building a structure and throwing the underprivileged into a sad situation where they feel trapped.

True, but I’m saying mixed income developments led by the private sector. Therefore those that live in government housing aren’t isolated off and more so a part of the community

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Griz83 said:

That is a big misnomer.  A "100 year flood" simply means a flooding event that has a 1% chance of happening each year.  FEMA is attempting to phase out the "x year flood" event titles.  However, it will take a while for that terminology to exit popular culture.

Interestingly, if I recall correctly, the 2010 flood was by far the highest rainfall amount in 1 day, highest rainfall amount over 2 days, and highest rainfall in one month (May 2010).  However, during the record-holding "Great Flood" in  1937 the Cumberland was 14 FEET higher!  I make a big deal about that because people gave the Corps of Engineers crap over the flooding that occurred in 2010.  If the dams and reservoirs hadn't been put in place and managed adequately, think about how much higher the flood would've been.  The 1927 photo above shows the river around 4.5 feet higher than in 2010, and from a much smaller rain event.

I must correct this for accuracy

The all-time record crest recorded in Nashville is 56.20 on January 1, 1927 which is 16 foot above flood stage. However, historians have noted that flood levels of a 1793 flood probably would have been about 58.3 - had it been recorded. Your comment about 14 foot higher than 2010 should be 4 foot - not 14 foot. It was estimated that without current flood control measures, the 2010 flood would probably be just under the record crest, at about 56. The remainder of your statement is accurate! The National Weather Service and The Army Corp of Engineers now have direct communication, one of the many outcomes of the lawsuits each endured

Cumberland River at Nashville

Historic Crests - Flood Stage 40.00
(1) 56.20 ft on 01/01/1927
(2) 53.90 ft on 01/26/1937
(3) 52.55 ft on 05/03/2010
(4) 51.00 ft on 03/30/1929
(5) 49.90 ft on 02/05/1918
(6) 49.70 ft on 02/18/1948
(7) 48.90 ft on 01/15/1946
(8) 48.80 ft on 02/11/1939
(9) 48.60 ft on 02/10/1950
(10) 48.40 ft on 01/14/1913

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I must correct this for accuracy

The all-time record crest recorded in Nashville is 56.20 on January 1, 1927 which is 16 foot above flood stage. However, historians have noted that flood levels of a 1793 flood probably would have been about 58.3 - had it been recorded. Your comment about 14 foot higher than 2010 should be 4 foot - not 14 foot. It was estimated that without current flood control measures, the 2010 flood would probably be just under the record crest, at about 56. The remainder of your statement is accurate! The National Weather Service and The Army Corp of Engineers now have direct communication, one of the many outcomes of the lawsuits each endured

Cumberland River at Nashville

Historic Crests - Flood Stage 40.00
(1) 56.20 ft on 01/01/1927
(2) 53.90 ft on 01/26/1937
(3) 52.55 ft on 05/03/2010
(4) 51.00 ft on 03/30/1929
(5) 49.90 ft on 02/05/1918
(6) 49.70 ft on 02/18/1948
(7) 48.90 ft on 01/15/1946
(8) 48.80 ft on 02/11/1939
(9) 48.60 ft on 02/10/1950
(10) 48.40 ft on 01/14/1913

You are correct.  I was remembering data from Clarksville, at 65 feet during the 1937 flood.  I had looked it up many years ago.  Found it again to confirm:
https://www.weather.gov/ohx/calendar

Too many numbers, not enough space in my head.  Thanks for correcting!  Still, Corps did a good job in 2010!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hilton should be imploded and replaced with a bigger and taller property. The current Hilton is a franchise and is pretty simple architecture from the late 90’s. I guess it was quite a gamble back in the day. It must’ve paid off because it has to be a cash cow since they have the very best hotel location in downtown.

6 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Stix.  Ugh.   Are there not any plans to at least put in some attractive landscaping?  

Ughh, never make me defend stinkx. The landscaping is native (mostly wild) flowers that bloom at various times of the year: buttercups in the spring, cone flowers in June, etc

Now pardon me while I go hurl for what I have just done

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, memphian said:

The Hilton should be imploded and replaced with a bigger and taller property. The current Hilton is a franchise and is pretty simple architecture from the late 90’s. I guess it was quite a gamble back in the day. It must’ve paid off because it has to be a cash cow since they have the very best hotel location in downtown.

Sadly, I don't believe they'll let them go much higher at that location.  Does anyone know the height restriction a half block off of Broadway in that location?