Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I live in Memphis and I don't know of a single square inch of this city that's worth visiting from Arkansas or Mississippi. International tourists who come here must surely want their money back. People I've met from Germany, Switzerland, Austria and also some South American countries, however, love country music and express a strong desire to visit Music City. I will admit that my Middle Eastern friends have never heard of it though.... Too busy listening to Fayruz I guess.

Lol...You live in Bartlett, don't you? 

I don't know if your post was sarcasm or not, but if it's that bad, then just move to Horn Lake or Marion.  

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We need a no-holds-barred Memphis vs. Nashville thread. 

I love living in Nashville, but I will fiercely defend Memphis and its many merits until the day I die (while still acknowledging its many flaws).

[insert Nashville picture here]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dxfret said:

Internationally, Memphis is known for one thing, Elvis Presley. 

You'd be surprised how many people overseas associate Elvis with Nashville instead of Memphis.  I wish I'd counted how many people in places like France and Japan exclaimed "Elvis!" when I told them I was from Nashville.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I’ve lived in both Memphis and Nashville...but I won’t tell you which one I prefer because there are a few posters on here who may cry...because, ya know, opinions hurt, and all... :shades:

I don't have a problem with people being constructively critical of Memphis. But when they fail to (or refuse to) acknowledge Memphis has good points too, ... seems odd at the least and mean-spirited at the worst.

Conversely, there are some on this board who constantly praise Nashville without admitting the city has some flaws and some work to be done.

I want people from other cities to feel welcomed to post on this forum their fair criticism (and their admiration, too) about Nashville without feeling they will be dismissed. That's why we have to temper our rah-rah-ism with class and fairness.

WW

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

You'd be surprised how many people overseas associate Elvis with Nashville instead of Memphis.  I wish I'd counted how many people in places like France and Japan exclaimed "Elvis!" when I told them I was from Nashville.

Elvis definitely is a “Memphis” guy....but he left his mark on Nashville, too (in a lesser sense)

35 minutes ago, Ingram said:

Interesting to notice that anything that has to do with Memphis (or for that Birmingham and Louisville) instills machismo in this forum's posters. They immediately go on the attack against those places. 

Yet a certain town's posters routinely throw "shade" at Nashville and everybody kneels down, extends their arm in deferrant submission like the apes do in those movies. The machismo is replaced by defeatism and meekness. This despite the fact that Nashville routinely drubs the town everytime it goes against it.

Interesting.

I would name the town but some posters are so slavishly defensive of it that they will mount an attack against anyone they think has wronged it.

Truly bizarre.

I have a hunch about which town you're referencing. If it's a few of the posters from that town, I'd have to agree with you.

Remember last summer when that goober s***posted about Nashville in the CBD thread after his (alleged) visit? That was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen on UrbanPlanet since I have been a member. The dude was straight up melting down over here and went back to his own board to complain about us.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, East Side Urbanite said:

I don't have a problem with people being constructively critical of Memphis. But when they fail to (or refuse to) acknowledge Memphis has good points too, ... seems odd at the least and mean-spirited at the worst.

Conversely, there are some on this board who constantly praise Nashville without admitting the city has some flaws and some work to be done.

I want people from other cities to feel welcomed to post on this forum their fair criticism (and their admiration, too) about Nashville without feeling they will be dismissed. That's why we have to temper our rah-rah-ism with class and fairness.

WW

It’s just that you have made some pretty harsh points in the past and actually come across as very offended when someone doesn’t have the same love for Memphis that you do.

I will not forget that you intimated one time on here that you probably know why I don’t care for Memphis...as if you could have a single clue...cause guess what...there are a million possible reasons a person may not care for a certain city...and I promise you, you have NO idea why Memphis will never be one of my favorite cities.  

But keep defending away and acting like someone must be crazy if they don’t care for Memphis.  And btw...do you spend a lot of time defending Nashville to all of the haters who live in Memphis?  I promise I’ve heard a lot of hate for Nashville from that side.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, East Side Urbanite said:

WW

Say something about...........that town and see what happens. Delta Force and Seal Team Six combined couldn't save you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've only been to Memphis probably less than a dozen times. Just some things that stick in my memory...

1. Early 1980s. Our family stayed there with family friends in Germantown en route to Kansas City when I was twelve and I was surprised to see how urban it was. Even more so (in my mind) than Atlanta. It also seemed very old. We went to the zoo which seemed so much better than Atlanta's. I also was told that our dinner was "the best" barbecue in the world (first time I heard 'dry rub').

2. Early 1990s. At Vandy, my fraternity had a formal at The Peabody. So we saw a lot of downtown. I thought it was cool... because of all the old old buildings. Yes, many were dilapidated.  Beale Street was beginning its revival. Certain parts reminded me of New Orleans. 

3. Early 2002s. Visited Memphis for a legal conference in 2004. By this point, I was very much into URBAN fascination. Loved the potential of the city. Thought, if this place gets discovered it will take off. 

4. Recent to present. Nashville got discovered. Memphis is still hanging out there. I still want to take my family to Graceland and do a Memphis weekend. I live in Chattanooga, which has made a lot of great strides in its renaissance. So as I cast my attention westward, I wonder if Memphis has seen what my beloved Chattanooga has seen in the past 15 years. Overdue for a visit. Not long ago, I asked an associate who's from Memphis why his hometown has not taken off like Nashville. His reply... the corruption of the people they keep electing to run the place. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

4. Recent to present. Nashville got discovered. Memphis is still hanging out there. I still want to take my family to Graceland and do a Memphis weekend. I live in Chattanooga, which has made a lot of great strides in its renaissance. So as I cast my attention westward, I wonder if Memphis has seen what my beloved Chattanooga has seen in the past 15 years. Overdue for a visit. Not long ago, I asked an associate who's from Memphis why his hometown has not taken off like Nashville. His reply... the corruption of the people they keep electing to run the place. 

This is the problem in a number of cities, not the urban environment, not access to and from the city, not anything other than leaders that are out for themselves and their cronies. I had always heard negative things about Detroit growing up, and while some were deserved, no doubt, a lot of it stemmed from those in charge being corrupt. Yes, the decline of the auto industry had a LOT to do with it, but when you have mayor after mayor dipping into the city treasury to help themselves and those around them, you get what you have in Memphis and Detroit. Thankfully, each is slowly recovering, I can't speak for Memphis, as I was only there for a day or two several years back, but I can say that Detroit is finally climbing out from the rubble it was in the 80s and 90s. It's far from what it was, but it's a hell of a long way from where it was only a couple decades ago.

As far as our "rivalry" with Memphis, it's just like any other two cities of significant size in the same state. For me, it's fun to poke at them, but to say it's a horrible city would miss what Memphis is attempting to do. I love Nashville, but I don't put the blinders on, and think we're perfect. Far from it. I actually feel that with how we're marketed, it's inviting a dangerous element into the city, a more booze soaked reputation, with a dangerous side. This, among other reasons, is why I rarely find myself going past 5th Ave. when downtown. But that's just me.

• Like 2

I'm a Nashville native who lived in Memphis for a while. Different Cities, different histories. Like apples and oranges they are not easy to compare.

I will say this in all seriousness: The past hangs over Memphis much more than Nashville. In that sense it is more comparable to New Orleans-river cities whose glory days have passed. My hope is a new generation of young Americans will rediscover these places and move there to reclaim the incredible cultural heritage they have to offer as their own.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

It’s just that you have made some pretty harsh points in the past and actually come across as very offended when someone doesn’t have the same love for Memphis that you do.

I will not forget that you intimated one time on here that you probably know why I don’t care for Memphis...as if you could have a single clue...cause guess what...there are a million possible reasons a person may not care for a certain city...and I promise you, you have NO idea why Memphis will never be one of my favorite cities.  

But keep defending away and acting like someone must be crazy if they don’t care for Memphis.  And btw...do you spend a lot of time defending Nashville to all of the haters who live in Memphis?  I promise I’ve heard a lot of hate for Nashville from that side.

THog. I think if you and I sat down and had a beer about this, you might be surprised at some of my views about Nashville, Memphis, society in general, politics, race, etc. I'm sure we would actually probably enjoy the chat. I have zero, zero, zero problem with anybody who dislikes Memphis. There is lots about that city (I was born there and my elderly parents met and fell in love there in college) that I dislike myself. Memphis has lots of problems. But look at it this way. Let's assume you love Nashville and that you were born in Nashville and your parents met and fell in love in college and Nashville. And let's assume you had to often deal with folks from Memphis who were constantly dogging Nashville without giving it any credit. How would you feel? Like me, you would probably feel badly.

And, yes, I'm with you. I've heard Memphians slam Nashville. And I bet you would buy my beer (if we ever did sit down together) to learn that I dislike hearing that garbage from Memphians MORE than you do. Because I have no patience for people who "hurt the team." The fans of the teams/cities/politicians I like and who act like arrogant idiots ... I dislike them more than the idiotic fans of the teams/cities/politicians I don't root for. 

The gracious and classy thing to say if you (you being anybody) don't like Memphis is this: "I don't much care for Memphis. It has lots of flaws.  I had a bad experience there that has left me with terrible memories of the city. BUT, I'm fair enough to acknowledge that there are people who like things about Memphis. And I can kind of see why."

That's called being fair and reasonable.

It is true, I've been an ass at times in addressing you and this topic and I apologize for that. But I have never intimated to anyone in particular why I feel they don't care for Memphis. If I did that to you, my sincerest apologies. I was a jerk in doing so. But I try to offer criticisms in a general sense.

And I know exactly what you think I'm thinking about when I discuss this topic (it's a delicate topic that we could discuss over that beer). But you are so wrong to think it. And please know this: My entire family lives in Nashville and I love this city. Ask anybody who attends the urban planet meetings where my allegiance is and  she/he will tell you "Nashville."

Again, I have no problem with anybody who dislikes Memphis (or Nashville or any city) IF they are classy about it. However, some folks I've met in the past have been close-minded/rude/bombastic in their dislike of whatever city, whatever sports team, whatever political party, whatever religion. I have no tolerance for militant tribalism.

I guess my argument is simple: We are all rooting for Nashville. If Memphis, Chattanooga and Knoxville do well, Nashville indirectly benefits. We can be critical of those three cities, but we should want them to shine.

William Williams

• Like 3