Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

28 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Don’t get me started. They moved the NYE bash because they said security was a concern and they could not handle more than 100k downtown. Yet the crowds have never shown up at Bicentennial Mall and, yet, each year "we expect over 100,000 to come".

Attendance was announced at 159,000 yesterday

I think there was a political element to the move...if I remember correctly.  Not a "right/left" political element...but some type of local "scratch my back" element.  I may be wrong about that...but it seems there was something like that involved. 

34 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Don’t get me started. They moved the NYE bash because they said security was a concern and they could not handle more than 100k downtown. Yet the crowds have never shown up at Bicentennial Mall and, yet, each year "we expect over 100,000 to come".

Attendance was announced at 159,000 yesterday

Roger Goodell said 200,000 in attendance. THANK GOD the rain happened after everyone was there and the drone shots were taken. 

• Like 2

OK---I am continually frustrated with "officials" claiming attendance figures at large outdoor events and blowing them completely out of proportion.   There is simply no way that 159,000 people were in that footprint along Broadway between 5th Ave. and the Riverfront last night.  That would be like taking the entire population of Chattanooga and cramming it into that space.  My guess is it was maybe 70,000 tops--in other words, about the capacity of Nissan Stadium.  

Of course, then NFL Commissioner Goodell says it was 200,000.  Just stop!

When the Cubs had their victory parade in Chicago after winning the World Series a few years ago, it was estimated that the crowd was 5 million.  Complete bull crap.  And yet, somehow these figures get baked into the historical narrative.  In actuality it was probably around a million---which is still quite impressive.  

Don't get me wrong...I am thrilled over the moon with how well this event is going for Nashville.  But these numbers of 100,000 for New Years Eve at Bicentennial Mall, and 200,000 for the 4th of July downtown, etc. are just getting more and more ludicrous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, markhollin said:

OK---I am continually frustrated with "officials" claiming attendance figures at large outdoor events and blowing them completely out of proportion.   There is simply no way that 159,000 people were in that footrprint along Broadway between 5th Ave. and the Riverfront last night.  That would be like taking the entire population of Chattanooga and cramming it into that space.  My guess is it was maybe 70,000 tops--in other words, about the capacity of Nissan Stadium.  

When the Cubs had their victory parade in Chicago after winning the World Series a few years ago, it was estimated that the crowd was 5 million.  Complete bull crap.  And yet, somehow these figures get baked into the historical narrative.  In actuality it was probably around a million---which is still quite impressive.  

I couldn't agree more.  There were tons of people at the Cubs victory parade, but to claim that literally half of all the people in Metro Chicago showed up at the parade is completely laughable.  There probably aren't that many people here who are even fans of the sport of baseball.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, markhollin said:

OK---I am continually frustrated with "officials" claiming attendance figures at large outdoor events and blowing them completely out of proportion.   There is simply no way that 159,000 people were in that footrprint along Broadway between 5th Ave. and the Riverfront last night.  That would be like taking the entire population of Chattanooga and cramming it into that space.  My guess is it was maybe 70,000 tops--in other words, about the capacity of Nissan Stadium.  

completely agree. However, I am just glad the the event last night was deemed by everyone a complete success. And when the NFL Commissioner thinks he can inflate the crowd without the majority of people thinking BS, that's good. 

I watched ESPN all day yesterday and everyone was stating it was the best draft venue ever. 

• Like 3

lots of great shots. Even saw a complete panorama of dt and mt and Stadium from the north above the Cumberland. And the shots from the ped bridge last night were amazing with the colorful lights and the riverboat. Sorry for the bold font. My phone is cracking up.

• Like 1

Same here. Love NFL... my teams are Titans in AFC and Falcons in NFC... and ONLY reason I watched NFL Draft was to see Nashville on TV. Even then, I only peeked in about a half dozen times last night. I did get to see the hilarious outrage from NY Giants fans when Daniel Jones was picked. And of course, the NY dominated media this morning was talking about ONLY that. Geesh, as a Duke alum, I hope he has a great career... but for another team. That would be even funnier if they traded him and he went on to be the next Brees... or even Brady! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Salbato said:

Whiskey Jam Facebook post..

Nashville Tn Broadway St 1904

FB_IMG_1556390251001.jpg

I heard about this!  The ladies clogged the streets with scooters until they won the right to vote.  Our scooters should be protected to honor their part in history.