Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I know, right! That pie-piece at the Roundabout is just crying for something tall and significant. A 50+ story tower with a deco-revival design. A podium that (may need to start out as parking) that comes to the triangular point at the roundabout. Later can be converted to retail (hopeful).  Then a grayish glass tower rising from the base in the shape, reminiscent of Rockefeller center (30 Rock).  BB&S are you listening? 

• Like 4

On 4/26/2019 at 11:35 AM, titanhog said:

Thing is...no one can state with certainty what the number is.  But...I'll agree with the NFL's "159k" over Mark's "70k"...well...just because it's bigger. :D

Correct, no one can state the exact figure but 70K is not even close.  70K could easily be the number of people in bars and on rooftops along with behind the scenes people in trucks tents and production booths.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, MLBrumby said:

I know, right! That pie-piece at the Roundabout is just crying for something tall and significant. A 50+ story tower with a deco-revival design. A podium that (may need to start out as parking) that comes to the triangular point at the roundabout. Later can be converted to retail (hopeful).  Then a grayish glass tower rising from the base in the shape, reminiscent of Rockefeller center (30 Rock).  BB&S are you listening? 

I've often wondered what was Nashville thinking when it placed what appears to be a police precinct on KVB across from the MCC.  Not only should they have tried to keep that land for possible expansion of the MCC, someone should have had the vision that that land would be sought after for much better use (i.e. office building, hotel, condos, apartments).  Now, I guess the city could still include the property in a bid process and require that the police precinct be incorporated into a new design.  That would be a way to keep the presence but not have it appear so out of place.  Especially if a garage specific to the police cars is included.

Also, there's really no need for 7th Ave to remain intact next to the pie shaped property.  So, why not just include it in a land deal.  I'm assuming it probably will be.  I want to see something big developed in that area simply because I'm tired of seeing the back side of the MCC in all the pics taken from the south side of downtown.

On another note...So how long is it going to take for the NFL to pack up and return Nashville to normal?  Seems like just as much effort will have to go into dismantling as it did to erect everything.

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I've often wondered what was Nashville thinking when it placed what appears to be a police precinct on KVB across from the MCC.  Not only should they have tried to keep that land for possible expansion of the MCC, someone should have had the vision that that land would be sought after for much better use (i.e. office building, hotel, condos, apartments).  Now, I guess the city could still include the property in a bid process and require that the police precinct be incorporated into a new design.  That would be a way to keep the presence but not have it appear so out of place.  Especially if a garage specific to the police cars is included.

Also, there's really no need for 7th Ave to remain intact next to the pie shaped property.  So, why not just include it in a land deal.  I'm assuming it probably will be.  I want to see something big developed in that area simply because I'm tired of seeing the back side of the MCC in all the pics taken from the south side of downtown.

On another note...So how long is it going to take for the NFL to pack up and return Nashville to normal?  Seems like just as much effort will have to go into dismantling as it did to erect everything.

Don't know much about the precinct except that one of the subcontractors on the MCC constructed it.  They were already mobilized downtown the street, so it helped in their bid.  That, and they did a good job with MCC.

Nissan Stadium downtown parking lots wont be back to normal for another week and a half.  There is a car show this weekend that is also delaying things.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

That small police precinct building hugs up to a large NES substation that is disguised, but serves a big chunk of downtown, I believe.  

Right, and it was not built as a police precinct.    The location was chosen for the relocated NES substation (which NES had to move from Demonbreun because the former substation was in the footprint of the MCC) and the precinct took up residence in the substation outer shell.       It was not lost on anyone at the time (except maybe NES and MDHA) what a blundering shortsighted mistake it was to put the NES substation there occupying prime frontage on the grand redeveloped KVB.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Looking forward to what this vast industrial wasteland north of Nissan Stadium might look like a quarter century from now.  Courtesy of Nashville 360 Drone Study:

Nashville 360 Drone Study, Jan 25, 2019, 7.png

I was hoping the MLS stadium was going to be put there, but oh well. Just so thankful we got a team. 

• Like 1