Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

It was the beauty spot of that area. I enjoyed it for many years. The American idea is one of utilitarianism, and that has made us the richest nation in history. But we have destroyed our architectural heritage and now we have to pay thousands of dollars to travel to Europe in order to see the world as we wish it looked.

Edited by archilove
additional thoughts

Sometimes its crazy to think of how much development a city of Nashville's small size is having. I mean the metro area doesn't even have 2 million people yet, but there is still crazy growth and construction anywhere. I hope to see the metro area population reach 2 million in my lifetime, but with the slowing population growth it is unlikely.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

I thought metro Nashville was very, very close to 2 million or at 2 million already.

It is.  2018 MSA population - 1,930,961, up from 1,900,584 in 2017 and 1,866,873 in 2016.  It might not reach 2 million by the 2020 Census but it'll be awfully close.

• Like 2

That would mean that Nashville is growing slower than the census projections. And yet we are still convinced we are one of the fastest growing cities in America, when in fact we are one of the slowest. 

The boom will not continue and it has ended. I believe Nashville’s economy will always be very strong due to new relocations, but we will never be an Austin or Charlotte.

• Confused 4

You can't put too much stock into census estimates, as they're fed by local stats that are often out of date and/or not carefully tabulated. Wait till the real numbers come out in two years. They should show the metro area is within .5% over/under 2 million. Much evidence points to Davidson Co. population already is greater than 700K.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Sometimes its crazy to think of how much development a city of Nashville's small size is having. I mean the metro area doesn't even have 2 million people yet, but there is still crazy growth and construction anywhere. I hope to see the metro area population reach 2 million in my lifetime, but with the slowing population growth it is unlikely.

That would mean that Nashville is growing slower than the census projections. And yet we are still convinced we are one of the fastest growing cities in America, when in fact we are one of the slowest. 

The boom will not continue and it has ended. I believe Nashville’s economy will always be very strong due to new relocations, but we will never be an Austin or Charlotte.

The population of the Nashville Metro MSA is already very close to 2 million.  Check the stats.  If the adjacent Clarksville MSA is merged with Nashville, as many advocate, it’s significantly larger.  I would never call that a city/region of small size.  

To state that Nashville is one of the slowest growing cities in America is incorrect.  Nashville has always benefited from a broad and diverse economy, being the state capitol, and being the home of numerous excellent higher education/health care institutions.  The boom of the past 10 years may be slightly slowing, but it has certainly not ended.  

Furthermore, relocations alone are certainly not the reason the Nashville economy will always be strong.  Economic cycles naturally ebb and flow.  No, Nashville will never be an Austin, Charlotte, or anywhere else.  Why would we want to be?  It’s fine to compare our growth and development to similar peer cities, but Nashville is unique.

• Like 3

There are so many ways to measure the size of a city beyond MSA stats. Don't get me wrong, the MSA is a function of the commuting patterns that link the surrounding area to the central cities, but the draw on the region for entertainment, shopping, health concerns and professional services reaches well beyond the limits of the MSA.

An official with the City of Jackson, TN told me once (as I recall) the city had a census population of 60,000, but during the work day it had a population of 100,000. On weekends, the population could reach 150,000 and on Christmas week, 150,000+. Jackson is a regional city for west Tennessee provides urban amenities that far belie its census bureau stated size.

I wish I could find it again and have spent hours searching for it, but a decade or so ago I saw an article about the "Area of Economic Influence" of American cities. It determined the area based on a regional influence model where, as in Jackson, people in the AEI were strongly dependent on the central city for any number of services beyond just jobs. 

In this model, Nashville was ranked about 20th as it exerted a major economic  influence as far south as Chattanooga and Huntsville, AL and up into Kentucky. This assessment of the size of a city would explain to me why Nashville has the urban footprint and feel of a city far larger than 2,000,000.

• Like 2

It’s ok

To be honest I’m sort of depressed due to my health issues so that might be why I am being negative. Honestly I’m just confused as to why supposedly Nashville’s growth is slowing after the huge economic announcements we had last year. I mean the amazon hub in Nashville yards thing was so huge people on all different city forums in the country were talking about it. If anything nashville’s Growth should at least continue its pace if not get faster due to these things, and yet it’s going in the opposite direction. It doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 2

Hang in there. Besides, you're in London... why are you concerned with the rate of Nashville's growth? I assure you it's very healthy... so what if it doesn't exceed 2M by next year. It's a whisker away regardless. In fact, last month's NFL draft may have brought in enough people to tip the scales over that 'magic' number. Cities go through booms and bust. Nashville is nowhere near a bust. It's a lot steadier than those places you mention. They're examples of how cities can actually surrender character just to be like other bigger cities.

33 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

It’s ok

To be honest I’m sort of depressed due to my health issues so that might be why I am being negative. Honestly I’m just confused as to why supposedly Nashville’s growth is slowing after the huge economic announcements we had last year. I mean the amazon hub in Nashville yards thing was so huge people on all different city forums in the country were talking about it. If anything nashville’s Growth should at least continue its pace if not get faster due to these things, and yet it’s going in the opposite direction. It doesn’t make sense to me. 

Nashville's growth percentage the past 10 years has been near the top in the U.S. (not the very top...but not far behind).  We're still growing strong and only a few cities in the U.S. are growing faster (percentage-wise).  We're all good.  And...it will fluctuate.  IMO...very healthy growth.  Not too fast...not too slow.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

It’s ok

Sorry, this is both nonsense and illogical.  Nothing continues to grow at a constant rate. Everything rises and falls.  Nashville and the surrounding area are on a very positive track and solid positive growth continues, in fact its among the strongest growth rates of any US city and has been for quite a while. 

Edited by dxfret

Nashville's growth rate hasn't slowed significantly.  There will always be some year over year fluctuations.  As of 2019 it is the 9th fastest growing large Metro (1,000,000+ population) this decade.  It was #8 after last year's numbers came out.  But #7 Charlotte and #8 Phoenix are only ahead by about .3 % making it virtually a three way tie for #7. 

• Like 3