Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Heh, the city looked a thousand times better back back in the day. The view from the south just shows what a tragically located, block-eating monstrosity the MCC is. And what an awesome idea that Newtowner, Bzorch and Cdubb had to bury that urban black hole so a real city could be rebuilt on top. Let's hope that all these proposed hotels come on line and the MCC truly is an economic engine for the city.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where are some good locations to take pictures of the skyline as a whole? Since Downtown Nashville is right along the river there are few hills next to downtown to take good shots from. The only place I know of where I can take good skyline shots is the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge.

Where are some good locations to take pictures of the skyline as a whole? Since Downtown Nashville is right along the river there are few hills next to downtown to take good shots from. The only place I know of where I can take good skyline shots is the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge.

A few places are Love Circle in West Nashville, the Cumberland Science Museum, and the hill behind Belmont.

I remember that itsjust dave and a few of us were up there when those were being built. Yes we trespassed and went in the unfinished units. GREAT view for sure.. I think William was with us and maybe John.

Sounds like a good time. I am going to have to make it to a forum meet one day to meet all of you guys.

William and I were there. We rode in Dave's car. I recounted the story once before. We walked in one of the units because William just had to go inside! I kept saying this was private property! At this point there were only a couple of them built.

I've always thought those were some cool buildings. Their architecture remind me of the ones put up by the Onion Flats developers here in Philadelphia that have been wildly popular. Here's a link to their site: http://www.onionflats.com/#/Work/

They've been really good for a few areas of the city, moving in to the edge of the gentrified and revitalized neighborhoods and cleaning out abandoned or run down row homes to build nice, quality apartments.

Gentrification is a problem here and people have a $500,000+ home in the middle of homes valued at $25,000-$40,000. There is issue on where these people are going to go. This is a case of a grand idea not being a very smart one. You are still reliant on your car, your above the throughway, there is no place to walk too, the skyline view is nice, but still in the distance, and there is not going to be any mixed use in the immediate vicinity anytime soon. The goal of city living is to be in walking distance and not dependent on a car.

Gentrification is a problem here and people have a $500,000+ home in the middle of homes valued at $25,000-$40,000. There is issue on where these people are going to go. This is a case of a grand idea not being a very smart one. You are still reliant on your car, your above the throughway, there is no place to walk too, the skyline view is nice, but still in the distance, and there is not going to be any mixed use in the immediate vicinity anytime soon. The goal of city living is to be in walking distance and not dependent on a car.

Yeah, Nashville's gentrification has been odd, to say the least. These are cool buildings, with an interesting spot and cool view, but not doing anything to alleviate the real problems of automobile reliance. They look modern and "green" (to use a word I hate), but they don't do anything of substance without a mixed use development coming along near them.

As for the group I linked to, I'm not suggesting that their strategy would work here. They take blighted properties in areas that are on the verge of a neighborhoods seeing a renaissance, and turn them into something that's not a rat infested crack house, which the city is unfortunately not in a shortage of.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see an "11North" thread, but rather than create one, I will post these photos here.

I think they provide some context as to their urban feel and location so close to downtown. This is a 300 +/- apartment unit under construction at 11th Ave and Charlotte Pike in what is known as the 'North Gulch' about four blocks from the State Capitol Building (Can we say Legislative/Lobbyist party rooms?).

It is not in the best of neighborhoods, but it is getting better. And it is just across the street from where a club used to be where Jimmi Hendrix got his start (Nashville is more than country music, folks!).

A rendering;

nashville-apartments-for-rent.jpg

A view with the skyline;

11NSkyline.jpg

A view from Charlotte Pike

11Nstreetview.jpg

A view from the Church Street Viaduct.

11NViaductview.jpg

And this is only Phase 1!

• Like 1

Its amazing how cheap and shortsighted developers are. I mean, just spend the extra money to make the whole building brick!!!!

Yes, but the extra money to make it all brick, and the extra money to build some of these more solid steel frame buildings will be passed along to the people buying or renting these places.

I tend to agree, from a sort of utopian design perspective, that we should strive for more unique designs and better construction...but that comes at a cost. There are plenty of proposals for higher rent apartments currently in the works...but what about for the average citizen? I think urban living should be an option for everyone...and not just having those of us with less income having to settle for some old decrepit rat hole in a shady area. :)

The truth is, while we want all of our urban infill projects to be significant, that's just not going to happen. We need these "average" developments to ensure that our young professionals, college students, artists, and other budget conscious folks have an option in our urban neighborhoods.

11 North isn't pretty...but it's good infill. We need some of those for every Viridian, Adelicia, Icon, and Terrazo out there. Get the ball rolling. I have a feeling that as more options become available downtown, we'll see an avalanche of new construction that will put what we are currently geeking out about to shame! :thumbsup:

As for the developers...they have to make their money, too. We can't expect them to build without profit in mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What all do they have planned there? I keep hearing about turning storage space into entertainment venues... what's that all about?

The renovation down at LP Field involves the installation of new HD video scoreboards, LED ribbon boards, new sound system, and 12 new elevators to the upper decks.

Construction progress video:

http://www.titansonl...f3-a7ea49475253

Photos:

http://www.titansonl...90-ac354284d212

Edited by James Owen