Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

9 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The Arcade is one of Nashville's hidden gems.

Image result for nashville arcade

I agree 100%.  Hope it stays forever.  I remember the smell of roasted nuts from one of the stores that used to be located there.  My parents also took me to an optometrist that used to be located on the second level of arcade.  I've always  wished they would do away with the metal roll down doors at each end and replace them with some type of glass doors to make it more appealing at street level when it is closed.   Is there any signage for the arcade on either end?  I don't remember.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^I've only been in there once, about 20 years ago.  Remind me what all is inside?

Many luncheon restaurants with a variety of foods, including excellent and genuine New York pizza. A Planters peanut shop, an old shoe repair store, an old watch repair store,  an old style shoeshine stand, and a post office. There once were an art gallery and art studio upstairs, but I'm not sure if they are still there. There are tables and chairs in the concourse where you can eat your food. It is like being in a time machine.

Edited by archilove
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2019 at 6:27 AM, Binbin98 said:

Sometimes its crazy to think of how much development a city of Nashville's small size is having. I mean the metro area doesn't even have 2 million people yet, but there is still crazy growth and construction anywhere. I hope to see the metro area population reach 2 million in my lifetime, but with the slowing population growth it is unlikely.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:12 PM, chris holman said:

Got this from google not sure If its right or not 

Screenshot_2019-05-12-12-04-16.png

Stats can be misleading. Nashville is a metropolitan government and counts the population of all of Davidson County as city population. Atlanta does not count all of Fulton County as its city population.

14 minutes ago, archilove said:

Stats can be misleading. Nashville is a metropolitan government and counts the population of all of Davidson County as city population. Atlanta does not count all of Fulton County as its city population.

It is not an apples-to-apples comparison because Nashville's "city limits" span far more square miles than those of Atlanta and Memphis.

13 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

This post gives me deja vu to the post immediately preceding it, which literally opened with "stats can be misleading."

It also gives me deja vu to about three weeks ago when y'all discussed the exact same issue ad nauseum.  

Pretty sure we've been discussing this for 10+ years on here. :rofl:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

I love The Arcade, though I wish the owners would give it a little TLC because it's looking a bit run down these days.  

I honestly don't mind that it's a bit worn around the edges.  Does everything downtown have to be new and shiny?  The minute the owners renovate it, I'm afraid the added cost would force some of the long-time tenants to leave.   I may be totally wrong, but I imagine it's too expensive to lease space anywhere else downtown for things like a watch repair shop or a peanut store.  The Arcade is like the last vestige of Old Nashville that hasn't been honkey tonked to death.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I honestly don't mind that it's a bit worn around the edges.  Does everything downtown have to be new and shiny?  The minute the owners renovate it, I'm afraid the added cost would force some of the long-time tenants to leave.   I may be totally wrong, but I imagine it's too expensive to lease space anywhere else downtown for things like a watch repair shop or a peanut store.  The Arcade is like the last vestige of Old Nashville that hasn't been honkey tonked to death.

Oh I agree completely... I'm not saying it should be completely renovated with high end shops or anything... I just meant that it seems like it could use some repairs and a coat of paint and maybe a new redesigned awning out front.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Long term issues will need to be addressed.  Apparently there are significant infrastructure problems (rotting wooden beams, rusting pipes, bad electric circuitry, etc.) that will only get worse with each passing year.  Some investor will need to do a complete overhaul if it is to last for any serious length of time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Long term issues will need to be addressed.  Apparently there are significant infrastructure problems (rotting wooden beams, rusting pipes, bad electric circuitry, etc.) that will only get worse with each passing year.  Some investor will need to do a complete overhaul if it is to last for any serious length of time. 

That is a shame.  I hope whoever does it is able to do so without chasing out the small, mom-and-pop shops that have helped make the Arcade so charming.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, markhollin said:

This is true.   I've talked to some of the tenants who say the landlord really does the bare minimum in terms of maintenance.    Dosa Hut (the only Indian restaurant we had downtown, outside of Farmers Mkt) had leaking pipes that caused them to have to be closed some days.  They eventually pulled out.      Many of the tenants accept the maintenance issues in exchange for keeping the rent down.  

• Like 1