Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

18 hours ago, Native said:

Pinnacle is still a handsome tower.

IMG_1876.thumb.jpg.329b5d874fb5caa61d067d1cb5daf96f.jpg

While I agree that the Pinnacle has its handsome moments, my opinion of it has actually declined over the years.

Generally, its massing and lighting look a bit off.  It seems short and squatty for how grand and high-end of a look they were going for with the materials and the taper up to the crown. It would look great if it were about 100ft taller and then had that taper and crown.

Also, the way they light it is... weird. The crown is lit (very brightly) from within, but the accent lighting on the rest of the exterior is very dim or non-existent. As a result, you lose the grand taper effect at night and the crown just looks like a giant floating glowing box in the sky .

Edited by NashWellington11
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NashWellington11 said:

But of course any crown is better than the rusty steel beams on top of the Polk state office building. For the first 5 years I lived here I thought it was under construction.  :tw_joy: You can imagine my shock and disappointment when I found out it was completed in 1981 and it was designed that way. 

james-k-polk-state-office-building_nathaniel-lindsey1.thumb.jpg.f1f5f1bb520ff7bb9433e2af71612be1.jpg

I think that this and the Renaissance are my two least favorite highrises in the city. This one in particular is just hideous to me, from the wonky, top-heavy base to the "crown" that looks more like an anbandoned oil rig, I just think that it's horrible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henburg said:

I think that this and the Renaissance are my two least favorite highrises in the city. This one in particular is just hideous to me, from the wonky, top-heavy base to the "crown" that looks more like an anbandoned oil rig, I just think that it's horrible. 

Think of how much improvement it would be if they placed a skin over those exposed beams and had LED lighting installed.  Would suddenly look like a decent structure.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Think of how much improvement it would be if they placed a skin over those exposed beams and had LED lighting installed.  Would suddenly look like a decent structure.

TPAC and Polk Building not getting much love from the group tonight.  I am sure the architects thought they were being clever to let the public see the girders from which the rest of the tower was hung.  This would be an example of "too much information" from a design standpoint.  Of course they did it so there would be no columns in the main theater but I agree with titanhog that a screen and some lights would be more attractive.

As for the  Pinnacle I am sure Terry Turner and his cohorts will wish for that extra 100 feet when the Four Seasons Hotel and Condos towers over the bank building.  But we have to remember when that one was built.  A 500 footer would have been bold indeed during the Great Recession.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Native said:

TPAC and Polk Building not getting much love from the group tonight.  I am sure the architects thought they were being clever to let the public see the girders from which the rest of the tower was hung.  This would be an example of "too much information" from a design standpoint.  Of course they did it so there would be no columns in the main theater but I agree with titanhog that a screen and some lights would be more attractive.

As for the  Pinnacle I am sure Terry Turner and his cohorts will wish for that extra 100 feet when the Four Seasons Hotel and Condos towers over the bank building.  But we have to remember when that one was built.  A 500 footer would have been bold indeed during the Great Recession.

I just wish they had LED lights on the Pinnacle that would actually change colors.  The white / yellow light gets kinda old, especially considering many other buildings (including Batman) have lights that change colors.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NashWellington11 said:

But of course any crown is better than the rusty steel beams on top of the Polk state office building. For the first 5 years I lived here I thought it was under construction.  :tw_joy: You can imagine my shock and disappointment when I found out it was completed in 1981 and it was designed that way. 

james-k-polk-state-office-building_nathaniel-lindsey1.thumb.jpg.f1f5f1bb520ff7bb9433e2af71612be1.jpg

I miss the lights. The top used to be lit up purple and a few other colors

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

5) Finally you guys should start a fund to incorporate "NASHVILLE" spelled across the walkway bridges  over the interstate near Jefferson Street and crossing over into Rutledge Hill.  It's a visual that would be welcoming to visitors and bring some life to those structures.  The same could be done to the I-440 bridge over I-65.

What bridges are you referring to?

14 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

You mean like the "KNOXVILLE" sign on I-40 heading into downtown Knoxville from the east?  I think it's pretty cool.  I don't know if this was TDOT's idea or if it was Knoxville's idea.  Either way, I agree that something like this would be neat for Nashville.

image.thumb.png.029a34406fe8a7a6d240bcbdfb154974.png

I also like this one while entering downtown Knoxville from I-275:

image.png.86e2719cb98858d42827e30ca1b14da8.png

That's somewhat the idea.  I like that too and I could see that type of signage  in some areas.   But I was thinking more along the lines of what I've seen in Orlando...

image.png.22412226779dfdf5442626ec28b4b23c.png

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 2