Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

The only way to solve this is for someone to stand at the top of both building and dangle a 500' tape measure off the side.  Who volunteers?  Anyone?  Anyone? 

In 1978 I was with some guys who rigged a 500 foot rope on the antenna atop the L&C Tower and we rappelled and climbed it several times.  That building is a bona fide 409 feet.  The Fifth Third building (formerly SunTrust) is uphill from there and claims to be 490 feet tall.  I have serious doubts but I am too old to rig it now.  Maybe someone who visits this website can use an instrument that will measure accurate height from the ground.  Seems it would be important to get things right if we can.  Then our moderator can communicate with Wikipedia.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PHofKS said:

A year or two ago I measured the heights of some buildings using tools available on Google Earth. I first measured the L&C Tower and the AT&T tower to see how accurate it was and found it to be accurate within a foot per published information. Here are the other buildings mentioned in the above posts...

40682716991_39bf2e1b8c_z.jpg

And...

40682717221_fa3a850c32_z.jpg

Outstanding!  That's what I was looking for.  Let's hear it for PHofKS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

That's easier said than done from my understanding.

Wikipedia is VERY easily edited. The issue is you need a verifiable source to cite or the mods will eventually delete it.

As much as we all appreciate the hard work and skills of @PHofKS and the wonders of Google Earth. Unfortunately, this forum is not enough to cite for Wiki standards.

Now if, say, the Post were to do an article even just speculating that there appears to be a height discrepancy... that could be cited on Wikipedia. :tw_wink:

Edited by NashWellington11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NashWellington11 said:

Wikipedia is VERY easily edited. The issue is you need a verifiable source to cite or the mods will eventually delete it.

As much as we all appreciate the hard work and skills of @PHofKS and the wonders of Google Earth. Unfortunately, this forum is not enough to cite for Wiki standards.

Now if, say, the Post were to do an article even just speculating that there appears to be a height discrepancy... that could be cited on Wikipedia. :tw_wink:

I believe Emporis is cited as an official source, what's needed to edit height numbers down at Emporis?

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

^That last picture is gorgeous... looks like the Amazon or something.  And I can only speak for myself here, but part of the reason I want Nashville to be densely developed is so that the beautiful pristine wilderness that still (for now) surrounds the city, such as that in the photo, is spared and preserved.  It is a treasure!  

Some like to complain about the more rural parts of Davidson County. I thank God for those portions that remain undeveloped for the recreational opportunities they afford, and for the oxygen generation from all those beautiful trees. The city folk & country folk really should get along, eh?

• Like 3