Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Long time reader; first time poster. Obviously, all of the contributors here really know the city inside and out and I've always appreciated the updates and commentary.

With that said, I'm curious about what apartment sites still exist in the urban core that remain undeveloped. Honest and full disclosure: I'm an out-of-state developer looking for premier, institutional quality multifamily development opportunities in the city. The ideal site is 2 acres or more that could accommodate 200+ units that is within walking distance to desirable amenities (nightlife, restaurants, retail, office space, universities, etc). Y'all know the type....basically, what everyone else is looking to find. It's very apparent to me that the folks on this board know the city better than anyone, so any ideas, thoughts or leads would be tremendously appreciated.

Please excuse my ignorance if it is inappropriate to make this type of inquiry. Thanks!

Welcome! I can't imagine anyone will fault someone looking for development advice here. In fact, I think most people would love having direct input! I know I do.

As dmills said above, the three best individuals to help you out will be ESU, MTSU, and SmeagolsFree. Unfortunately, while I would love to give input on it, I am currently out of town, and do not know the most up-to-date status of each lot. If you can put together a list of properties you're interested in, I think you could get some great input on location, desireability, the "vibe" of the neighborhood, and other intangibles that maps and property data can't tell you.

Please let me add my welcome to the board. Again, I do not know the ownership status of individual lots, but I have a few ideas.

One area that could benefit from some apartments is in the downtown area north of the state capitol. I am thinking here of those weed-overgrown, chain-link-fence enclosed blocks on the downtown side of Jefferson between maybe 3rd and 5th. These are ripe for development and are in walking distance to the state capital and state office buildings (employment), but also within walking distance of the restaurants in Germantown, the Bicentennial Mall State Park (including the Farmer's Market), as well as the Davidson County Courthouse (employment), the Civic Square and 2nd Ave entertainment district.

Another area that could benefit from some large apartment developments include the 700-800 blocks of Woodland Street in East Nashville. These blocks are on the north side of Woodland Street, are within walking distance of Titans Stadium, Downtown (again, 2nd Ave) as well as the Five Points entertainment area of East Nashville, and are across the street from East Park and Community Center. If the East-West Connector BRT gets built, there would be a stop right behind these buildings on Main Street that would take residents downtown, to Vanderbilt University, through Midtown, and all the way to Belle Meade.

Those are my suggestions, but I am sure that there are others.

• Like 1

^ Great suggestions! Those blocks on Main Street & Woodland Street between Five Points and downtown are ripe for development. I would also think some of the parking lots and under-developed parcels in Midtown along Hayes or Church Street would be smart investments. They would also be a short walk to the proposed East-West Connector as well.

A few snaps of cranes and ongoing construction from Nashville's West End-Mid Town area; but first, a couple of pictures to let those viewing who are unfamiliar with Nashville see what Mid Town is like;

From 22nd and West End looking toward downtown, about two miles away: the proposed rapid transit/

BRT line will go down the middle of the street.

August2012009.jpg

and looking West. Again, picture the BRT line.

August2012019.jpg

Elliston 23 is a 300 unit apartment and retail development which will really change the character of Elliston Place, one block north of West End.

Ellistonx.jpg

The construction pic.

August2012004.jpg

Homewood Suites will be an eight story hotel across from Vanderbilt providing some mid-rise density to Mid Town..(I have no rendering)

August2012014.jpg

West End Village is a couple of blocks off West End in a more multi-family residential area.

WEVillage.jpg

Several hundred units will be provided.

August2012022.jpg

And Vanderbilt’s new Kissam Center will make a bold statement regarding Vanderbilt’s presence and importance in our city with its distinct Ivy League architecture.

August2012008.jpg

The rendering;

Vandyx.jpg

Park 25 has completed demolition and extensive utility work. Construction should start soon. It will overlook Centennial Park much like you see all the apartment buildings surrounding Central Park in New York (on a much smaller scale of course)

Park25x.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 3

Welcome to the board MLP09. Please shoot me an email if you want to at some point as there area lot of areas some of us would love to see developed. If you are ever in town I am sure we can arrange a tour as well. There is a lot of construction going on at the present with a whole lot more being discussed under the radar.

One aera I would love to see redeveloped is in the midtown area off of Church. There is property that could easily be redeveloped and zoning would not be much of an issue. This is the area that Midtown Bell is in. Close to downtown, the Gulch and hospitals and universities. I have been wanting to see this redeveloped for a while.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier inquiry.....all very good insights and I appreciate y'all taking the time to offer up your thoughts. Thanks!

Specifically, East Nashville is definitely an area that I've been trying to focus on and learn more about. Woodland and Main within walking distance to Five Points seems to be an under-served area for 'Class A' apartments. It's great to get reassurance from the feedback that I'm at least looking around the right places. I also agree that north of the capital is prime redevelopment land. Unfortunately, my equity partner acts on behalf of a very large institutional fund that definitely lacks the pioneering spirit that most developers (like myself) have, which I think would make that area a tough fit for us. Nonetheless, I think there is a good opportunity over there to do something very impactful and transformative for that side of the city.

Smeagolsfree, I'd definitely welcome the opportunity to talk in further detail and hopefully get together next time I'm back in town. Can you get me your email address? Embarrassingly, I can't seem to locate it within the board. My permissions are restricted and won't allow personal messenger or contact look ups. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, so please excuse my ineptitude.....big time newb to the message board world.

Looks like it's from Florida. That was a joke about the area around Vandy back when I was there. Students' parents made traffic around 21st and West End a cluster-you-know-what at the beginning of the school year. Most were from out of town and didn't have a friggin' clue about where to go. Sane locals found alternative ways to get where they were going.

Edited by MLBrumby

MLP09, if you click the avatar, the option to send a message is there. Not sure about the under-5 post limit before being able to send PMs.

As far as developing on the East side, I like the idea. I have actually been looking for a large enough lot for an idea that a partner and I have but haven't had much success finding what we need. I wish you luck, and, when you're in town I'd be happy to join you and Ron, if possible.

Welcome to the board MLP09. Please shoot me an email if you want to at some point as there area lot of areas some of us would love to see developed. If you are ever in town I am sure we can arrange a tour as well. There is a lot of construction going on at the present with a whole lot more being discussed under the radar.

One aera I would love to see redeveloped is in the midtown area off of Church. There is property that could easily be redeveloped and zoning would not be much of an issue. This is the area that Midtown Bell is in. Close to downtown, the Gulch and hospitals and universities. I have been wanting to see this redeveloped for a while.

This was the exact area I was thinking about. It seems like a slam dunk to me. Honestly, I am a bit surprised there hasn't been more activity in this area of Midtown since Bell Midtown was built given the walkability and the proximity to so many amenities. There's a parking lot at Church and 20th across from Baptist Hospital practically begging to be developed with some street-level retail.

Edited by ariesjow

Wow. All of you guys are great for keeping fresh pictures in this thread! As a lifelong Nashvillian who has been away for 2 years, it's great to be able to actually SEE all of these projects I read about. It's amazing how much has changed in the past two years. Next time I'm home (which will likely be at least another year) its going to be so different!

Thanks again!