Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

My late uncle who attended Vandy during the early 1960s used to talk about a problem with the Silliman Evans bridge with angle of its ramp. Instead of being slanted inward on the curve it was too flat. And that caused several cars to go over the side. I always thought he was just smoking something, but seeing those photos reminded me of that. Also, do you know the guy hanging from the bridge personally or was he well-known in town? But the bigger question, why? Or is that an optical illusion (like jumping up from a spot much closer than the bridge in the background)? Looks real... his forearms appear to cast a shadow on the concrete edge. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

There was a spectacular accident on the Silliman Evans bridge in the early 70's. A car packed with about eight people in it hit the curb in a median causing the car to vault over the railing a fall 90 ft. or so to the ground below killing all the passengers. Not long afterwards the bridge was almost completely demolished and rebuilt to be much more safe.

Note: As the bridge was being rebuilt and I-24/65 was closed, famed movie director Robert Altman, who was making the movie 'Nashville' used the closed section to film a spectacular multi-car crash at the beginning of the movie. The scene is here 22 seconds in to 45 seconds. There are other scenes from the movie in the rest of the video. I don't know if it has objectional content, so watch beyond the crash scene at your own discretion.

Fascinating! And you have an outstanding memory.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HAR7402.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

My late uncle who attended Vandy during the early 1960s used to talk about a problem with the Silliman Evans bridge with angle of its ramp. Instead of being slanted inward on the curve it was too flat. And that caused several cars to go over the side. I always thought he was just smoking something, but seeing those photos reminded me of that. Also, do you know the guy hanging from the bridge personally or was he well-known in town? But the bigger question, why? Or is that an optical illusion (like jumping up from a spot much closer than the bridge in the background)? Looks real... his forearms appear to cast a shadow on the concrete edge. 

I should add that if your uncle went to Vandy in the early 60's he was a classmate of my daredevil friend.  Also, I admire the attention to detail that prompted your question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1