Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Downtown looking east, 1940.

1940 aerial of downtown looking east x.png

Is that open lot at bottom center of the photo where land was being cleared for the 'new' National Life building. It was a beautiful art-deco building that the fools demolished sometime around 1980 to replace with a parking lot for executives.  That was the way the 'old guard' of Nashville thinks. 

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Downtown looking east, 1940.

1940 aerial of downtown looking east x.png

The "old  guard of Nashville" demolished a lot more than the old National Life Building as MLBrumby commented.  Mark's photo of Nashville 1940 is prety much the same as when I was born in early 1947...there was practically no constructionduring the war and little in 1946,.   I thought I would show in green everything that has been demolished since I was born.  Even a bunch of streets have disappeared.  I did color by accident St. Ann's across from the State ofice building and the front of the ben west Building .  The interstate, James Robinson Pkwy and the Mall wiped out massive acerage, but private development did even more.

IMG_20200305_203212857.jpg

Edited by Baronakim
Corrected comment.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Courtesy of Richard Byington:

Richard Byington, Jan 30, 2020 x.png

The quality of the shot is great.  But that angle is the most unflattering view of Nashville (and the one most seen in backdrops on the news channels).  Looks like Nashville has about four bldgs.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Plasticman said:

The quality of the shot is great.  But that angle is the most unflattering view of Nashville (and the one most seen in backdrops on the news channels).  Looks like Nashville has about four bldgs.  

The picture is good, for sure... but you’re right. That angle is horribly overused. Thanks a lot, Seigenthaler Bridge... :tw_unamused:

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Sky 5, Jan, 2020, 14 x.png

When I was about three In the late 60s the L&C stood alone as the only high rise.  I remember my parents taking us to the observatory and it seemed so tall to me. You could see forever.  I just wish the letters would change with the weather forecast again.

Edited by Plasticman
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Here’s how it worked: Red lights meant rain or snow were on the way, blue meant clear weather, and pink was for cloudy skies.

Cool! The Old Hancock Building in Boston uses a similar color code on its weather beacon. I believe it's still operational.

"Steady blue, clear view
Flashing blue, clouds due
Steady red, storms ahead
Flashing red, snow instead"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AsianintheNations said:

Cool! The Old Hancock Building in Boston uses a similar color code on its weather beacon. I believe it's still operational.

"Steady blue, clear view
Flashing blue, clouds due
Steady red, storms ahead
Flashing red, snow instead"

Can't forget that during baseball season (because of the small chance for snow), flashing red meant that the Red Sox game was cancelled due to weather

• Like 2
  • Haha 1