Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

^

The whole design of the thing is really terrible. Graffiti aside, the approach and angle heading away from the Gulch is such that any random lapse in attention as you crest the bridge will take you right into the bollards. I think they are replaced pretty regularly, but every other time I drive through they seem to have been freshly destroyed again by some inattentive (or worse) driver passing through.

13 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

^

The whole design of the thing is really terrible. Graffiti aside, the approach and angle heading away from the Gulch is such that any random lapse in attention as you crest the bridge will take you right into the bollards. I think they are replaced pretty regularly, but every other time I drive through they seem to have been freshly destroyed again by some inattentive (or worse) driver passing through.

Actually saw this happen.    About a month ago, I was riding my bike over the connector using the bike lane (elevated shared pedestrian/bike path protected by bollards) and came upon a woman who had just driven her car up and over the bollards and took out a light pole.    :tw_grimace:    She was fine and seemed embarrassed, but her car was a mess as were about 4 bollards and the light pole.     Not sure if she was distracted trying to catch a glimpse of the skyline or what.     Definitely a lapse in attention.                

29 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Actually saw this happen.    About a month ago, I was riding my bike over the connector using the bike lane (elevated shared pedestrian/bike path protected by bollards) and came upon a woman who had just driven her car up and over the bollards and took out a light pole.    :tw_grimace:    She was fine and seemed embarrassed, but her car was a mess as were about 4 bollards and the light pole.     Not sure if she was distracted trying to catch a glimpse of the skyline or what.     Definitely a lapse in attention.                

Oh you know she was probably just on instagram.  haha

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Snodgrass Tower, March, 2020 x.png

Shell Oil beat you to it. Or should we say Skidmore Owings & Merril. The above (1968) was a good practice run for these by the same firm:

One Shell Plaza Houston 1971 50 stories:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v3xbcs3504ftrjd_PzxOTV7Z7MioT8us

One Shell Square New 0rleans 1972 51 stories: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=138lfpbJ8gjo3UbOV20ou9cXA7po6wQn0

The Houston building has splayed out base and the NO building (city's tallest) does not from what I can tell, correct me otherwise. The NO building was recently renamed Hancock Whitney Tower, the merging of a Mississippi bank and a New Orleans one (I have an account with them from Bank of Houston days). Some of the Royal Dutch Shell operation in NO was moved to Houston, but Shell's deepwater operation still employ ~1000 in the NO tower.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

An impressive screenshot from the Broadwest video @chris holman shared.

image.thumb.png.9c6062ac9549fbfb0739d4beaaa85d22.png

One thing I love about the skyline is how dense it's starting to look viewing the city from the west but since all the construction has filled the city's empty lots in the city core even  looks amazing looking from the river.  

• Like 3