Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

On 5/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, MLBrumby said:

Based on the years that specific buildings were completed, I'd guess that picture is from 1973.  Is that yellow building in the center foreground still standing? What was it?  But look how barren the area was that's now Metro Center.

The First American National Bank Bldg, 28 stories on the far right (UBS Tower), was announced in spring '72, when I was a couple of weeks away from graduation from VU. I assume the page of skyscrapers date of 1974 correct.   Since the National Life bldg (Snodgrass) had topped out in '68,  and the last one to complete, it was kind of exciting for the city to get a new (my preferred cutoff of 18+) tower announced 4 years later. (a 17 story state office bldg had gone up in between.) BTW  never mentioned it on here before but there were these handsome old stately townhouses across from the former Kissam Quadrangle, at the NW corner of West End and 21st, for about a block west, and about a half block north on 21st where Lowes hotel is, with some businesses on the ground floors.  The last few of years of their life,  students had rented the upper floor apartments of those buildings and I visited sometimes. Everyone knew they were coming down and at the same time First American tower was announced there was another tentative project announced, a 31 story hotel, cylindrical tower footprint for where the Lowes is now. Supposedly several years away, and like many, it got scaled back. My 3rd and final Nashville residency ended in '75 and I don't know when that hotel actually got built but I know of another exciting project that got started in '75 and it was the downtown thermal plant, representing the future in environmental /conservation  thinking.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

^ Why is the capitol surrounded by a surface parking lot? I know it's been that way for a long time, but seeing it from directly above just reinforces what an affront to civic life and democracy it is

Providing a place for cars to gather rather than people... seems like Tennessee's M.O. to me.  

• Like 1

Regarding the Rise of Nashville... I was dismayed by the news today that Nashville is being positioned as the alternative to Charlotte for the GOP convention... not that I'm picking a side here. It's because I simply don't think political conventions are anything to get in a hot fever over... for the past 30 years they've been  little more than an arena with (maybe) one special feature on the ( 'great' __________ plug food, culture, music, feel, all-of-the-above place) host city. Nashville doesn't need that cloying coverage.  That alone would be ok, but the cost of security, traffic management, and disruption to the daily life downtown just doesn't seem 'worth it' to me.  Now certain other cities may feel a need to host a convention for that reason, but NOT our Nashville. I still think the GOP (aka POTUS Trump) is merely playing one city against the other (or state vs. state)... and Charlotte (I hope) will end up hosting the convention. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

Today this morning from Facebook Sky5. 

AF229133-5BC9-4F66-BD4B-8A14091CE0DA.jpeg

There used to be a whole block of business buildings in the area between the Snodgrass and 7th (between Charlotte & Union), including the original National Life & Accident Building (photo below) where WSM Radio broadcast from (which should've been made a museum), all demolished by the '80s. There's no reason for that massive and empty plaza (and parking lot across from the old library where the NL&A Building was. That section should be acquired by a developer and Nashville's tallest could go there.

NATIONAL-LIFE-ACCIDENT-INSURANCE-COMPANY

• Like 4