Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Just now, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ Go ahead and try to make that argument (as beautiful a concept as it is) with the folks who own the ServiceSource Tower.   ; )

Perhaps the Millennium folks (current Maxwell House owners) together with the city could make them an offer they couldn't refuse!

The unknown factor of course is the Economy and whether Service Source could find cheaper accomodations now that more people are working at home and office space is becoming more readily available-everything pretty much depends on that.

The Chamber of Commerce and the CVB (Butch Spyridon) have got to become cheerleaders for this.....

2 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I’m afraid that having Maxwell House Hotel back at 4th & Church is as big a “pipe dream” as Nashville seeing a return of Opryland! (Both great dreams. Neither one likely to ever come true.)

It makes economic sense in a way that Opryland coming back wouldn't- Opryland was replaced with Opry Mills in order to give Gaylord shareholders a greater return on their investment-Opry Mills is open all year where Opryland wasn't-that's the difference.

The Maxwell House would be a year round attraction with a Maxwell House Cafe and gift shops which could run holiday specials featuring old Nashville favorites such as Nashville Spice Round among other things.

The Maxwell House at Fourth and Church could be an economic boost just when downtown Nashville needs it.

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Isn’t ( and wasn’t it the case since it was built) the hermitage a grander hotel than the maxwell house was?

If the Maxwell House was ever a grand hotel, it wasn't I don't think when it burned, based on the certainty they would have installed a sprinkler system. BTW the Maxwell House was home to a substantial contingent of downtown residents. Imagine at that time losing evrything and maybe not able to find another residence in your downtown. Another story of stupidity  and lack of foresight kind of like when the legislature chose not to acquire the Polk Mansion for the governors residence. They just did not conceive of the idea of tourism as an industry important to Tennessee and preserving all of the architectural attractions.

You guys that missed the completion of my previous post, I had to interrupt to go back to bed at 5:00, but the Teddy Roosevelt story is told on the 100th anniversary coffee can (pictured) that I bought in Houston a few miles from where it was made (pictured). As with all things, the coffee plant lifetime is over unfortunately, just does not have the tourist draw of an old hotel or president's home. Apparently  (from coffee can) there was a radio show named "The Maxwell House Showboat" during the depression.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

When I see photos of the Centennial Exposition I wish more of those buildings could have been maintained or rebuilt to be permanent structures like the Parthenon.  It would have made for a fantastic park that could have included art galleries, performing art studios, exhibition/event halls and cafes.

Unfortunately, most of those buildings at those fairs and expositions were made of plaster. Good enough for temporary usage and to impress visitors, but not built to last. Those buildings still would've had to be torn down and built from scratch with substantial materials. Expensive proposition. I believe the Parthenon we see in the 1897 photo is not really the same building there today. Had it been left "as is", it would've looked like the one at the Acropolis in Athens (ruins) before long.

It's unfortunate they didn't also reconstruct the pyramid nearby. It was used to showcase African (Black) progress in the country to that point.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PHofKS said:

As I understand, this district has been re-zoned to allow ''Gulch-like" development, so we should see a dramatic transformation there.  Smeagol mentioned there is a lot of real estate activity going on there now. It would also be a great place for a baseball stadium.

BTW, I call this district the Driftwood District named after the road that serves it. No one else calls it that, but they should.

I personally like the name Omohundro, after the pumping station.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1