Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

35 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

For those of us that drool over the rapidly changing Nashville skyline, I would harken back to the early 1960s when there was only the L&C tower.   Here is a photo the older folks among us will remember...now a sea of surface parking for too many decades, damn it.   Hmm.  Capitol hill has acquired a few trees and state offices since too.

Isn't that view from the south looking north? So it's actually now James Robertson Parkway and the wonderful Bicentennial Mall State Park. The sea of surface parking is to the west. And I'm also glad they planted trees on that hill. I wonder if it stood bald like that since they were cleared during the Civil War?

Wow.   The Holiday Inn was before my time in Nashville.  I'm guessing more than a few state legislators dined on the Iron Gate Steak, lol.   If I have the perspective correct, the Holiday Inn was where the Andrew Johnson state office tower sits today at the intersection of James Robertson Pkwy and Rosa Parks.      The cut through street with the huge retaining wall was throwing me.   That was evidently removed at some point and filled in with landscaping.    I'm guessing it was the former Gay St. , which today has only a fragment remaining in front of the Capitol Towers (visible at the left edge of the photo).  

Here's the current view. 

image.thumb.png.803145d9d25f6296dd920111649e568f.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Ironically, I really like the architecture of some of these buildings!

Me, too.    Some tumble down shacks for sure, but also a striking number of very nice Victorian era churches, houses and retail buildings.    It's a shame the city/state could not have been more selective in what came down, but that wasn't really the point of "urban renewal".     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Me, too.    Some tumble down shacks for sure, but also a striking number of very nice Victorian era churches, houses and retail buildings.    It's a shame the city/state could not have been more selective in what came down, but that wasn't really the point of "urban renewal".     

...and all of the buildings were in very bad shape from regular flooding, fires, and poor upkeep.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

The architecture is about what is in the Over the Rhine area of Cincinnati now. The buildings were about the same era, from the mid to late 1800s. This could have been our Over the Rhine area, but it would not have been as large as Cincinnati’s I don’t think.

A good comparison. Wish we could have saved the attractive buildings that were in solid shape.

Edited by East Side Urbanite
  • Like 1

From what I've seen, it looked like the buildings on the top of Capitol Hill and along Union Street were ornate and large upper-middle class homes, while the lower end of the west side had shacks.  I'm guessing the lower end of the east side was commercial right from the start as it's closer to the river and the stockyards (then).